BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I have had countless issues with my 2018 GT LE which started before the 1st service. The bike is now marooned due to Covid-19 (dealer closed for the duration) just as the work was completed having had a new Engine/Gearbox fitted to solve 1 liter of oil per 600miles usage. The frame has also been replaced at the same time to fix the left pull. This is a debatable fix, as nothing was found wrong with the old one, but until the dealer returns to work and the bike can be test ridden we won't know. Just a tad frustrating but in the circumstances what to do.

Having said all of that when the bike works its an utter dream. Hopefully when it returns to the stable I won't have to tow an oil tanker on trips whilst continually steering right to avoid a nasty discussion with the curb/hedge/on coming traffic.....

The stock seat, for me was a torture contraption. I replaced it with an RDL.....wow what a difference. Now do (did) regular Iron Butts in total comfort. RDL, especially imported to Europe are expensive but for me worth every penny. Similarly the stock screen is, shall we say, less than ideal. I'm 6'5" so bought the XXL version of a Cal-Sci extra wide. Again the difference is remarkable and suprisingly no water comes through the hole in the screen.

Can't wait to get back aboard......

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs.
Did you ride it before you bought it? I couldn't decide initially between a GTL and a GT for ergos. My dealer lent me the demo GTL for a long weekend. That's all it took to convince me that the GT would fit my riding style better.

At this high end of the motorcycle spectrum, it seems like you can divide owners into two categories when it comes to ergos. Those that want to be cradled in a bubble of still air and Stratolounger comfort; and, those that understand that, for them, riding a motorcycle (even a touring bike) is an athletic experience. No judgements here about either type of rider but understanding which you are really helps in buying the right bike for you.

One last observation on this topic - I find that the better my own core conditioning is, the more comfortable I am during long days in the saddle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Pitts, very good points. Unfortunately I went "kid in a candy store" as I often do and totally sidestepped maturity and diligence in this process, and did not to test drive it. But I'm not unhappy with the bike and have no intention of selling or trading in. I'll make a few changes and I'm confident I'll love it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Far as type of Rider, I think I fall into both categories. Never got into sport bikes so this is a new style to me all together. It's been dirt bikes , recreational and east coast hare scrambles (extremely physically demanding), or Harley riding where I could play cards on the gas tank goin down the road if I wanted LMAO. Ok not quite but you see what I mean.

The seat on the GTL rolls the boys into the tank, as others have mentioned, and the GF won't get on the back until the new windshield arrives LoL. The bike is still an amazing machine, these few tweaks are common I suppose, all is good(y)

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I have my bike insured with an agreed value of my bike and that includes all the accessories etc. I also make sure the insured value is replacement value, not the price I bought the bike and accessories for. I also took photos of them and the bike then sent them to the insurer and asked that they all be noted on my policy regardless of the agreed value. My reason is never trusted an insurance company and once it is noted on the policy you have proof of what you fitted along with the photos you supplied. I do this because back in 2015 we had a major storm that blew over my Victory Cross Country I had it with agreed value but the assessor mentioned to me that I should always have all parts and accessories noted on the policy so you never lose out. He was going to knock me back on Victory bike covers, but I had photo proof that I did have them and the receipts. Since then I make sure everything is noted on the policy and make sure I keep all evidence of purchase. A good example is I bought my bike and it was discounted due to my back trading my new R1250RT, but the true retail replacement cost was more than $8,000.00 AUD for the same new bike than I actually paid for my bike, plus the accessories. Last, of all I also took out the new for an old 3-year component of the insurance. That was I am covered 100%.
Once again, that only covers you for a crash- NOT for resale.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think you may be referring to a "rider" on your existing policy. People will sometimes add a "rider" policy to their homeowners insurance to cover expensive pieces of jewlery etc. Sounds like you added one to your bike insurance to cover accessories.

Zach

Ah, yes, then. That's totally different from what we bought. As defined, and to cure my error, we both declined GAP, and are glad we did. Apologies.

I don't know the industry term for it, but then it might be accessory or custom bike insurance. We bought an insurance product that specifically covers the gap between base bike as depreciated, and fully farkled bike, still depreciated, but also cover the accessories/mods/farkles (full documentation of same is required). These policies were designed for the people whose bike insurance doesn't cover any add-ons.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
When I mentioned the Sales Manager recommending GAP insurance, it was not along the line of covering any drop in value with regard to resale value, it was a statement along the lines that the sales manager was alluding to the large amount of depreciation which was about to happen when I drove off the lot and that, in the event of an accident without gap insurance, a bike could be totalled and I would still owe money on it after the insurance payout. I've had this happen to young soldiers in the past who were able to buy an expensive new car with no money down and a long term, high interest loan.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I considered GAP when I bought my new GTL a year ago Feb. At that time I got a fantastic deal at $237xx for a bike that stickered for almost $30K. Obviously I couldn't have known that all of this was going to happen.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Once again, that only covers you for a crash- NOT for resale.

