BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know there's some quite old articles about this, however, post COVID i thought i'd treat my 2012 GT to a new set of boots, however, am not sure if there's much choice out there. Most of my riding is fast A-Road and a little motorway use, usually with light luggage, but i'd like something which improves the front end feel if possible.

Any recent experience would be welcome around makes/models, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
@simonh Just a heads up...asking about tyres/tires on a forum can get you flamed. There is no consensus on best or good. There are a number of manufacturers and price points. Some people use auto tires on the rear, called going to the darkside. I suggest using the search feature above and you'll get lots of opinions. It may be that the feel of the front end is due to the telelever design. It doesn't give me the feedback like a traditional forked front does. It's been a learning curve to trust it when it feels so different than the bikes I learned to ride on. But it is great for removing the dive and smoothing the ride. Stick with a reputable manufacturer and a tire rated for heavy sport-tour machines. Dunlop RSIIIs, Metzeler Roadtec 01s (HWM), Bridgestone, Avon, Pirelli Angels, Michelin PRs. Lots of good options. Lots of strong opinions. If you're commuting with lots of miles, you'll go through many pairs and can play the field.

Reactions: dobervol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi all, I know there's some quite old articles about this, however, post COVID i thought i'd treat my 2012 GT to a new set of boots, however, am not sure if there's much choice out there. Most of my riding is fast A-Road and a little motorway use, usually with light luggage, but i'd like something which improves the front end feel if possible.

Any recent experience would be welcome around makes/models, thanks.
It's down to personal-I have Dunlop Road Smart 3s and whilst not has fast as Michelins I think they will last a lot longer.
RIDE mag did a review last month and I attach a few of their reviews but one mans meat is another mans poison
E0F1ACAC-96D0-49C5-8135-70F3A09E799F.jpeg
122B8DBC-3D92-410F-8C0C-F47E7B2E2F02.jpeg
E7E72062-5760-497E-9C6B-94A3B3C9F758.jpeg

Reactions: dobervol and J-Luv

·
Registered
220 Posts
Metzeler Roadtec 01 won tyre of the year 2017 from MCN, you'll want the HWM ones. I'm happy with them with 5K on them so far, probably 1000 miles left.

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Andy, thank you so much for this, very useful and exactly the advice that I was hoping someone could help with - that's extremely helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Metzeler Roadtec 01 won tyre of the year 2017 from MCN, you'll want the HWM ones. I'm happy with them with 5K on them so far, probably 1000 miles left.

Joe
Hi Joe, thank you very much, that's very helpful, to my mind this shows the value of this kind of forum where we can all benefit from other experience. I am aware that there are other threads on the forum around tyres, and broadly it's a vey subjective thing - with 40 years riding experience, fully aware of this, however, tyre tech continues to constantly evolve and some models benefit for some of this. Much appreciated, and thanks to all for their input so far.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I’m back from putting 800 miles in the New Mexico mountains on a set of Bridgestone T31’s.
No, they aren’t the sexiest or most popular tire and I didn’t purchase them because they were inexpensive. But they have delivered everything I could want from a tire. As I mentioned I rode several hundred miles in the mountains earlier this week in both good conditions as well as rain. They did exactly what I expect from a tire which is you don’t notice anything. They stuck to the road, didn’t squirm, and provided a very good ride.
You won’t find a lot of people touting them because they aren’t the hot tire to buy, but if you’re looking for a good solid tire that delivers you can do a lot worse.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I've used a lot of different brands. Bridgestone is the worst. Can you use them? Yes. I'm not saying thay are a bad tire because they are not but there are so many better choics I don't know why you would. The Michelin PR5 is haveing quality control problems right now so don't even consiter that one. The Metzler 01 front is made in China. Any other tire would be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've used a lot of different brands. Bridgestone is the worst. Can you use them? Yes. I'm not saying thay are a bad tire because they are not but there are so many better choics I don't know why you would. The Michelin PR5 is haveing quality control problems right now so don't even consiter that one. The Metzler 01 front is made in China. Any other tire would be fine.
Thanks Rick - again useful info - much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM fitted to replace The Michelin pr5 GT’s due to rear one rubbing ( first one in uk apparently) haven’t done many miles on them but happy so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM fitted to replace The Michelin pr5 GT’s due to rear one rubbing ( first one in uk apparently) haven’t done many miles on them but happy so far.
Thanks - that's interesting, especially with the previous comments made around 'quality' of M PR5's., thanks for the info, very useful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Rick - very interesting, and useful info, much appreciated.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,343 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts