BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having followed this forum for awhile, it’s obvious there‘s a wealth of information available here. What I haven’t found though is an answer to a question about the Remus exhaust baffles, as in how do I know if there are a set inside?
A little historical background may make me appear a little less ignorant, I hope.
Having reached a point in my life whereas the success of the sadistic German engineers to incrementally increase the seat height of my beloved bought new in 2007 Remus equipped K1200GT without my notice (and no, it has NOTHING to do with my postponing of the suggested hip surgery when COVID first came about), I followed my younger brothers suggestion of a newer (lower) easily straddled K1600. Having tried several on for size at Sierra BMW the B/GA seemed most accommodating.
With the sale of my GT last year the search went forth immediately on the web to which I found an Imperial Blue 2019 loaded GA with 1601 miles on the odo, at a HD dealership in Farmers Branch, TX. “Loaded” included all the options that year, “chipped” and a Remus exhaust.
A conversation ensued as to why it had the mileage was so low; the previous owner bought it new in Montana (confirmed thru a VIN check on my part). He had been a HD rider all his life so when this was recalled for the transmission fiasco he made them buy it and bought a new Harley.
I bought this bike at a terrific price.

Now to the crux of the question (you thought I’d NEVER get there didn’t you🤔?
Having put some mileage on it I find the sound of the Remus on my new bike is intoxicating-and unfortunately loudly droning on long distance rides involving straight roads at times.

Is there any easy way to know if the baffles are intact without removing the exhaust?

Any and all input is appreciated.

The reverse engagement/grinding question will be saved for another time…

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm only familiar with the RemusCustom Quad Exhaust which I have on my '19 B and being the GA is a B with a few additions, is this the exhaust you have?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

• Love
Reactions: Damian M

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Db killers (baffles) are in the rear of each muffler held in by 2 Torx head screws at the 3 & 9 o'clock position and are +/- 4-3/4" in length. IF your GA came with the Db killers (which ARE included with the purchase of the exhaust from Remus) just remove the 2 Torx screws from each muffler and they'll come right out

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist

Automotive tire Camera lens Wood Camera accessory Rim

Adhesive Automotive tire Household hardware Finger Wood

·
XXXX for Bogans, VB the best beer
Waiting for my K1600 B Have it now
3,390 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Nevadahalfrack
If you remove them, when you quickshift down the bike will crackle and pop as you decelerate. Get ready for Young Hoons wanting to race you from the lights.

I put Remus Headers on my bike as well ( not sure if it makes a difference to the popping etc,) It sure makes the Harley Boys look when they hear my bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Db killers (baffles) are in the rear of each muffler held in by 2 Torx head screws at the 3 & 9 o'clock position and are +/- 4-3/4" in length. IF your GA came with the Db killers (which ARE included with the purchase of the exhaust from Remus) just remove the 2 Torx screws from each muffler and they'll come right out

View attachment 163403

View attachment 163404

View attachment 163405
Thank you very much! I‘ll get underneath tomorrow and check to make sure they’re still there.

·
3,390 Posts
Visually you should be able to see if there in or out. There is a extra flange ring with slots where the screws hold them in position.
I have attached a photo of mine, without baffles in, for reference. ( excuse the not washed photo )
If the baffles are in you should see a extra flange. You Will see with mine out just screws and no flange.
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Circle Bicycle part

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Visually you should be able to see if there in or out. There is a extra flange ring with slots where the screws hold them in position.
I have attached a photo of mine, without baffles in, for reference. ( excuse the not washed photo )
If the baffles are in you should see a extra flange. You Will see with mine out just screws and no flange. View attachment 163513

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the baffles are in you should see a extra flange. You Will see with mine out just screws and no flange. View attachment 163513

·
3,390 Posts
Navadahalfrack Im pleased to enlighten you. YOU ARE MAD DOGGIN WITH NO BAFFLES Welcome to the Hoonhead BMW Group

The next photo we want to see, is your tyres shredded from edge to edge. Because they are looking too nice and new at the moment. Baffles Out Means Hoonhead Riding

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Navadahalfrack Im pleased to enlighten you. YOU ARE MAD DOGGIN WITH NO BAFFLES Welcome to the Hoonhead BMW Group

The next photo we want to see, is your tyres shredded from edge to edge. Because they are looking too nice and new at the moment. Baffles Out Means Hoonhead Riding
Damian M., scojoe-thank you both again! And yes, those tires look entirely too new on the edges so that must be rectified ASAP. Been riding it to work lately as it’s more fulfilling to make a payment to BMW every month than to make a payment to a shrink for an hour, and it accomplishes more-especially by cheating the oil companies out of a profit by buying less and riding more!
Nevadahalfrack

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Nevadahalfrack
I'd be curious to know if it's possible to purchase just the baffles from Remus, the wait time and their cost if you decide to try and do so.
I found a distributor in PA with what appears to be a satellite office “up the road“ from here in Reno (NV). Closed on the weekends but I’ll be on the horn Monday. I’m sure they’re a Remus car exhaust outfit but sometimes we can find a way around the speed bump by appealing to their customer service attitude..
As Wayne Gretzky once said “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take..” (which is the American version of the old English saying “Nothing ventured nothing gained” which as you know that we sometimes have to translate to make it sound more “current”-but I digress..).
I will keep you all up to speed (pun intended!) of my progress. I hope to have a set of baffles to try out before the May annual ride my friends and I take around the US Northwest.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts