BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed the Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars, Back rest, and Luggage Rack. I saved a ton of money by ordering these parts from a french website www.sdmoto-parts.com/en/ free shipping as well. The instructions were not the greatest by any means at all. The quality and fit are very good.
I have also installed Ilium Works engine guards and highway pegs because I kept scraping the stock floorboards in the tighter twisties in the canyons. After installing the Ilium Works engine guards and highway pegs, I no longer have ground clearance issues, I also think they look better than the stock floor boards. John at Ilium Works was a big help, and they have detailed installation videos on their website. The quality and fit of the engine guard and highway pegs are very good as well.
The stock windshield has been replaced by a larger one with a curve at the top of the screen. This is a 18 inch windshield by 7jurock. This windshield provides much more protection than the stylish shorty that comes stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just installed the Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars, Back rest, and Luggage Rack. I saved a ton of money by ordering these parts from a french website www.sdmoto-parts.com/en/ free shipping as well. The instructions were not the greatest by any means at all. The quality and fit are very good.
I have also installed Ilium Works engine guards and highway pegs because I kept scraping the stock floorboards in the tighter twisties in the canyons. After installing the Ilium Works engine guards and highway pegs, I no longer have ground clearance issues, I also think they look better than the stock floor boards. John at Ilium Works was a big help, and they have detailed installation videos on their website. The quality and fit of the engine guard and highway pegs are very good as well.
The stock windshield has been replaced by a larger one with a curve at the top of the screen. This is a 18 inch windshield by 7jurock. This windshield provides much more protection than the stylish shorty that comes stock.
I like that setup a lot. Looks great!

I also ordered parts from sd-moto. Wasn't sure if it was legit at first, but they were great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did the back rest come from?
I didn't see it on that site.
If you type in Wunderlich Black Cushion for BMW K1600B Sissy Bar in SD Moto Parts search bar, the option for the back rest and pad will come up. I think they call the back rest a Wunderlich Black Sissy Bar BMW K1600B.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just installed the Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars.
I really like their looks on the bike. I have seen a few of the Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars for re-sale and also a few posts about them not sticking out far enough to actually protect the bags. Now that you have them on, how do they look to you as far as providing the expected protection?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like their looks on the bike. I have seen a few of the Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars for re-sale and also a few posts about them not sticking out far enough to actually protect the bags. Now that you have them on, how do they look to you as far as providing the expected protection?
As soon as I have the time and can get a buddy to help me lay the bike over on it's side I will see what touches first, the bags or bars lol. I will post photos of the results. Hopefully by the end of next week.

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
For a "rough idea" with the bike on the side stand take a sheet of plywood on the right side of the bike and jamb it into both tires at ground level and then lift it up, to simulate the ground, and see what touches first.
In an actual tip over the bike may roll up on it's side.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
From the Photos it looks like the bars will protect the exhaust, but the bags may touch the pavement first. That said photographs can be deceptive, something tells me Wunderlick tried this, and the bars function as expected. Either way it looks great enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although I did not have a piece of plywood, I did take Arizona Jim's advice and used a white 1/4 board I had in the garage to simulate the ground. The Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars will save the bags and pipes if the bike tips over. The reason I bought these bars is about a month ago I had a small child break away from his parents and run in front of me and as I put my left foot down, my foot slipped under some leaves, and in slow motion my bike and I went down. I scratched the left mirror cover and the left pannier door. The parts cost me $925.00 even with a small discount from the BMW dealer. These bars are about half that cost, $438.00 with free shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate you posting your results. Peace of mind is important when you invest in something like that.
No Problem.
Ilumi Works also carries a rear crash bar that protects the panniers. I think the Wunderlich bars look better.
They post photos on their site showing the bike on its side to show that all your shiny parts will be protected.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I love the new additions, I have also used a Polish eBay site /shop to buy OME parts that saved me over 50% on some things even with the Import duties that we have to pay.It does pay to do some searching around when buying anything.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
1st B that I have seen that didn't have floorboards or the lower storage compartments. Did you special order it that way?

·
Registered
157 Posts
1st B that I have seen that didn't have floorboards or the lower storage compartments. Did you special order it that way?
In the first post he stated he replaced the stock engine guard and floorboard for Illium Works pieces. That's a nice look.

I've never seen a B with the lower storage compartment you mention. Mine certainly doesn't have one. Can you post a pic or link to what that looks like?

Zach

1 - 20 of 21 Posts