BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
9,329 Posts
@svfiat , I'm reading he's blowing smoke out of both exhausts. That would pretty much rule out a cracked ring land groove.

Duane

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks to all for your comments / replies. Ok, so week 3 today that the bike is with the dealer.... I’ve had to chase for updates on every occasion bar one in that time - not what I expect from a premium brand!

I actually spoke to the technician working on the bike yesterday - all breather hoses / tubes have been blown through and therefore clear. He claimed that the oil level was correct when serviced (the day of the problem following the minor service - engine oil/filter and brake fluid change only), and that both the main and inner sumps were drained.

Since replacing the oil separator (as suggested by BMW UK) on the first start up - the bike is now only running on 5 cylinders / overheating! Worse then it was previously... The technician remains bemused by the problem, and has said that he will have to start taking off the radiator / removing spark plugs etc. When? He doesn’t know as they are so busy at the moment!

I just want my bike back in the same working order as it was, prior to the service. I’m considering contacting BMW UK direct to ask if my bike can be dealt with elsewhere by another dealer who has time to get this sorted out.
I fear for you, buddy. For their flagship model, I don’t think BMW backs this bike nearly as well as they should. They certainly didn’t help me when they should have.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I fear for you, buddy. For their flagship model, I don’t think BMW backs this bike nearly as well as they should. They certainly didn’t help me when they should have.
Many of us have had good results from BMW for major warranty claims. I got an engine replacement out of the deal. The trick is to make sure that both the dealer GM and SM take ownership of the problem. Be polite, be professional, keep good records and stay with it. It works.

·
Registered
2013 GTL - 1993 CBR900RR
16 Posts
IMHO this always boils down the dealership on how they handle problems. Some are great and some suck arse......I had a head shake issue with my 2017 Triumph T120 and took it back to the dealership I purchased it new from (I won't mention names GO AZ Scottsdale) oops.....and they had zero interest in resolving my issue after 3 attempts to get them to figure it out. Long story short, I took it to a competitor Triumph Dealer (Phoenix Triumph) and explained my situation and they looked into it and busted arse to figure out the issue. Ultimately it was my front wheel, which had a bad weld and was not true, causing the issue. They got it fixed under warranty at no cost to me. They didn't even sell me the motorcycle, but they still worked to resolve the issue and I would highly recommend them to anyone in the Phoenix Valley looking for Triumph sales or service. Not so much on the other guys. The difference between the two dealerships....one is a big cooperate chain operation and the other a small family owned company.......I'll leave that up to you to decide which is better...........

·
Registered
212 Posts
i would now step it up now with customs service you can find their number online
you are without a bike for one thing
the only other problem is getting parts i know this as my mate is chief mechanic for a well known dealer in the south
i have been dealing with bmw warranties for about 10 years of owning bm.s
you have to keep at them it works

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi, I must admit I initially suspected they might have overfilled the oil as the manual states 4.5 litres however, on the invoice they charged for 5.5 litres? Would an extra litre of oil potentially cause this though?
5.5 L = 5.81 Quarts, that's a lot of oil!

·
Registered
212 Posts
yes it will chuck it in the air box and the into intake manifold
on the plus side you have a invoice for the oil
go for it don't try to be nice you are forgotten in 5min
go for it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,
May I offer a valuable solution to the blue exhaust smoke which is a result of an overfilled condensate hose and consequently oil overfilled air box with any excess oil then being sucked into the combustion engine causing the blue smoking. Based on my own experience and success in repairing this now rather obvious issue, you may find the below report helpful:
Background:
My K1600 GT has now 86,000 km on the clock and is a 2015 model. Of late, I noticed an ever increase of serious blue smoke coming from all exhaust pipes and consequently I had to drain over 250ml each 500 km run time. The oil looked light brown - unlike the more natural darker brown colour of motor oil kept in the engine block.
Steps taken:
1) I emptied the condensate hose.
2) To check that Ringlands weren't broken by revving the bike up to 7000 rev./min in the 2 and or 3 gear, and instead of shifting another gear up, I kept the gear but instead let the engine break slowly to lower revs. If Ringlands were broken, then oil would have been sucked into the combustion chamber, past the rings. However, in my case there was no blue smoke, which confirmed that no Ringlands and pistons were damaged.
3) I replaced all 6 x Kettle Valves (Part number: 11 73 7 672 759 ) housed in the Rocket Cover connecting the Secondary Air Intake system with the air box. Although a source of possible fault, the replacement produced no help in stopping for the oil to be collected in the air box.
4) I then removed the air box including its associated 2x vent tubes ( 11117724067 & 13717724069) and the return hose (11118525702) which connect the air box with the motor block via the Crankcase air ventilation/ oil separator (11 15 7 720 968). The vent hoses were nearly fully blocked, which means that any oil over fill into the air box could not return to the engine block.
5) Upon cleaning all hoses and the air box, I now have solved the problem. The condensate hose is dry as it should be and the blue smoking has fully stopped. I can only deduce that 85K is sufficient time for the vent hoses to have blocked (similar to a blocked artery) and required a full cleaning. I am however surprised that this is not part of the maintenance regime suggested by BMW. The whole repair job will take you around 4 hours. It's easy.
6) The enclosed photos my help better understand the repair work.
SAFE RIDING!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,878 Posts
Hi All,
May I offer a valuable solution to the blue exhaust smoke which is a result of an overfilled condensate hose and consequently oil overfilled air box with any excess oil then being sucked into the combustion engine causing the blue smoking. Based on my own experience and success in repairing this now rather obvious issue, you may find the below report helpful:
Background:
My K1600 GT has now 86,000 km on the clock and is a 2015 model. Of late, I noticed an ever increase of serious blue smoke coming from all exhaust pipes and consequently I had to drain over 250ml each 500 km run time. The oil looked light brown - unlike the more natural darker brown colour of motor oil kept in the engine block.
Steps taken:
1) I emptied the condensate hose.
2) To check that Ringlands weren't broken by revving the bike up to 7000 rev./min in the 2 and or 3 gear, and instead of shifting another gear up, I kept the gear but instead let the engine break slowly to lower revs. If Ringlands were broken, then oil would have been sucked into the combustion chamber, past the rings. However, in my case there was no blue smoke, which confirmed that no Ringlands and pistons were damaged.
3) I replaced all 6 x Kettle Valves (Part number: 11 73 7 672 759 ) housed in the Rocket Cover connecting the Secondary Air Intake system with the air box. Although a source of possible fault, the replacement produced no help in stopping for the oil to be collected in the air box.
4) I then removed the air box including its associated 2x vent tubes ( 11117724067 & 13717724069) and the return hose (11118525702) which connect the air box with the motor block via the Crankcase air ventilation/ oil separator (11 15 7 720 968). The vent hoses were nearly fully blocked, which means that any oil over fill into the air box could not return to the engine block.
5) Upon cleaning all hoses and the air box, I now have solved the problem. The condensate hose is dry as it should be and the blue smoking has fully stopped. I can only deduce that 85K is sufficient time for the vent hoses to have blocked (similar to a blocked artery) and required a full cleaning. I am however surprised that this is not part of the maintenance regime suggested by BMW. The whole repair job will take you around 4 hours. It's easy.
6) The enclosed photos my help better understand the repair work.
SAFE RIDING!
Thanks for that.

This has been a cure for a few members, but not all - it doesn't seem to have worked for @RefCat

When I had my airbox off I found a lot of water in it, but no oil.
The breather pipes were also full of the firm emulsion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, Thanks for sharing. I would firstly check if the water coolant infill tank has lost fluid. Check the water level. Best is you unmount the right side fairing to have optimal access. Takes 5 minutes only.
Water in the airbox has to be drawn from somewhere. Normally it is an indication of a blown head gasket. But highly unlikely. How much water was in the air box? What colour? Was it mixed with engine oil? I would assess this first and then analyze other options. Cheers

41 - 55 of 55 Posts