You are correct the resale is always what the market will be regardless. I don't know of any insurance company that will cover you for the loss by just selling your bike. At least here in Oz. But if you cover your bike for as much as you can in the event that it gets stolen, you write it off in an accident then that at least lessons your pain in the pocket. We do have gap insurance but that's only if you are financing your bike or car not if you have paid cash for it. I guess I am very fortunate since I retired and a little time before that I have been free of any financing and pay cash or go without. I know not everyone is that fortunate. That rings home more now than ever with the world in a place it has never been for over 100 years and millions losing their jobs and businesses. I am spending as much I can in Australia to support local business as hopefully we all will come out of this better off and with a job for those that need the work.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have had countless issues with my 2018 GT LE which started before the 1st service. The bike is now marooned due to Covid-19 (dealer closed for the duration) just as the work was completed having had a new Engine/Gearbox fitted to solve 1 liter of oil per 600miles usage. The frame has also been replaced at the same time to fix the left pull. This is a debatable fix, as nothing was found wrong with the old one, but until the dealer returns to work and the bike can be test ridden we won't know. Just a tad frustrating but in the circumstances what to do.

Having said all of that when the bike works its an utter dream. Hopefully when it returns to the stable I won't have to tow an oil tanker on trips whilst continually steering right to avoid a nasty discussion with the curb/hedge/on coming traffic.....

The stock seat, for me was a torture contraption. I replaced it with an RDL.....wow what a difference. Now do (did) regular Iron Butts in total comfort. RDL, especially imported to Europe are expensive but for me worth every penny. Similarly the stock screen is, shall we say, less than ideal. I'm 6'5" so bought the XXL version of a Cal-Sci extra wide. Again the difference is remarkable and suprisingly no water comes through the hole in the screen.

Can't wait to get back aboard......
A cheap fix for the seat is to buy an Airhawk cushion, I usually do long 9 to 12 hours day rides and have had the sore bum issues as most of us do. I bought a front cushion aka Air Hawk the one that fits our bokes for the front is part number AHR-L Airhawk. It is amazing how something so simple and cheap compared to buying a new seat can give so much comfort. The secret well if you can say that it is a secret is you don't need a lot of air to make it work so if you buy one just a little air will do wonders. Sorry, I should have suggested that in my first reply to you. Good luck and let us know what you think or do. Like I mentioned before you will love the bike after you do a few simple mods, My Crossroads and Roadmasters were both way more comfortable than the BMWs are but the BMW are much nicer to ride.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Thanks Geoff. Russell also raised my seat 2 inches and moved the riders seat back 2" to help with my 6'5" height. Glad your AirHawk does the job for you. I did try a similar cushion which did make a difference but no where near as good as my Russell, one of my better decisions which coupled with and Extra Tall Extra Wide CalSci screen transformed by GT LE for me and my outsize self. Stay safe.

Best regards,

Tony

·
Registered
159 Posts
Something different is what I was looking for, and the k bike is certainly that, at least from what I'm used to. The bike is an amazing machine, and I might be stepping into the lion's den here but there are a few things that are very disappointing to me.

Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs.

The other gripe I have is I guess common with any new vehicle but the overwhelming immediate depreciation is stunning. I picked this bike up one week ago and obviously the world situation has changed rapidly day to day with the coronavirus. My situation has also changed and my heart goes out to all those affected ,but my point is, I called the dealer to see about a return because this was unknowingly the wrong time to buy this bike. The term "return" was not in the salesman's vocabulary, it was rather a "used trade-in" and he would offer me 16,800 for it. Insulting.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent. I hope I get used to this thing
and start to like it a lot more

Yeah well, you have no excuse. The advice for these bikes is to rent one, ride it for a day at least, and then see what's what. In Las Vegas they can be rented, like Harleys. The K1600 is not a bike Americans are used to. It's a German bike,made for Germany and their motor culture, meaning open kimono, and lots of signs, and that takes some taking used to. For example, I was ready to pull the trigger on a K1600GA with the forward footboard. When I looked a second time, I go, wait a minute, why do they still have have the driver pegs and shifter under seat? This ain't American, and certainly ain't grand. The shifter, and brake, belongs with the footboards up front. Had I bought the bike and discovered this, trying to ride off the lot, I would have been bullsh*t. Who does something like this? Welcome to German engineering. It does however have some charming sides to it.....but you always gotta read the fine print on these, the Germans do.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Yeah well, you have no excuse. The advice for these bikes is to rent one, ride it for a day at least, and then see what's what. In Las Vegas they can be rented, like Harleys. The K1600 is not a bike Americans are used to. It's a German bike,made for Germany and their motor culture, meaning open kimono, and lots of signs, and that takes some taking used to. For example, I was ready to pull the trigger on a K1600GA with the forward footboard. When I looked a second time, I go, wait a minute, why do they still have have the driver pegs and shifter under seat? This ain't American, and certainly ain't grand. The shifter, and brake, belongs with the footboards up front. Had I bought the bike and discovered this, trying to ride off the lot, I would have been bullsh*t. Who does something like this? Welcome to German engineering. It does however have some charming sides to it.....but you always gotta read the fine print on these, the Germans do.
That's great advice about renting before buying. BMW Motorrad dealers, in my experience, have been very generous with long test rides.

As I mentioned above, if you're the type of rider that feels motorcycling in a stratolounger is proper, and you don't want to take your feet off the footstool to shift gears, then you'd feel this configuration was different that what you're used to. If you're the type of rider that understands that motorcycling is an athletic experience, you'll want to be placed in a position that engages your core muscles rather than placing all the strain on your butt.

Welcome to German engineering.
And British, and Italian, and Japanese, and other American brands other than Harley Davidson and Indian. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing your opinion but rather just pointing out that it comes from a particularly narrow perspective. There's a whole universe of people out there that believe just as you do and it's great that there are motorcycles to fit every rider's wants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can this forum recommend for me the following? I have a 2018 K1600 GT. I'm in Arizona.

1. Seat recommendations. I know about Russell. Anyone else I should look at before I spend $1000?
2. Foot pegs. Anything reasonable, in replacing the stock pegs?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something different is what I was looking for, and the k bike is certainly that, at least from what I'm used to. The bike is an amazing machine, and I might be stepping into the lion's den here but there are a few things that are very disappointing to me.

The other gripe I have is I guess common with any new vehicle but the overwhelming immediate depreciation is stunning. I picked this bike up one week ago and obviously the world situation has changed rapidly day to day with the coronavirus. My situation has also changed and my heart goes out to all those affected ,but my point is, I called the dealer to see about a return because this was unknowingly the wrong time to buy this bike. The term "return" was not in the salesman's vocabulary, it was rather a "used trade-in" and he would offer me 16,800 for it. Insulting.

Never buy new!! now that being said do you have a good upoholstery shop close! access to to a 4inch peanut grinder! with a 4inch 60 grit flapper wheel ! if you think about it all that has to change on the seat is some of the foam needs to be taken away or moved in my case i wanted the center of the seat just a bit lower and some of the side horns slimed down and for the rear i wanted more of a dish in the center to hold the riders butt better its easy to remove the seat cover and with the grinder and that flapper disc you can easily sculpt the seat the way you want it ive done two of them and it works great i have never had to add foam just take it away ! then i took it to my upholstery dude and he put the cover back on better than factory for 75 bucks !! sit on the seat in between sculpting to test the fit!! easy fix!

·
Registered
1 Posts

A. You should have done your research on the bike, B. test rode it to understand what worked for you. C. not be such a baby to cry about your own mistake.. Mine has a few flaws I'd like to change but I think its an awesome bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would suggest you ride it for a few miles before you consider a new set and/or windshield.
I was going to change out the above items on my '12 GTL, but after riding it 3k+ miles, I'm sticking with what BMW shipped it with. Have sat on a Russel saddle, it's not for me. Windshield the same, $200 +- a few won't make the view/wind reduction any better.
Try enjoying the bike for 2K miles or so before you feel there are some changes that you'd like to make.
Sat on a K model that had cruiser pegs, I have long legs, but ( yeah, there's always a but) I don't like my legs spalyed a that wide t o be comfortable.
Welcome to the K 1600 group.
Gary, aka RBGary

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
A. You should have done your research on the bike, B. test rode it to understand what worked for you. C. not be such a baby to cry about your own mistake.. Mine has a few flaws I'd like to change but I think its an awesome bike.
LMAO mtenly did you join the forum just to make that comment? What are the "flaws" on yours that you'd like to change? You left that part out

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had 2 Corbin and a Sergeant on different motorcycles. I went with Russell on my GTL over the winter. I’m totally satisfied as this is definitely the most comfortable. Just make sure you can handle a higher seat. If I had a higher seat on my old LT, that may have been problematic. They will also adjust the seat if your not comfortable at first. Expensive, yes, however I intend to keep this one a long time so it’s an investment in fun. Every motorcycle that I intended to ride for more than 2 hours at a time needed some after market stuff. Maybe someday you’ll be able to order a custom fit one, but for now, in the current mass production world we’re in, not yet...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can this forum recommend for me the following? I have a 2018 K1600 GT. I'm in Arizona.

1. Seat recommendations. I know about Russell. Anyone else I should look at before I spend $1000?
2. Foot pegs. Anything reasonable, in replacing the stock pegs?

Thanks much.
There is a recent discussion on Sargent seats in the Accessories section with photos. Even though I’m partial to Corbins, I went with the Sargent because of their return policy ( and if you call directly, you can usually get a discount)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts