BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
well i am a marine engineer of 38 years plus if it has been overfilled it can break a piston or rings if this has happened i would want a new engine
to my knowledge i have not heard a oil separator failing who ? or where is your dealer have you got a lone bike and what year is your bike
note i have had six k1600 to date

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
After my last dealer service mine had too much oil in it when checked when I got home.
I'm pretty sure the oil was drained and the filter changed but not the upper internal sump, and then it was refilled with the 4.5L causing the overfill.
I did complain at the time to the service dept'.

·
Registered
704 Posts
All kidding aside an extra Quart is a lot of overfill.
Personally I would go there warm up the bike and check the dipstick.
If it's over serviced u can decide how u want to handle it.

Best of Luck

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
What are the chances that the tech did not know about, or forgot about the internal drain plug, and filled it with the normal amount?

Reactions: claw and d martin

·
International Man of Mystery
4,172 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10500 km
With the bike in the shop for a few weeks now, all evidence of a potential overfilling is erased or cannot be verified as the excess oil is already in the the airbox. When you look, you will see..............

Reactions: 1004ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks to all for your comments / replies. Ok, so week 3 today that the bike is with the dealer.... I’ve had to chase for updates on every occasion bar one in that time - not what I expect from a premium brand!

I actually spoke to the technician working on the bike yesterday - all breather hoses / tubes have been blown through and therefore clear. He claimed that the oil level was correct when serviced (the day of the problem following the minor service - engine oil/filter and brake fluid change only), and that both the main and inner sumps were drained.

Since replacing the oil separator (as suggested by BMW UK) on the first start up - the bike is now only running on 5 cylinders / overheating! Worse then it was previously... The technician remains bemused by the problem, and has said that he will have to start taking off the radiator / removing spark plugs etc. When? He doesn’t know as they are so busy at the moment!

I just want my bike back in the same working order as it was, prior to the service. I’m considering contacting BMW UK direct to ask if my bike can be dealt with elsewhere by another dealer who has time to get this sorted out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well i am a marine engineer of 38 years plus if it has been overfilled it can break a piston or rings if this has happened i would want a new engine
to my knowledge i have not heard a oil separator failing who ? or where is your dealer have you got a lone bike and what year is your bike
note i have had six k1600 to date
This is my first K1600GT, it’s an SE model March 2019 with 4,600miles. The dealer is based in Hertfordshire - no loan bike offered

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My experience from previous bikes is oil overfill results in oil being dumped into the air box results in oil being pre mixed with air, particularly under load when more air is being sucked in, means oil charged air is burnt in combustion chamber result is good 2 stroke impersonation. Should not need engine taking apart, drain oil, clean air box, new filters and away you go.
The dealer / technician did exactly as you have described, the same thing happened on a test ride afterwards.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I suspect you need to elevate your complaint beyond the usual contact points, otherwise this will just drag on, as I can't see how the job can be shifted to an alterative dealer at this stage of proceedings: -

............. Customer Complaint Procedure

It almost sounds like a piston ringlands issue, which I thought was a problem that had been all but eliminated these days.

BTW, you need to press for a free loan bike - it always focusses the mind of any dealer & seems entirely reasonable given the background to the issue.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,878 Posts
I suspect the dealership are trying to cover up their ****-up and this makes them reluctant to start the warranty process with BMW Corp.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I actually spoke to the technician working on the bike yesterday - all breather hoses / tubes have been blown through and therefore clear. He claimed that the oil level was correct when serviced (the day of the problem following the minor service - engine oil/filter and brake fluid change only), and that both the main and inner sumps were drained.
At the dealership level, you need to be dealing directly with the Service Manager. He needs to take ownership of the problem and see it through. When my first engine was consumed too much oil (has since been replaced under warranty), the Service Manager called me with weekly updates as they worked through diagnosis. You'll need that relationship anyway when your bike gets repaired through the warranty process.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,878 Posts
It might be best to to flag up to BMW Corp. that you suspect incompetence of the dealership - let the service manager know that you want BMW Corp involved with what looks like a failed engine, and have him work out what he's going to tell them to convince them to honor a warranty replacement.

·
International Man of Mystery
4,172 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10500 km
work with the GM of the outfit, no legal threats until all other options are exhausted. Word from somebody with a long rap sheet of expensive warranty issues.

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, the bike ran fine prior to servicing and started acting up after servicing. It's a no brainer, the service department screwed up. Or, as timing would have it, you did crack a ring land. I have experienced that issue and it did blow wisps of white smoke at the beginning on acceleration then turned into a full fledged mosquito fogger. In both conditions it was white smoke but smelled like burnt oil. Funny thing was the engine never skipped a beat even though it was blowing smoke out the pipe. I had to replace my engine. 2018 B with 38K on the clock.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts