BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest K16GT hasn't got the Audio Option, which I know is a little unusual, but I have a couple of questions:

• Has anyone else removed the speaker grills and put something else there? Any good 3D printing people that could make some small compartments for change etc here?
  • I hate the look of the blanked off buttons, has anyone else tried to cover these up? I was thinking of filling these and then putting a wrap of some kind over to cover them?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Your power to weight ratio has improved w/o the audio option. Don’t mess it up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My GT doesn't have the audio as I think it is pointless. Not concerned about the fake grills or blanked off buttons.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You might be able to replace the buttons with functional switches and other controls for ancillary lights and things of that nature. You're not missing much with the stock BMW audio/entertainment crap they put on the bike. I believe someone made storage areas out of the speaker cut outs, though I don't remember the details.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Does this mean you are missing the Nav option then? - I thought one had to opt for Audio in the UK, to access Nav prep.

As per post 4, I seem to recall some small storage areas being created in an old post, a bit like say those on a Honda Pacific Coast. A lot of hassle for little reward I suspect.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
You know... I was thinking about a couple of products that could be placed in lieu of the front speakers on my Grand. I never emit audio on my bike; always use a headset. I was thinking about building a prototype but I'd have to improve my fabrication skills.

Locking compartments. Electronics enclosures. Rocket launchers. There are a lot of things I can think of for that space.

My thought was to use an existing speaker assembly and make a plug of it to pour a female mold for. Then make new male blanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does this mean you are missing the Nav option then? - I thought one had to opt for Audio in the UK, to access Nav prep.

As per post 4, I seem to recall some small storage areas being created in an old post, a bit like say those on a Honda Pacific Coast. A lot of hassle for little reward I suspect.
Nope. I have the Nav option on mine that can be accessed from the Wonder Wheel. It was not an optional extra.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nope. I have the Nav option on mine that can be accessed from the Wonder Wheel. It was not an optional extra.
Hi Dave W, does it work fully - I had a look and I cant seem to get it to zoom in and out like it did on my last bike? A lot of the other features work, but not all?

Does it sink with the fuel tank so comes up with the low warning when the fuel level is low?

Running a Nav VI

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... As per post 4, I seem to recall some small storage areas being created in an old post, a bit like say those on a Honda Pacific Coast. A lot of hassle for little reward I suspect.
I would like it for tolls, side stand pucks etc - seems quite useful to me. The cabby holes by your legs aren't particularly useful when your riding. I have had a hunt and can't find anything.

I need someone who is good with a 3D printer designs.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I have the audio but never use it as I rely on my iPhone with a bluetooth connection to my Sena 20Evo. Much higher quality sound.

I would be interested in replacing my speakers with a lockable storage area.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Dave W, does it work fully - I had a look and I cant seem to get it to zoom in and out like it did on my last bike? A lot of the other features work, but not all?

Does it sink with the fuel tank so comes up with the low warning when the fuel level is low?

Running a Nav VI
Yes it zooms in and out from the wheel, and I can change screen, skip music tracks etc. I have not seen the fuel level feature, so it might not work or I have not enabled it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes it zooms in and out from the wheel, and I can change screen, skip music tracks etc. I have not seen the fuel level feature, so it might not work or I have not enabled it?
In South Africa all GT's that are built for this market, has no audio. We cannot even option it on a GT. GTL'S and bagger's come standard with Audio.

All features with the nav works just like the bigger brothers with audio. I am taking delivery on my GT sport and I also do not like the look of the blanked out Audio buttons, so I will probably cover them up with vynal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
In South Africa all GT's that are built for this market, has no audio. We cannot even option it on a GT. GTL'S and bagger's come standard with Audio.

All features with the nav works just like the bigger brothers with audio. I am taking delivery on my GT sport and I also do not like the look of the blanked out Audio buttons, so I will probably cover them up with vynal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
To be 100% honest I think the Audio system that BMW has sucked and is useless I would not be bothered if our bikes came out the same as your bikes do as I never use the radio etc . on the BMW as I find the blue tooth system in my helmet a much better , clearer and has more functions that you can use and hear. This is only my opinion not I know there would be a lot that would agree with what I said and some that are just happy to have what they have on the bikes. The price we pay for the BMW bikes they should have a stereo system that is a first-class, not a second grade. Harly, Indian and Honda could tech BMW how to do a great system that you can hear at all speeds plus incorporates a Navigation system. Not a Garmin that you have to stick into a socket and hope no one steals it lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts