BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 GA purchased just over 2 years ago. At the time, my nearsightedness wasn’t so bad. I’m finding it more difficult to read the speed. I’ve found reading glasses aren’t an option. I’ve put a 1/8 inch strip of black chart tape on the speedo face over the 65mph (using my reading glasses), to help me know when I’ve passed the limit. I’ve searched this forum for a similar topic with no results. The NAV VI digital display is blurry. Anybody know if a prescription helmet visor is available? Even a cover over the speedo to magnify it would probably work. Looking for suggestions other than LASIK. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Do you use the radio a lot? If not, you can use the large digital speed display.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I have a 2018 GA purchased just over 2 years ago. At the time, my nearsightedness wasn’t so bad. I’m finding it more difficult to read the speed. I’ve found reading glasses aren’t an option. I’ve put a 1/8 inch strip of black chart tape on the speedo face over the 65mph (using my reading glasses), to help me know when I’ve passed the limit. I’ve searched this forum for a similar topic with no results. The NAV VI digital display is blurry. Anybody know if a prescription helmet visor is available? Even a cover over the speedo to magnify it would probably work. Looking for suggestions other than LASIK. Thank you.

If you can see the needle on the speedometer 60MPH is at 9 o'clock and in most cases up there in Virginia your already speeding. My suggestion is pace the traffic in most cases they'll be over the speed limit anyway. :) If your sight is that bad how did you get your license renewed ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can see the needle on the speedometer 60MPH is at 9 o'clock and in most cases up there in Virginia your already speeding. My suggestion is pace the traffic in most cases they'll be over the speed limit anyway. :) If your sight is that bad how did you get your license renewed ?
I need glasses for reading, not driving. My distance vision is fine.

·
Registered
958 Posts
1/2 size reading glasses, bifocals, progressive glasses? The digital speed read out with the radio off? A bigger GPS mounted on the handle bar?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
View attachment 142601
The speed display is actually smaller than the odometer.
Im suffering from the same deteriorating eye sight as well. I've bought some bifocal safety glasses, with the correct strength so I can read the instruments clearly and still see down the road. You can pick them up fairly cheaply on amazon and you can also get bifocal sunglasses. I had to buy a couple of pairs too get the right position of the bifocal but they work really well.

I've also had some success with these Stick On Bifocals. I've put them on ordinary sunglasses. They don't use glue. You wet the surface before you apply them and they 'stick' really well and you can remove them with no trace. They are a bit fiddly to get the air bubbles out but if you percevere they work well. You can also trim them to shape.

Just my experience. It may help.

Getting old is a bummer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to guess you haven't seen an optometrist yet? There are definitely a few ways to address this without LASIK. My optometrist helped me come up with some great solutions:

1: On days I wear contact lenses:
-In my right eye I wear a multi-focal contact lense to be able to read the speedometer or my phone more easily whether on the motorcycle or not (and still having the benefit of seeing far with that eye); my left eye has a contact lense to sharpen my distance vision (in your case, you don't even have to wear a contact lense in your "distance" eye). I was really concerned it would be really weird having one eye optimized for distance and the other optimized for reading the speedo but my optometrist was right, my brain adapted and I am perfectly satisfied with my short and long distance vision.

2: On days I wear glasses, I have progressive lenses. I look a little lower than midpoint of my lenses, I can see the speedometer. I look up or straight, I can see the road with better than 20/20 vision. Yes, I realize you don't have distance vision problems, so you just have the optometrist set your lenses for no correction when you look up. AND, before you have your progression in your lenses set by your optometrist, work with him/her to set your correction for the size and distance of your speedometer and where in the progressive zone you view the speedometer so you don't have to tilt your unnaturally up or down to read it.

If you have already seen an optometrist and they told you that you are out of luck, I would suggest a second opinion.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Littlegroovy , don’t know how your post disappeared, but thanks for the advice. I had LASIK done 12 years ago but wasn’t offered the split approach. I do need to see an optometrist even though it’s like admitting to getting old! Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're welcome. I fixed a typo, then got this message (which hasn't gone away):
"This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."

Glad what I said may be helpful and good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
The NAV VI digital display is blurry.
I too can't make out the speedometer numbers without glasses but don't ride with glasses on...distance vision is fine. When I need to read something, I wear +2.0 readers.

The usefulness of the Nav VI depends on which "dashboard" you select. Some have larger numbers than others. The one I use is easily readable.

It also changes the color of the speed to red when you are above what it believes is the limit (usually correct).

This is the one you want...

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I had laser lens replacement, distance was fine but reading a keyboard was impossible without glasses. I don't need glasses at all now (though i wear a pair to remove screen glare as the eyes get much brighter), the other up side is you can never get cataracts. £5000 to have done, but worth it

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm farsighted so my vision issues became apparent when my arms started getting too short 😉. I started with half glasses, then moved to bifocals with no Rx on top, then 2 sets of bifocals, one near (desk distance) & far, the other desk & computer monitor distance. When I started thinking about a third pair for monitor/dashboard distance + far I gave up and went to progressive lenses (no-line bifocals). It's annoying to have to point my face at the mirrors instead of just moving my eyes but whachagonnado? This was over a period of maybe 10 years and astigmatism had developed which was affecting my distance vision too, so the clear tops weren't working either.

At 45 I had 20/15 uncorrected vision. Twenty years later I have 20/20 but it's corrected with +1.5 distance, +3.0 near, and astigmatism correction. It wasn't pleasant making the adjustment. LASIK seems best at fixing nearsightedness which isn't my problem, so I didn't ask if it can deal with astigmatism.

·
Registered
4 Posts

buy some stick on reader lens to put on inside if riding glasses. Works like a charm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts