BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have finally decided to install the stage 2 Brent tune on my 2018, it is pricey but worth every dollar.
The bike is on steroids especially with the full exhaust, Yet to put my BMC filter.

Road mode is dynamic like and Dynamic is something completely different. The gearbox changes are crisp, top speed is non ending, I managed a 252 on GPS due to some radars ahead.

The bike is alive, I am really happy with the tune. I requested them to keep my cut off limiter stock at 8500 as they usually raise to 9000 rpm with stage 2 and fan settings same as stock too.

Did a dyno run while it has a stock tune but with full exhaust and gave me 128whp. Dyno Jet dyno.

I will put on dyno again to measure what is the increase in power and will update you all.

20200513_171239.jpg 20200514_110948.jpg 20200514_111131.jpg

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I would seriously loose the top box if you are pushing those speed regularly

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would seriously loose the top box if you are pushing those speed regularly
I have only taken my top box off the bike to clean it, ride often into 3 digit MPH speeds and have NEVER felt any stability issues.I certainly don't stay at 150mph or even 130mph BUT at those speeds for short bursts, I've not felt anything of concern. Riding a '14 K16GT

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Yeah, the GTs don't have an issue. I've had my '16 up over 120 and it's nothing but smoothe and stable

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think (and I dont want to talk on his behalf) is the thinking behind Moles statement was that the GTL is 'software limited' to 138MPH and the GT is not and it was mentioned it was due to supposed instability at high speed caused by the top box.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I see. Well I don't consider riding 150mph normal so it's probably not an issue. The GA is actually an issue.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
First I've heard of the GT having a stability issue. GA's do.
There are a few threads on this site discussing potential instability of GTLs (and GT’s with the top box mounted). I’ve never experienced the problem myself but I’ve also never had the opportunity to break the 120 MPH limit - or was that Highway 120? Search for “High Speed Instability” on this site for a July 2013 discussion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is like a bullet train with or without top box. Actually what I've noticed recently and was happy about the swap is that i returned the GT windshield instead of the Wunderlich marathon which is really huge. Big difference in stability especially when the wind is sideways.

The GT Windsheild is really aerodynamic with higher top speed, i just tuck myself and it goes like a TGV train. Noisy yes but i prefer ear plugs to bigger windshield.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ali, it’s not a question of losing the top box but rather of aerodynamic instability. The top box is not recommended at high speeds. That’s all based on a consensus of information and opinions so maybe others can chime-in here.
I don't cruise at that speeds but i hit 200's every now and then for few secs which i believe is fine. Can't remove the top box, it's so handy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There’s a label on the inside lid on the top case of my GT that says not to exceed 130 mph (I think) with the top case installed. I don’t know why, and I may have exceeded those speeds from time to time (closed course, professional driver of course) with no issues, but it seems like there could be an issue under certain circumstances.

Back on topic, glad you’re happy with the tune, I haven’t done it on mine yet, but I’m thinking I may do it after the 18k service coming up

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There’s a label on the inside lid on the top case of my GT that says not to exceed 130 mph (I think) with the top case installed. I don’t know why, and I may have exceeded those speeds from time to time (closed course, professional driver of course) with no issues, but it seems like there could be an issue under certain circumstances.

Back on topic, glad you’re happy with the tune, I haven’t done it on mine yet, but I’m thinking I may do it after the 18k service coming up
Sometimes i just feel lazy to pull the cable from under the seat. I shouldn't have installed the brake light on it.

For the tune. You will love it. Spooling is fast.

I've tried it on with a GS1250 rolling start on second gear and was shocked i was able to overtake him on such low gear. GS is known for the fast acceleration on second.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you using an octane booster? 91 Octane is the highest around here so I have to use a booster with the Stage 2 tune.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Are you using an octane booster? 91 Octane is the highest around here so I have to use a booster with the Stage 2 tune.
@capav8r is an Amsoil dealer. I've heard that they sell a booster product...only .4 oz to boost a gallon from 91 to 93. That's about 2.4 oz per tank. I think some guys carry small squirt bottles with pre-measured amounts per tank for travel. Just thought you might be interested. Send him a message if so. I have a friend with the Stage 2 and loves it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW. From the 1600GT Riders Manual:
"Maximum payload and maximum speed
Observe maximum payload and maximum speed as indicated on label in the topcase.
The following values apply to the combination described here:
max 112 mph (max 180 km/h)
max 22 lbs (max 10 kg)"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts