BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Something different is what I was looking for, and the k bike is certainly that, at least from what I'm used to. The bike is an amazing machine, and I might be stepping into the lion's den here but there are a few things that are very disappointing to me.

Seat and windshield to start. Why on a $30,000 motorcycle do I find myself ordering a new seat and a new windshield less than 300 miles in? Oh and also handlbar risers. And highway pegs.

The other gripe I have is I guess common with any new vehicle but the overwhelming immediate depreciation is stunning. I picked this bike up one week ago and obviously the world situation has changed rapidly day to day with the coronavirus. My situation has also changed and my heart goes out to all those affected ,but my point is, I called the dealer to see about a return because this was unknowingly the wrong time to buy this bike. The term "return" was not in the salesman's vocabulary, it was rather a "used trade-in" and he would offer me 16,800 for it. Insulting.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent. I hope I get used to this thing
and start to like it a lot more
Never buy a bike because you expect it to hold monetary value. Buy it because it's what you like and will ride it until the bike is covered in rust or you are in the dirt.
I've never had a bike I didn't want to change something on. Pragmatism over time wins out and I eventually decide to shorten the list of stuff I want changed or can live with.
Every bike I have owned, no matter what kind of condition I kept it in usually got a 50 percent reduction in dealer valuation within a few years of purchase. That is why it's good to buy something used but in good shape, because someone else paid that price for you.
I've moved on to an 850 GS, bought it new from the dealer floor and rode it home 300 miles. I miss my GT sometimes, especially for long trips. Now I can go off-road without worrying about a crane or tow truck..
I have already found 8 things on the GS I want to change, it's just the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
Can this forum recommend for me the following? I have a 2018 K1600 GT. I'm in Arizona.

1. Seat recommendations. I know about Russell. Anyone else I should look at before I spend $1000?
2. Foot pegs. Anything reasonable, in replacing the stock pegs?

Thanks much.
Say more about what you don't like about the current seat and pegs and I'm sure the collective wisdom here will tell you more than you want to know. Everyone's butt is different and it's not clear what you're looking to do by changing out the pegs?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I found my nirvana by setting the seat on the high position, and taking the rubber off the drivers foot peg for another inch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, for my GTL, once I put a custom Rich's seat on, added Illium highway pegs, added handlebar riser, and changed the windscreen to CalSci, I would not trade it for anything. Making the bike fit you perfect is well worth the expense, and you will not regret it.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Got my seat back from the re-upholster job, he put in an @ss pocket and narrowed the thigh area. I should be able to put hours in now with no more sore spots. Cost $70.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts