BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Putin rides a trike? Incapable of two wheels? Guessing he just doesn't ride at all and needed something for rough and tough propaganda. I think he's 5'7" or about 170cm, weighs 157lbs or 70ish kg and is 69 years old. Other than the age, a modern Napoleon complex.

·
Registered
556 Posts
New commercial for something with Napoleon in it..."Can you see me in the back? OK. I'll stand up!" Laughter from the crowd. :LOL::LOL:

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
At least you guys can carry guns in the US, here in commie Can we’re sitting ducks if Mr P gets offended. I’ve seen too many Borne Supremacy movies, I take anyone with power and money semi seriously….but really, a trike.😂 right now one of the worlds most powerful leaders, that’s powerful and not oldest.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Putin rides a trike? Incapable of two wheels? Guessing he just doesn't ride at all and needed something for rough and tough propaganda. I think he's 5'7" or about 170cm, weighs 157lbs or 70ish kg and is 69 years old. Other than the age, a modern Napoleon complex.
iu

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why not get N older goldwing 05/06 ish? More reliable and comfy for Russian wife.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am considering purchasing either of these 2 bikes ...!

K1600 GTL .Well serviced but blowing blue/white smoke !
50.057 miles on clock !

Seller really honest.

Advice please.

K1200GT Not so well Serviced but only has 21.563 miles on clock.

Seller old man ( Pilot )

Phil
for Phil and anyone else. German biker rides to Moscow to the night wolves. using the ferry to Helsinki and ferry to Russian harbor. then on to Moscow. on you tube. this video is vetted.

watch

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had the K1600GT (not L) and a K1200GT.
Of those 2, the 1200 is probably the better bike in my utterly idiotic opinion. The K1200gt is at least 200lbs lighter, reasonably close horsepower and torque. The riding experience is close enough. The K1200 is vastly cheaper to own and operate.

The 1200 though has some really gnarly problems: the clutch is problematic. I'm as cheap as all the rest of you, but I'd still recommend factory clutch replaced by a dealer. (The new, full clutch may have resolved the metallurgy problem of the design. The dealer can deal with the cursed gears behind the basket.)

The 1200 does not have a slipper clutch (Fat Cat stopped making theirs) which is a bit of a skill-challenge and a life-threatening disaster if the O2 sensor fails. O2 sensors are cheap, the generic Bosch unit works fine. See BeemerBoneYard.

The 1600 is all modern and spiffy, with bank-angle traction control and new infotainment center. But the 1200 display works pretty darned well. And let's face it, the 1600's are wide. Really really wide.

Honestly, the best of the K-bikes in my lousy opinion would be the K1300gt. And if you really want fun, it would be to blend the K1300gt and K1300S. (Either dual ECUs, or just transplant the creature comforts from GT to S. I haven't figured this out yet, and am sorely tempted to buy one to try.) The 1300 fixed most of the 1200's design flaws. And the 1300s has very nearly the same power as the 1600, but with the +200lbs weight savings. You know, for safety.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have kept my 1200gt and fixed it up and maybe some other farkles instead of buying this 2016 K1600GT. "But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." --early Dennis Miller

These are merely my opinions, based on no verifiable facts and causing you no harm. Any feelings of existential threat at my words are your problem, flaming here won't make you feel better.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
493 Posts
Of those 2, the 1200 is probably the better bike in my utterly idiotic opinion. The K1200gt is at least 200lbs lighter, reasonably close horsepower and torque. The riding experience is close enough. The K1200 is vastly cheaper to own and operate.

The 1200 though has some really gnarly problems: the clutch is problematic. I'm as cheap as all the rest of you, but I'd still recommend factory clutch replaced by a dealer. (The new, full clutch may have resolved the metallurgy problem of the design. The dealer can deal with the cursed gears behind the basket.)

The 1200 does not have a slipper clutch (Fat Cat stopped making theirs) which is a bit of a skill-challenge and a life-threatening disaster if the O2 sensor fails. O2 sensors are cheap, the generic Bosch unit works fine. See BeemerBoneYard.

The 1600 is all modern and spiffy, with bank-angle traction control and new infotainment center. But the 1200 display works pretty darned well. And let's face it, the 1600's are wide. Really really wide.

Honestly, the best of the K-bikes in my lousy opinion would be the K1300gt. And if you really want fun, it would be to blend the K1300gt and K1300S. (Either dual ECUs, or just transplant the creature comforts from GT to S. I haven't figured this out yet, and am sorely tempted to buy one to try.) The 1300 fixed most of the 1200's design flaws. And the 1300s has very nearly the same power as the 1600, but with the +200lbs weight savings. You know, for safety.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have kept my 1200gt and fixed it up and maybe some other farkles instead of buying this 2016 K1600GT. "But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." --early Dennis Miller

These are merely my opinions, based on no verifiable facts and causing you no harm. Any feelings of existential threat at my words are your problem, flaming here won't make you feel better.
I like the addition of the small print!😂

·
Registered
665 Posts

For a long time the k1300GT was plenty available. But not anymore, they are hard to find. You must be right. I rode a rental for two weeks, bear strong motor. Wouldn't you know it, when I came back home stateside, my dealer had the same year, model, dark blue with nearly the same mileage for sale in the show room. I agree with you, it has everything the 1600 has for all practical purposes. The handle bars come even adjustable from the factory. I was looking for one, when I bought my k1600gt, none was available, so I figured what the heck. Am not sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for reply.. K1200 is 2006 serviced at 19500 miles but valve clearances not done !

It's been stood for 4 years.

Passed British M.O.T .

K,1600 GTL is 2013.

Very well Serviced had good long chat with owner.

He purchased a new bike because he needs for his job.

Phil
The k1600 needs to see a dealer, and I would pass anyways. There are way too many items that can go wrong on their own merit without tackling a blown ring or valve head. . The k1200 needs to have the valves adjusted before you buy, price is about $600USD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I started my search for the "ideal bike for me", I first decided what I would need the bike to do. I was only interested in street riding and I wanted to do so in comfort. I basically narrowed my search down to the K12 or K16. I test rode the K12 first and thought it was really nice. Then I test rode the K16, and I was blown away. The difference was the 6 cylinder as opposed to the 4 cylinder on the K12.
I bought the 2014 K1600 GTL exclusive with all the bells and whistles. It had 19,000 miles, so I insisted that the 18K service was done before I would purchase it. Once you have experienced the 6 cylinder engine, it is hard to consider the 4 cylinder. I would agree with the other posts - don't take the chance on a bike with known problems, especially with a BMW, as parts and labor will put you in the poor house!
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2016 K1600 Exclusive
37 Posts
When I started my search for the "ideal bike for me", I first decided what I would need the bike to do. I was only interested in street riding and I wanted to do so in comfort. I basically narrowed my search down to the K12 or K16. I test rode the K12 first and thought it was really nice. Then I test rode the K16, and I was blown away. The difference was the 6 cylinder as opposed to the 4 cylinder on the K12.
I bought the 2014 K1600 GTL exclusive with all the bells and whistles. It had 19,000 miles, so I insisted that the 18K service was done before I would purchase it. Once you have experienced the 6 cylinder engine, it is hard to consider the 4 cylinder. I would agree with the other posts - don't take the chance on a bike with known problems, especially with a BMW, as parts and labor will put you in the poor house!
Good luck with your search.
So I have a "luscious" bride. From Ukraine-not Russia. Having said that, the broken/incorrect english, total lack of MC knowledge.....
TROLL.
Nothing real about this thread.
Richard

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why would anyone even be considering this, unless they've done their homework and know of a good deal on a new engine?
A better question is: “why would anyone buy a German-made motorcycle with the service history of this one unless they wanted to have the most fun they ever had in their lifetime?”.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I have a "luscious" bride. From Ukraine-not Russia. Having said that, the broken/incorrect english, total lack of MC knowledge.....
TROLL.
Nothing real about this thread.
Richard
What language are you speaking? And are you speaking it from the nut house?🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
146 Posts
K1200 is too old, getting complicated to service and acquire parts. Depending on the year issues with ABS and electronics. A smoking K1600 can be a real money pit, a new engine which is the most likely cure is North of $12.000. I wouldn't touch either one. Get a 2016 GT which is most probably the best K1600 in the entire model history.
A new engine is $17,000 installed. That was what was quoted to me by BMW of Denver in Centennial, CO when the timing chain skipped a tooth on my K1600.
K1200 is too old, getting complicated to service and acquire parts. Depending on the year issues with ABS and electronics. A smoking K1600 can be a real money pit, a new engine which is the most likely cure is North of $12.000. I wouldn't touch either one. Get a 2016 GT which is most probably the best K1600 in the entire model history.

·
Registered
2018 K1600 GT, most of the options. Lupini Blue/Black Storm metallic.
237 Posts
Cheaper to forget about the bike/s and ride the bride.🤣 (sometimes)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am considering purchasing either of these 2 bikes ...!

K1600 GTL .Well serviced but blowing blue/white smoke !
50.057 miles on clock !

Seller really honest.

Advice please.

K1200GT Not so well Serviced but only has 21.563 miles on clock.

Seller old man ( Pilot )

Phil
I have had both, K16 is way superior despite milage as long as its well serviced and you are looking for a sport cruiser.
Tom

61 - 80 of 86 Posts