BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 K1600GTL
213 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Anyone have experience with Kendon or Kendon-like trailers. I'm getting something after the first of the year so trying to decide which way to go.

Duff

·
Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,497 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
Lots of good comments to follow from fellow Kendon owners and enthusiasts I'm sure. I'll give a plug for the trailer I went with, Aluma. Single bike variety. LED lights, built in ramp, tie-down locations, includes wheel chock, super light, and tows great. The Kendon may store in a smaller space. There is an Aluma that folds and stores similarly. Best of luck and happy towing to ride.

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600 GT
151 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I have a single bike Kendon and between me and friends it’s been used dozens of times. I did install a set of LED tail lights but other than that it’s served us very well.

I would recommend adding a cross clip pin through the spare tire bolt to make sure the nut doesn’t vibrate off and you lose the spare while driving. I almost did but caught the problem before it happened.

I also added rough skate board tape to the walkway. If it’s wet it's very slippery.

• Helpful
Reactions: J-Luv

·
KBiK
2015 K1600GTS
2,297 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I have a Double Kendon trailer and have been very happy with it over the last 12 years. The newer trailers have a wider ramp making them much easier to load.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have an Aluma trailer which I decided to buy over the Kendon simply because the Aluma trailer is all aluminum except for the axle so never a concern with rust. With that said everything I've read about the Kendon has been positive so if you go that route you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2013 K1600GTL
213 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Double Kendon trailer and have been very happy with it over the last 12 years. The newer trailers have a wider ramp making them much easier to load.
Andy,
Do you use the double to haul just one bike. I was thinking of getting that one and adding the middle guide/wheel chock. That way I could use the extra space for stuff on the trailer. Also, I see by your avatar you've been to Alaska. How was the ride on the Kbike and also do you feel the Kendon would make it to Alaska? I'm retiring in three years and planning an Alaska drive/ride as my retirement present to myself. Either riding or trailering bike there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Duff

·
Premium Member
2013 K1600GTL
213 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the members with the Aluma trailers. There's no price listed on their site. Price is set by dealer. Are they close in price to the Kendon?

Duff

·
Mr.Fix It
9,441 Posts
I don't own a dual Kendon but I do borrow @Chop96 quite often. Half the time I tow single and when going cross country I've towed 2 K1600GT. With 2 GT you have to remove the inside side cases and rotate one of the inside mirrors down. Only complaint is keeping the rear tires centered; e.g. no matter which method I use the back of the bikes bounce around a bit. So much so that there is a big dent in the aluminum sheet on the back end of the Kendon. I'm going to remove/beat out the dent after my last road trip of the year next week; it's the annual Boy's Weekend in WV...

Duane

Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Premium Member
2013 K1600GTL
213 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
‘21 Grand America
10 Posts
Hi all,
Anyone have experience with Kendon or Kendon-like trailers. I'm getting something after the first of the year so trying to decide which way to go.

Duff
Absolutely no issues with my Kendon that hauls a single; 10k miles
Keep wheels greased and rims clean! (It’s a sickness)

·
Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,497 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
For the members with the Aluma trailers. There's no price listed on their site. Price is set by dealer. Are they close in price to the Kendon?

Duff
Dealer listed it at about $2300. I think we paid right at $2k without any bickering. They range from 2250 to 2400 on dealer websites when I was shopping for them. That was summer 2020.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I agree with Aluma. Good friend of mine had one and it seemed like the perfect MC trailer. Quality was superb.

It's the folding part and storage in my garage that makes me stare at the Kendon. Was close to buying one last year. Still looking.

·
Boom
780 Posts
I have a dual Kendon ride-up trailer, which I bought used: nearly new condition and saved half the cost. Been happy with it. I can load and unload it by myself. Have the extra inner rail, although I have transported a single GTL on one side of the trailer with no issue (they advertise this as the way to go). Loading a bike in the middle ends up with the tire over a tie down point and I didn't like the look of that. I put the spare in the back of the truck while towing---it mounts underneath and would not be easy to access if the trailer had a flat. Stands up nicely, although the height is just above my garage doorway or storage area doorway height, so I have to tilt it a bit when going through if I have chosen to stand it up outside. I also use a rock tamer system on the back of my truck when using the Kendon trailer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts