BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I do a bit of marshalling I'd like to replace the stock mirrors with larger ones so I can better keep track of the "pack" behind me whilst doing so.

Can the collective wisdom of the forum help with knowledge/suggestions on this?

For preference the replacements would use the existing mounts.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Just a thought... Are the GTL mirrors significantly larger? I suspect they are the same fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
They are larger and worked well for me, but I do not have issues with the GT mirrors either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are larger and worked well for me, but I do not have issues with the GT mirrors either.
For normal riding I think the stock mirrors are fine (albeit a bit small), but for the marshalling there's a lot more focus on what's behind than regular riding. Basically doing 50-250km at ~40km/hr whilst having about 50% focus on the action to the rear - got to keep an eye out for break-outs etc. :)

My worry about the GTL mirrors is that they seem to have shorter stems - at least on-line - haven't had the oppurtunity to check them out live.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I think the GT mirrors do a great job at providing a stable picture to the rear, and that picture is plenty big for me. The shape fits the GT's "persona," for lack of a better word, too.

I just hate that a GT with a separately bought color-matched top case is more expensive than a GTL, and the GT mirrors look totally cheap to me. I don't have to have pretty paint on them, but they don't even file or rub down the lines from the mold the plastic came out of. IMO, it's the only part of a bike I otherwise love that looks "cheap".

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
That's the one thing I'm going to miss from the B going to the GT is the blind spot mirrors. Do the B mirrors bolt directly onto a GT or is some modification required?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find the design of my GT mirrors nice just a bit small, but the quality of plastic and how they age (45days old bike) is does not really match the overall quality. I will live with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts