BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing either of these 2 bikes ...!

K1600 GTL .Well serviced but blowing blue/white smoke !
50.057 miles on clock !

Seller really honest.

Advice please.

K1200GT Not so well Serviced but only has 21.563 miles on clock.

Seller old man ( Pilot )

Phil

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Hi Phil, some more details would be useful, like age of the bikes. Also at 21K miles, not so well serviced - well not much servicing has been required. 18K miles is a biggy check, did it have that? otherwise only 6K, 12K and yearly and they're nothing special, oil & filters. You could tell the guy to get BMW to complete the 18K and then buy.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
514 Posts
I did. I said move on. Meaning look for others. You mentioned one is blowing smoke and the other is not well serviced. Why even consider either one of these when there are plenty of perfectly running K Bikes out there. I am sure this is true where you are at.

You mentioned nothing in your post of wanting advice on comfort, reliability, and style. A search will easily find many threads on this. Style is the subject you can answer for yourself. Unless, you only care about what others think.

Good luck in you search!

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
Well serviced but blowing blue/white smoke !
Why would anyone even be considering this, unless they've done their homework and know of a good deal on a new engine?

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
Hi Phil, some more details would be useful, like age of the bikes. Also at 21K miles, not so well serviced - well not much servicing has been required. 18K miles is a biggy check, did it have that? otherwise only 6K, 12K and yearly and they're nothing special, oil & filters. You could tell the guy to get BMW to complete the 18K and then buy.
Does that apply to a K1200GT ?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Good point, K1200 I never had one, but know someone still riding around on one, they seem pretty reliable. I assume the K12 had similar service intervals as K16 but could be wrong. Also on the K16, blowing blue smoke, , is it blowing smoke after warm up? There are way too many things to think about, could be no problem or big problem. How much blue smoke? just not enough information to suggest anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for reply.. K1200 is 2006 serviced at 19500 miles but valve clearances not done !

It's been stood for 4 years.

Passed British M.O.T .

K,1600 GTL is 2013.

Very well Serviced had good long chat with owner.

He purchased a new bike because he needs for his job.

Phil

·
Registered
578 Posts
If it were the K12 GT smoking on start-up after sitting overnight on the side stand, I'd say this was the oil left in the cylinders when it was shut down. The Flying Brick was notorious for this. The oil would seep past the pistons into the combustion chambers where it would be burned off on the next start-up. The smoking didn't last long, quit soon as the oil was burned off. With the K16, I'd be concerned about smoking since the oil can't travel uphill without being pushed. Seems like the "honest" man may not be quite so honest.

Reactions: Prince

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A BMW technician told me that years ago the factory would test a component within an inch of its life before allowing it to get to the customer !

Now QC is almost "Out the window " That's why there is so much going wrong with BMW bikes. !

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm told it could be valve guides, piston rings, or head gasket !

Phil
Phil,
No idea what your budget and purpose for buying is, I would start by deciding what your plan is and then decide if the K12 or K16 is a better fit. Then I would look on eBay and Autotrader to see what's out there. Once you know what you want then you should start searching, maybe wait a few months to see what's going on. For instance if you're hooked on a 2013/14/15 K16 then start looking at all the options in detail.

Also you might get some good advice on the BMW Club forum, http://forum.bmw-club.org.uk/ it's not as nice as this forum, but if you're in the market for something in the UK then lots of info here and wise old BMW owners who can tell you everything and anything as well as UK costs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The K 1200 GT has been stood for 4 plus years . Serviced at 19000 miles before it was stored in dry.

Then brought out and put back on road recently.

It's the K1600 that views blue/white smoke !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'm hoping to hook up with bikers from Moscow. I'm married to a very luscious Russian woman 20 years and counting.

It's a 6000 miles round trip, so need comfort and reliability !

·
International Man of Mystery
3,974 Posts
K1200 is too old, getting complicated to service and acquire parts. Depending on the year issues with ABS and electronics. A smoking K1600 can be a real money pit, a new engine which is the most likely cure is North of $12.000. I wouldn't touch either one. Get a 2016 GT which is most probably the best K1600 in the entire model history.

Reactions: capav8r and Prince

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
18K miles is a biggy check
Yes, I've owned three K1200Ss and two K1300Ss (still have my 2015 K1300S)... service intervals are the same as the K16...
The question was to do with the high cost of the valve clearance check on the K1600 at 18K mile intervals vs the same on the K1200GT - I'd expect its significantly lower on a 2 cylinder with easy access to the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
The question was to do with the high cost of the valve clearance check on the K1600 at 18K mile intervals vs the same on the K1200GT - I'd expect its significantly lower on a 2 cylinder with easy access to the valve covers.
The K1200GT is a four cylinder...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts