BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have used an '05LT as a sidecar tug for more than 10 years. The LT is tired and I'd like to replace it with a GTL. I recently found a '13 with only 9K miles. But. . .it's seven years old and there have been plenty of advances to the GTL over those years. Reverse might come in handy. I've been saving my nickles and can afford a new bike but the sidecar will void the warranty. Any thoughts on a '13 for this purpose? Go new and just forget the warranty? Look for a two-four year old used bike instead?
1262741_10202185729792664_1343742172_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I disagree with your, "..have been plenty of advances to the GTL over the years." Not really, shift assist, hill start, Pro-ABS, and reverse are about it... And the newer, >'17, have drastically reduced throttle response.

Duane

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree with your, "..have been plenty of advances to the GTL over the years." Not really, shift assist, hill start, Pro-ABS, and reverse are about it... And the newer, >'17, have drastically reduced throttle response.

Duane
Duane, maybe I should have been more direct asking my question: Have there been enough advances in the GTL between '13 and '20 that a '13 with 9K on the clock should be passed over as a sidecar tug? I'm thinking that many of the the electronic additions you list won't be much appreciated once the bike is hooked up with a hack. Yes? Can you tell me about the diminished throttle response on the later bikes?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I disagree with your, "..have been plenty of advances to the GTL over the years...
Don't forget the 2019's comfort turn signals.

One a more serious note, I would assume that the 2017's reverse would be a good thing if you have a side cart.

FYi, all the upgrades mentioned by Duane should be on the 2017 GTL, which is when the bike was restyled a little. Though some were options. Other differences include instrument cluster change (2014), wider seat and grab bars (2014), keyless start (2015), louder horn (2017) and supposedly larger, better mirrors as part of 2017 restylings.

I agree with Duane in that my 2012 is fine for me, and I am not upgrading. But if shopping now, I would consider a 2017 model.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Wayne, I'd say no. I've had my '12 GT since October 2012. I've 'been' ready to buy new but there's no was a '20 is worth $20,000 more than my '12. Pricing for a '13 should be around $10k now. I'd go for it. To learn about the detune try a search "Bren Tune" for everything you ever wanted to know. Simply, throttle response was detuned to get the K bike to meet European EU4 emission requirements.

Duane

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget the 2019's comfort turn signals. Still not enough for me to upgrade.

One a more serious note, I would assume that the 2017's reverse would be a good thing if you have a side cart.
I had two LTs with reverse and used that feature once in a while but less after I put on the sidecar. Turns out that pushing a rig around is pretty easy. .

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If reverse isn't a biggie then I agree with @Gunnert -- you can save a ton on a gently used '13 versus a newer model and you get superior throttle response, to boot.

·
Registered
441 Posts
no [way] a '20 is worth $20,000 more
$3295 - BMW's pricing of the upgrades when introduced. 💰 I made this when thinking about upgrading.

@Wayne Edkin Here are the performance differences by year. Most 2017 upgrades are on bikes made during and after August 2017, aka 2018 models.

2015^ Hill Start Control, $75. Standard on 2014 GTL Exclusive.

2015 Keyless Ride, $350.* Standard on 2014 GTL Exclusive. Part of Luxury Package in 2015.

2015 Dynamic Traction Control^, $495.

2016 - The Year BMW Added "Pro" to K1600 Options.

2016 ABS Pro replaced ABS (Optimized Cornering ABS)

2016 Hill Start Pro, $75, updated 2015’s Hill Start Control.

2016* Reverse assist, $445. Became standard* in 2018, $950 option on GT

2017* Shift Assist Pro, $475* Shift Assist Plain was Luxury Package in 2015.

2017 D-ESA Standard, was $950 option. Previously, ESA upgraded to ESA II in 2015.

And don't forget Comfort Turn Indicators became standard in 2019. If that doesn't get you mood to upgrade, nothing will.

^Became standard on GTL; part of GT safety package.

*Standard by 2020 GTL, but still part of GT “Select" Package. I have only seen one GT without the Select Package. The GT Select Package includes Central Locking System, Aux Lighting, Radio, Alarm, Bluetooth, GPS prep. If it has a radio, it has the select package.

Obviously to retro fit would be more. For example, the keyless thing would be about $1300, RF remote control locking system. 2018 BMW K1600GT | BMW Motorrad USA

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I'd love to get a new GTL, but IMHO, my 2011( called a 2012/ #386 off of the boat) rides better than the 2019's and with what I've done to her, in the way of farkles, the best bike I've ever owned. Reverse, if it's needed might be the difference, but in FLATlorida, not important. I'm not riding the long miles I used to but every time I do go for a ride it's better than the last and she still makes me smile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
DHENDY. . .good work on this comparison and price list. . I asked my dealer about all this and he gave me some general information but your list is more complete, especially with $$$$$$ numbers. As I look everything over, it seems to me that most of the upgrades after your '12 are most useful for the GTL as a solo ride. As a sidecar tug, most of the electronic imporvements are negligible with the possible exception of reverse. As I mentioned, however, my sidecar experience is pretty extensive and reverse is only useful when I screw up selecting a parking spot. I wondered about low end torgue, engine and transmission reliability and power, especially from a dead stop going up hill. Getting a loaded sidecar going, especially uphill, has been a strain on the LT's clutch. A few years ago, I ate up a clutch with stops and starts on the hills in Seattle. It sounds like all the 1600 power plant specs are the same with actual better throttle response on the older bikes. Do I have that right? Now those comfort turn signals. . .now there is a thing! Lots of snow where I live so all this is a fun winter project. Thanks for your help. Attached photo shows the sidecar I want to move off the LT and onto a GTL. 1262741_10202185729792664_1343742172_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I find the turn signals on my 2019 GTL perform virtually the same as my 2010 Honda Goldwing. Guess there has been nothing to annoy me with them, so I failed to note there was ever an issue :)

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
If you vote for the 2013, just make sure that it has all the software updates done and what the status with the switch clusters is. Practically all of them failed at one point and BMW replaced them in several campaigns. A look into the service history would be helpful to determine the status. I had a 2014, an early 2017 face lift and now ride a 2018.

As to the question 2013 vs newer it is a matter of what the modifications are worth to you. The - 2017 bikes had a great throttle response and performance, the newer ones feel neutered and they are. Only upgrade I really would miss is the shift assist because it appeals to my inner child. The reverse is a problem child, makes awful noise and is very limited as to inclines it can handle. I doubt it can help a lot with a heavy hack installed.
There is a gentleman from Germany who has a very special tilting sidecar which appears to be available in Germany. He is one of the few with a street legal sidecar attached to a K1600. If you consider to get in touch with him he is here on the very forum with the screen name Sir Arthur

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I've got comfort turn signals???
I got them too, I push the button they start working and when I push the button again they stop working. Very comfortable I must say

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Sir Arthur posts some wonderful trip videos from his travels.

That tilting capability is way cool! :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts