BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something different is what I was looking for, and the k bike is certainly that, at least from what I'm used to. The bike is an amazing machine, and I might be stepping into the lion's den here but there are a few things that are very disappointing to me.

Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs.

The other gripe I have is I guess common with any new vehicle but the overwhelming immediate depreciation is stunning. I picked this bike up one week ago and obviously the world situation has changed rapidly day to day with the coronavirus. My situation has also changed and my heart goes out to all those affected ,but my point is, I called the dealer to see about a return because this was unknowingly the wrong time to buy this bike. The term "return" was not in the salesman's vocabulary, it was rather a "used trade-in" and he would offer me 16,800 for it. Insulting.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent. I hope I get used to this thing
and start to like it a lot more

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Every BMW I have owned has needed a seat, but I waited until this bike to actually invest in one. I was wrong not to years ago; the time in the saddle is 3X what it would be with a stock seat. The windshield is typically a matter of taste; I get away with the stock windshield.

Depreciation is relative; I don't personally care about it because this bike is likely my last as I tend to ride them for 10+ years. I take your point though; depreciation is the delta between what you had to pay and what the perceived value is. I see depreciation working the same on any vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Try and get past the buyer's remorse. 25-30% depreciation on any new vehicle is common. Obviously at present nobody will be buying motorcycles. I am even surprised that the dealer is still open.

Get out and ride if you can. Nobody I know who rides a K1600 seriously does not love their bike. Yes, they may have small complaints but overall they are happy.

I have 98K miles on a 2015 GT which I have ridden all over the USA and Canada. I do not believe their is a better touring motorcycle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something different is what I was looking for, and the k bike is certainly that, at least from what I'm used to. The bike is an amazing machine, and I might be stepping into the lion's den here but there are a few things that are very disappointing to me.

Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs.

The other gripe I have is I guess common with any new vehicle but the overwhelming immediate depreciation is stunning. I picked this bike up one week ago and obviously the world situation has changed rapidly day to day with the coronavirus. My situation has also changed and my heart goes out to all those affected ,but my point is, I called the dealer to see about a return because this was unknowingly the wrong time to buy this bike. The term "return" was not in the salesman's vocabulary, it was rather a "used trade-in" and he would offer me 16,800 for it. Insulting.

Totally agree about the seat. Recently got a 2014 GTLE with 10,500 miles on it. On our first ride, just two hours long, my wife and I could not believe how bad the seat was. We are considering getting the seat reworked and footboards for the passenger. In the mean time we are using seat cushions for comfort and carpet anti-skid pads to help the passenger stay on the passenger seat, instead of sliding forward, when the brakes are applied. With that said, I must say how pleased and impressed I am with the rest of the bike. I've owned many Japanese bikes and this is my first BMW. What a bike! Never had anything like it and it is great fun to own and ride. It is like the engineers put so much work and effort into the rest of the bike that the seat was just an afterthought or they just wanted to coast across the finish line. I've seen responses from others on this great forum that ALL BMW cycle seats are bad...don't know about that. We will get this figured out. Congrats on getting your new bike, it is a great machine and once you get those issues sorted out you will love it! Goog luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
  • Totally agree about the seat. Recently got a 2014 GTLE with 10,500 miles on it. On our first ride, just two hours long, my wife and I could not believe how bad the seat was. We are considering getting the seat reworked and footboards for the passenger. In the mean time we are using seat cushions for comfort and carpet anti-skid pads to help the passenger stay on the passenger seat, instead of sliding forward, when the brakes are applied. With that said, I must say how pleased and impressed I am with the rest of the bike. I've owned many Japanese bikes and this is my first BMW. What a bike! Never had anything like it and it is great fun to own and ride. It is like the engineers put so much work and effort into the rest of the bike that the seat was just an afterthought or they just wanted to coast across the finish line. I've seen responses from others on this great forum that ALL BMW cycle seats are bad...don't know about that. We will get this figured out. Congrats on getting your new bike, it is a great machine and once you get those issues sorted out you will love it! Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts

I don’t want to sound compassionless, but I’m not sure how you wanted the dealer to take the bike back...after you took possession, rode it, and it was registered, it became a used bike. The dealer doesn’t determine the value of used bikes...the market does. Anytime you sell a new bike immediately after purchase, you’re facing huge depreciation and most likely will be upside down if it was financed. I would not expect the dealer to take a hit because you need to get rid of the bike. Actually, they’ve got problems of their own...motorcycle sales are going to drop like a rock due to COVID19.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys I appreciate your responses and I'm sure I will grow to really enjoy the bike. I agree with you TigerGA, the bike is considered used after being registered and riden. I would only clarify that I wasn't expecting them to return the bike so to speak, knowing that I would obviously be taking a hit, but I also wasn't expecting an offer of 16,800 either. At the end of the day I'll keep it and get it set up comfortably. Just a bit frustrated now is all.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Because a motorcycle, even an expensive one, isn't a car. Seats can't be adjusted to the specific needs for riders of all shapes, heights and weights. So we're forced to make fixed customizations for our individual needs. I've owned many brands of motorcycles. I've always had to customize to make the bike tolerable for longer distance touring.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I don’t want to sound compassionless, but I’m not sure how you wanted the dealer to take the bike back...after you took possession, rode it, and it was registered, it became a used bike. The dealer doesn’t determine the value of used bikes...the market does. Anytime you sell a new bike immediately after purchase, you’re facing huge depreciation and most likely will be upside down if it was financed. I would not expect the dealer to take a hit because you need to get rid of the bike. Actually, they’ve got problems of their own...motorcycle sales are going to drop like a rock due to COVID19.
When I was signing the paperwork for my GTL last fall, the sales manager recommended gap insurance :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my first BMW this year. I've only owned Hondas before this BMW, I've had two different ST1300s since 2006 and loved them (still have one) I bought a 1-owner 2016 GTL premium with 1K miles on it for $17K. I could not be happier. I first test rode the K1600 in 2012 and did not like the clunky gear box. I haven't been back on a K bike until now. The gear box is greatly improved. I guess its a matter of preference, but the K bike seat is just as good as the Corbin seats I've had on my ST1300. The stock windshield on the K bike doesn't protect like the stock Honda, but it's good enough. The trill of the acceleration and all the electronics are what I focus on rather than the minor shortcomings. There's no left-side veer in the steering which I've read on other posts, my K bike handles perfectly on the stock tires. Gearbox is solid and smooth. When I hear people complain about the K bike, I wonder what they are comparing it to. Surely it cant be the ST1300. There's no comparison.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I've been riding touring motorcycles since 1996. Probably had 10 different bikes since then. ALL of them required changing the stock seat and windscreen, all.

Duane

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Motorcycles are typically a bad investment, now they're a horrible one unless you factor in the fun and improvement in your quality of life then they're making you money, at least they do for me! As for changing things that's part of the fun by making it yours! Does any of it really HAVE to be changed, No! Does it make it better? Maybe, but if it makes it better for you it's worth doing. I'm thinking in a couple of weeks it might just be a great time to add that new S1000rr to the garage to help the dealer stay afloat and save some money at the same time. It's that Lemons and Lemonade thing! :D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hate to say it; I'd say a $16,800 dealer offer was fair considering this virus thing and the used K market in general. Check out rumbleon.com they are offering a 1,500 mile GA for $17,500. That's a retail price. It has not sold quickly even at that price.

Sold my B days before this whole virus thing took control of the world, even then, the market was less than good. Did not sell out of disappointment with the bike, I loved it. Sold for health reasons. You own a GREAT motorcycle. Install a comfortable seat ( highly recommend a Russell Day Long Seat ) that's what I had on my B, world of difference. I've changed seats and windshields on every bike I've owned.

The whole reason I continue to hang around this forum is because I enjoyed the bike and the people on this forum so much. Now I can enjoy through others experiences.

Hopefully you'll enjoy that bike so much that the financial thing won't matter.. Sincerely wish you all the best,

Scott

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
THIS^^^^. First, a lot of folks are hurting with COVID-19, but the business folks who are hurting the very most are the ones with a yearly cycle (pardon the pun), where they do most of their selling in the Spring. Other types of businesses will be hurt as much, but not any moreso, than the motorcycle business. Duc. HOPES to be back up and running by Mar. 25th? Great, but they have to sell those bikes in a climate of fear over layoffs and terminations, and like BMW, the most of what they sell is premium, meaning they're luxury toys, not necessities for most folks, and are the first things cut from the budget in times of fear for many.

So the bottom line is, your dealer's owner might have told you this: "RETURN it? Because COVID-19 hit, and you wouldn't have bought it if you knew? Heck, I might not have gone into the motorcycle dealership business if I'd known, and we might lose our butts and go out of business if this continues. Moreover, I'm hoping I don't have to layoff or fire any employees, all of whom have families, and most of whom are living paycheck to paycheck, because this business doesn't exactly pay well." This sucks for the vast majority of us.

Second, Agree with the thoughts of others on the stock seat (and bars and pegs). BMW has THE best stock seats available, and even then, they can't make every fanny happy, and weren't going to spec a seat with the long-distance comfort many here want, because the bike would have been even more expensive, and even so, many prefer one premium brand or type of seat over the other. EVERY other bike I've ever had, since I was 16 years old and felt no pain, has required another seat, and every one since then except my FZ-09 has required new bars and pegs (I put new pegs on that bike, too, but only for style purposes; the location stayed the same). Here, I just throw on a Wild Ass air seat cushion for longer trips and am perfectly happy, then pull it off for shorter trips.

For my GT, what I'd like is a kit that allows the bars to be moved up and back, and the pegs to be dropped down, for long trips, with the ability to move them back to stock locations for shorter rides, in about a total of under 30 seconds. But most folks wouldn't want to pay for that, as even the aftermarket doesn't provide that solution.

Put yourself in the shoes of a mfg. trying to make the most comfortable, big sport-touring bike for guys ranging in height from 5'4" (seen one post here before, at least) up to 6'7" or so, and in weight from 150 to 300 lbs. What do you do to make as many people happy as possible without blowing your price point?

Last, if resale value matters a lot to you, you should certainly research it before making any car or bike purchase, and even so, COVID-19 is throwing the whole thing into chaos. My wife and I have 4 motorcycles we're trying to sell so as to bring 2 new ones into the stable, but with this going on, there's no point. No one's giving us what those bikes were going to be worth this Spring, as of what everyone thought on January 1.

I am NOT belittling the OP's frustration. The frustration is understandable. But sometimes a little yelling, cursing and throwing things you can afford to break in a direction away from other people is all you can do to make yourself feel better.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT WILL MAKE YOU REALLY FEEL BETTER? Get an air seat cushion or something else cheap until you can afford a whole new seat if you need one, and RIDE THAT FINE STEED!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
When I was signing the paperwork for my GTL last fall, the sales manager recommended gap insurance :)
Wife bought it for her RT. She wanted to drop it within the grace period, but I talked her into keeping it. I declined on my K16, and wish I had bought it, along with the maintenance plan she got.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Last, if resale value matters a lot to you, you should certainly research it before making any car or bike purchase, and even so, COVID-19 is throwing the whole thing into chaos. My wife and I have 4 motorcycles we're trying to sell so as to bring 2 new ones into the stable, but with this going on, there's no point. No one's giving us what those bikes were going to be worth this Spring, as of what everyone thought on January 1.
Yeah...wasn't in a big hurry to sell the Goldwing last fall after picking up the GTL. Took a couple months to take photos and have sat on them since then...general thinking that I probably would not find a buyer in the winter months. Well, not expecting to find a buyer now in the spring or summer months :rolleyes:

I am NOT belittling the OP's frustration. The frustration is understandable. But sometimes a little yelling, cursing and throwing things you can afford to break in a direction away from other people is all you can do to make yourself feel better.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT WILL MAKE YOU REALLY FEEL BETTER? Get an air seat cushion or something else cheap until you can afford a whole new seat if you need one, and RIDE THAT FINE STEED!
Consider this the general, overall, forum response...stuff can suck, can feel your pain...make the best of it. Keep your chin up!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Wife bought it for her RT. She wanted to drop it within the grace period, but I talked her into keeping it. I declined on my K16, and wish I had bought it, along with the maintenance plan she got.
You know GAP insurance is only used if you wreck and total the bike, so that the difference between what you owe and what the market says the bike is worth is covered, right? It does not cover a decline in resale so that you can get out from under the loan if you are upside-down and merely want to sell the bike.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
It's hard to believe BMW has absolutely no clue when it comes to seat ergonomics. The seat on my new GT is an absolute @ss breaker, flat as a board and heading down hill. Hopefully my seat guy can re-upholster it to a more comfortable seat.

Have fun with the new bike.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Which K did I buy? Did you try the other models for better ergonomic fit? I’m on a GT. The windscreen is decent for me solo. I’m thinking about another for 2-up riding. And the seat was ok for me...better than my stock FJR. It was the saddle brown version and may be better than the generic stock. I did replace it. I purchased Ilium front and rear guards and had highway pegs added prior to delivery. And lots of market values have fallen dramatically as mentioned by others. I hope you can ride and enjoy the bike and leave the buyer’s remorse behind you. It really is an amazing machine.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts

Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs...….

Welcome to the forum and K1600 ownership. I always wanted a Russell Day Long Seat, but in all honesty, I don't find my GTL stock seat all that bad. I did 4200 miles in a week last summer, so I have spent some time on it.

Don't forget that most motorcycles need some "fine tuning" to fit the rider. I have owned 3, as an adult. My first one was an 07 Honda VTX1800T. The seat on that SOB was absolutely horrible. I had it reworked by a guy in North Carolina that allowed me to spend an hour and a half on it. My wife eventually refused to ride because it was so uncomfortable. After about 15,000 miles, it was about time for a different style of bike all together.

Next was a 11 Kawasaki C14 (Concours). I immediately regretted buying it. There was something about the angle of the grips on the bike that killed my forearms and wrists. it was painful to ride. After about 6 months I finally found the cure with some risers, angle adapters, and grip puppies. After I got the handlebars squared away, I noticed the terribly dirty air, I tried a Cal-Sci windshield. It made a world of difference. I was thankful that I didn't get rid of the Connie, because she was a great bike. The longer I had the Connie, the more I noticed the seat hurt my arse. My wife loved the pillion, so I never spent the money for another seat. After about 18,000 miles I wanted an electronic cruise, heated seats, and more creature comforts.

The 2016 GTL was my next bike. I have thought about the Russell Seat because I could always use a little more comfort, but that is a lot of cash to spend. The windshield is terrible, but again, I can deal with it. Overall, I love the ergos on the GTL.

I guess my point is that you can make the K1600 fit you. No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Even though you'd like a $30,000 motorcycle to be perfect out of the crate, you may have to tweak it a bit.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts