BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thank you guys I appreciate your responses and I'm sure I will grow to really enjoy the bike. I agree with you TigerGA, the bike is considered used after being registered and riden. I would only clarify that I wasn't expecting them to return the bike so to speak, knowing that I would obviously be taking a hit, but I also wasn't expecting an offer of 16,800 either. At the end of the day I'll keep it and get it set up comfortably. Just a bit frustrated now is all.
I understand where you are feeling the frustration and when you sit back then look at the overall picture and take into account the exotic and expensive cars that lose around 50% of the value once you drive them off the showroom floor you won't feel so bad. I had My 2019 R1250RT for just over 2 weeks and could not get comfortable on it the ergonomics were never going to work for me so I traded that back to the dealership I bought it from and to their credit they helped me with the change over price on the GTL, but no one ever makes money from a bike or car and yes they do lose you heaps it is more about losing the least amount you can by doing what you can to lessen the hurt of putting your hand in your pocket. My dealerships owner took a loss by helping me as I did by buying the GTL that I should have bought in the first place. Thankfully he looked after me the best he could and with the compromise we both come to a price that we were both happy with. I won't rave on but I could have kept the R1250RT that was a great bike so don't get me wrong, just it was not a bike I could get comfortable on and not willing to through good money after bad. I wish you all the best and to be honest, do the changes in small stages and you will love the bike once you get it where you feel more comfortable with it. Cheers and good luck stay safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seat?

I bought an airhawk for a temporary fix until I could get my seat redone or get a rdl. I’ve gotten used to the airhawk and am just gonna stick with it until it fails. The stock seat is a bit too short and I felt like I was sitting on the family jewels to much. Sore butt...the airhawk seems to have fixed all of that. Best 90 bucks I ever spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Something different is what I was looking for, and the k bike is certainly that, at least from what I'm used to. The bike is an amazing machine, and I might be stepping into the lion's den here but there are a few things that are very disappointing to me.

Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs.

The other gripe I have is I guess common with any new vehicle but the overwhelming immediate depreciation is stunning. I picked this bike up one week ago and obviously the world situation has changed rapidly day to day with the coronavirus. My situation has also changed and my heart goes out to all those affected ,but my point is, I called the dealer to see about a return because this was unknowingly the wrong time to buy this bike. The term "return" was not in the salesman's vocabulary, it was rather a "used trade-in" and he would offer me 16,800 for it. Insulting.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent. I hope I get used to this thing
and start to like it a lot more
How many Harleys did you have in your life? How much money did you spend on each one to get it right for you? My already three BMW K1600s are a lot cheaper in that area than any of my 5 Electra Glides I had from 2006-2014.
The dealer purposefully insulted you because the last thing he needs right now is a 300 miles trade in...............

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
How many Harleys did you have in your life?
My first Harley I sold after three years because the second child was on the way....I sold it the first day for more than I had paid for it :) This was back in '94 before the Kansas City plant opened (and is now closing) and there was still quite a weight for the big twin bikes.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thank you guys I appreciate your responses and I'm sure I will grow to really enjoy the bike. At the end of the day I'll keep it and get it set up comfortably. Just a bit frustrated now is all.
@Reride19 I have found some real good deals by subscribing to the classified gear and parts forum. Bought & sold a good selection of items and have never once had a bad experience.
k1600forum.com/PARTS
I'm glad I can ride to enjoy the outdoors with what we're all facing together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think the seat on my GA is uncomfortable. In fact, quite the opposite. For comparison, I rented an Ultra Glide back in Oct, and I found that saddle to be horrible! It hurt my tailbone so bad I wanted nothing more than to get off that bike after a couple hours. I was touring (not 2 up) with my Dad (he's ~70) for the first time in my life, so that made up for the sheer pain I was in. :)
Stock Versys 1000 seat was also painful after a couple hours. I owned that bike for 2 years before getting the Corbin replacement that I feel is about as comfortable as a stock GA seat. I don't know, I did sit on the GT at the dealer, and both my wife and I felt like the seat on that bike wasn't nearly as comfortable as the GAs. Asses vary, but my wife and I are very happy with my stock saddle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You guys are great thanks for all the positive support. I realize topics concerning motorcycle ergos and values are eerily similar to religion and politics but I genuinely appreciate the feedback, and have a much better feeling about the budding relationship between this bike and I.

I chose the GTL with intentions of long distance rides. Honestly I was so excited about this bike for so many months, my behavior through the process did not resemble that of an adult LoL. I focused on the GTL and couldn't see anything else.

With the exception of dirtbikes, the last road only bike I purchased was a 2003 Heritage Softail. I bought it new and still own it. Currently 62,XXX mi on the stock seat and windshield.

I'm still very excited about the GTL. You guys are right, a few tweaks and some getting used to will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Rode my 2015 GT for 85K miles before deciding I had destroyed the OEM seat. :rolleyes: Bought a lightly used Sargent seat and carry an Airhawk for those 12 hour riding days :ROFLMAO:

Still use the stock low sport windshield.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You know GAP insurance is only used if you wreck and total the bike, so that the difference between what you owe and what the market says the bike is worth is covered, right?
Maybe he was insinuating that in case OP has GAP, he might accidentally roll it down the hill, or something, just to make it go away... :whistle:

I kid, I kid, of course. ;)

I haven't gotten too much seat time on my 2012 yet, but from what I've gathered so far, it seems to fit my ass **** of a lot better than the one in my RT. The real test will be once this whole virus thing blows over and I can get a long-ass ride in it.

But yeah, as has been mentioned already, kind of hard to make a motorcycle seat fit perfectly every possible ass there is, so the manufacturers have to take the middle of the road approach and run with it. I'm sure there are plenty of people the stock seat works well, too, even on long trips.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Until I bought the B last summer, I spent the last 20 years on HD's. The last bike, a Road Glide I owned for 12 years. It's actually the longest I've ever owned a vehicle. I probably went through 3 seats and at least 3 windshields. Those were the least expensive things I changed on that bike. It went through a couple of different facelifts over those 12 years.

When I got the B it was used. It had the stock seat, but the PO had replaced the stock windshield with a taller and wider 7Jurock. I'm pretty short and it flat out didn't work for me and looked horrible to me. I replaced it with a Aeroflow and am very happy with it. I really like the look of the stock seat but, I'm going to wait on judgment of confort until I can get out on a multi-day trip. So far it's been fine, but the longest day ride I've done so far is only about 300 miles.

Zach

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
You know GAP insurance is only used if you wreck and total the bike, so that the difference between what you owe and what the market says the bike is worth is covered, right? It does not cover a decline in resale so that you can get out from under the loan if you are upside-down and merely want to sell the bike.
The GAP ins. is for precisely for that purpose in our case, since our ins. company is local and inexpensive and we've been with them for a long time, but on motorcycles, they do NOT cover any farkles damaged. (ASIDE: They'd never pull this with us, because we've been such good customers and they have a history of treating us well and paying claims fairly and like a slot machine, but with a H-D guy who only had that one policy and a short history, they denied a claim for a totaled bike entirely, because they contended he'd put so many aftermarket parts on it, it was no longer a H-D, and therefore he had no insurable interest and they refused coverage. Total BS, and they had to settle in litigation, but that stuff happens.)

The GAP policy my wife has DOES expressly cover farkles. I'm not upside down on my bike, and it's only about getting what the bike's worth in its depreciated state, but WITH farkles. If I'd known I was going to put that much more into this bike in add-ons, I'd have taken it, too. Just like me, my wife is adding more on to hers than she initially expected. We know someone whose GAP coverage paid them over $3k more than the base bike for farkles. Even if you have $10k "invested," to use many H-D sellers' word for why you ought to pay them near full price for their depreciated mods you might hate, $3k is a LOT more than the cost of the policy, and is a lot better than $0.

As on all financial decisions, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Thank you guys I appreciate your responses and I'm sure I will grow to really enjoy the bike. I agree with you TigerGA, the bike is considered used after being registered and riden. I would only clarify that I wasn't expecting them to return the bike so to speak, knowing that I would obviously be taking a hit, but I also wasn't expecting an offer of 16,800 either. At the end of the day I'll keep it and get it set up comfortably. Just a bit frustrated now is all.
You have to start with what they could actually sell a used bike for. If it is new for 30,000, no future customer is going to pay that or anywhere near that for a used bike. At best, they might get 24,000 for it on a good day. Plus, it might sit there for 3-6 months or more before someone buys it. If so, the warranty is running out the whole time it is on the floor, decreasing its value the longer it sits. In 2017, I paid a dealer $20,000 for a 2105 GTLE with 3,000 miles. It had been on their floor for a while. I'm sure they still made money, but that means that had to give the previous owner something around what you were offered.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You guys are great thanks for all the positive support. I realize topics concerning motorcycle ergos and values are eerily similar to religion and politics but I genuinely appreciate the feedback, and have a much better feeling about the budding relationship between this bike and I.
Ain't that the truth. Do a search, and you'll even find spirited debates on the best underwear for your adventures.
:oops:

Concerning seats, it's going to be one of the most important decisions you make. Whichever aftermarket solution you narrow down to, make sure you ask all the right questions. Will the seat raise your height from the ground, making it harder to flat foot? Will it force you sit further back, possibly requiring bar riser/extenders, or even a backrest as a bandaid? Will your sitting posture be affected, possibly forcing you to either slouch or sit more upright than you're comfortable with? When you're investing about $1,000 for your butt, you want to get it right.

Good luck with whatever mods you make. You will love the GTL more and more as you get out on the open road.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
The GAP ins. is for precisely for that purpose in our case, since our ins. company is local and inexpensive and we've been with them for a long time, but on motorcycles, they do NOT cover any farkles damaged. (ASIDE: They'd never pull this with us, because we've been such good customers and they have a history of treating us well and paying claims fairly and like a slot machine, but with a H-D guy who only had that one policy and a short history, they denied a claim for a totaled bike entirely, because they contended he'd put so many aftermarket parts on it, it was no longer a H-D, and therefore he had no insurable interest and they refused coverage. Total BS, and they had to settle in litigation, but that stuff happens.)

The GAP policy my wife has DOES expressly cover farkles. I'm not upside down on my bike, and it's only about getting what the bike's worth in its depreciated state, but WITH farkles. If I'd known I was going to put that much more into this bike in add-ons, I'd have taken it, too. Just like me, my wife is adding more on to hers than she initially expected. We know someone whose GAP coverage paid them over $3k more than the base bike for farkles. Even if you have $10k "invested," to use many H-D sellers' word for why you ought to pay them near full price for their depreciated mods you might hate, $3k is a LOT more than the cost of the policy, and is a lot better than $0.

As on all financial decisions, YMMV.
Just so we are on the same page- GAP is only used if you crash and total the bike and still owe more than what the fair market value is worth. It doesn't apply at all if you want to sell the bike and get out of your loan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know how you feel, I think we all do. Bikes are expensive toys, but if it's the hobby you love, you're willing to invest.

I bought a new 2019 GA a few weeks ago (just before the craziness hit the US). We immediately added passenger arm rests and passenger foot boards. After the first 500 miles, I've ordered the bar extenders (arrived and will be installed this week), and the wife feels we need a better touring screen for less wind at her - I'll probably order one this Spring. As for seat, I'm not convinced I need an aftermarket just yet. I've always wanted a RDL, but stopped due to the price. I'll wait until we've done some long-weekend trips to decide on a different seat (the stock GA seat is not that bad so far).

My point (you were wondering if I had a point) is this; motorcycling is an important hobby/activity for me. I love getting out for a 50 mile / 1-hour ride in the country, or a long-weekend with friends or a week vacation trip somewhere. I'm willing to invest the money and time to get the motorcycle setup for me and for my wife. I've had to add something on every bike I've owned, and I try to invest wisely on those additions, to enhance our riding experiece.

I wish you the best in getting your new ride 'setup' for you, and more importantly, I wish you many safe and enjoyable miles.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Oddly I owned three Ultra Classics up until 2013 when I bought my GTL. I don't recall ever changing the seat on any of the Ultra Classics, but i did change the exhaust, cams, an occasional windshield. But as soon as I bought my GTL and rode it the 67 miles to home, I knew I needed a new seat and eventually a new windshield.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Just so we are on the same page- GAP is only used if you crash and total the bike and still owe more than what the fair market value is worth. It doesn't apply at all if you want to sell the bike and get out of your loan.
Ah, yes, then. That's totally different from what we bought. As defined, and to cure my error, we both declined GAP, and are glad we did. Apologies.

I don't know the industry term for it, but then it might be accessory or custom bike insurance. We bought an insurance product that specifically covers the gap between base bike as depreciated, and fully farkled bike, still depreciated, but also cover the accessories/mods/farkles (full documentation of same is required). These policies were designed for the people whose bike insurance doesn't cover any add-ons.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Understood, but I think that extra coverage still only applies to comprehensive and collision accident policies. I'm not aware of any coverage anywhere that insurers your bike and/or for a specific resale value.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have my bike insured with an agreed value of my bike and that includes all the accessories etc. I also make sure the insured value is replacement value, not the price I bought the bike and accessories for. I also took photos of them and the bike then sent them to the insurer and asked that they all be noted on my policy regardless of the agreed value. My reason is never trusted an insurance company and once it is noted on the policy you have proof of what you fitted along with the photos you supplied. I do this because back in 2015 we had a major storm that blew over my Victory Cross Country I had it with agreed value but the assessor mentioned to me that I should always have all parts and accessories noted on the policy so you never lose out. He was going to knock me back on Victory bike covers, but I had photo proof that I did have them and the receipts. Since then I make sure everything is noted on the policy and make sure I keep all evidence of purchase. A good example is I bought my bike and it was discounted due to my back trading my new R1250RT, but the true retail replacement cost was more than $8,000.00 AUD for the same new bike than I actually paid for my bike, plus the accessories. Last, of all I also took out the new for an old 3-year component of the insurance. That was I am covered 100%.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts