BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This looks like an interesting alternative to the Helite which is worn over your gear and uses a tether or Dainese which is more expensive or Alpinestar which is part of an Alpinestar jacket.

It is in the pre-order phase with a purchase price of about $400.

• Works with any jacket
  • Worn under your jacket, not over
  • Wireless, no tether
Take a peek at the details on the Klim site: https://www.klim.com/Ai-1-Airbag-Vest-3046-000.

See Dainese SmartJacket here: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-smart-jacket?rrec=true.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Oh, it has a tether, it is called electronics, wires, a battery, and an annual subscription. While it isn't tethered to the bike, you are instead tethered to making sure the system is fully charged and ready every time you go out and if it isn't, are you going to delay your ride until it is? I like the simplicity of the Helite and Hit-Air products, there is nothing to break or specifically maintain and should you accidentally inflate them you are back up and running in a few minutes. It is also surprising that they recommend wearing it under a jacket when they have no idea of the fit of the jacket in question.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Klim AI-1 Airbag Vest??

Love KLIM Products. Wonder why they did not address the riders neck, hips & pelvis like Helite & Hit-Air ( Hit-Air Airbag Vests and Jackets ). My riding buddys like Hit-Air. You do not set on the sacral/ pelvic part of the vest. Still have not decided if I require this or if I could not make it discharge/ inflation (unplug??). Best,

Doc:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have really only been learning a bit about these wearable air bag devices since joining this forum last summer. In the past few years, since returning to motorcycling, I've purchased three sets of of riding clothes, two sets of boots, a couple sets of gloves, and a helmet that cost me three times what I have ever paid for a helmet before (and I'd replace it in a heartbeat...it is that comfortable). Compared to what I used to wear in college (essentially a helmet and a leather jack) and what I had back in the 90s (not much more...but some better boots and some chaps)...I am much, much better outfitted for safety related riding gear than what I had years ago...not that I could have afforded much more back in college. Honestly, I didn't have much interest when I first saw the posts on the airbag vests/jackets, but I've been working with my fiance' since Christmas to get her properly outfitted for the upcoming season and that has been a lot of new investigation into women's clothing and explaining to her the importance of the stuff, even though I hope we never go down...but it happens. My interest in the vests has grown greatly during the past month and I plan for us to seek some out to try on in the coming months. Greatly appreciate all the good info all of you continue to share on the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I think that it is in the pre-order phase but they claim that it is "one of the highest rated motorcycle airbag systems available" is a bit disingenuous.

This is not a KLIM product, but a re-branded InEmotion product. KLIM clearly state that any claims made about this product are not their responsibility but are made by InEmotion !!!

I would really like to read about what they recommend you wear over this airbag vest, but don't see any information.

I do not see any of these vests providing the critical neck protection that the Helite vest provides.

Why Argon to inflate the jacket? 90 euros for a spare canister is ridiculous. What is wrong with cheap, climate warming CO2. Ooops, sorry to ask such a silly question!

The MotoGP riders have automatic, no-tether airbags, but if you are riding million dollar motorcycle, what's a few hundred thousand on a riding suit with a built in automatic airbag.

While the idea of no tether is nice, all sport parachutists still rely on a manual release. ( Yes, I do know that some also use a fail-safe altitude release as a backup )

I'll stick with my Helite Turtle Vest for now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Having worn a Helite on a few long trips now, I hardly notice it. Yes, I’ve started a get-off and forgotten the tether but the tug reminds you pretty quickly and it has never popped.

Last trip a friend slid out on a wet country road and landed hard on his back. No injury requiring docs but he was a hurting puppy for days. We were not sure he could ride the 600 miles home alright. Needless to say, his interest in my vest went up!

Yeah, it’s easier to jump into the cage and maybe put the top down... but from now on, unless I’m doing a test ride around the neighborhood to check something... I’ll be wearing my Turtle vest.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure if this Klim approach is the best and am definitely not an expert on the product but did want to share for folks to review. It just caught my eye and wanted to share as it may be a viable option for some.

Based on what I understand about the product here are some follow up thoughts:

Is there a subscription required?
I don't think so but double check this. I believe you can either purchase for about $400 where you don't have a subscription OR you do a monthly rental/subscription. See this from Klim, especially steps 3a and 3b:

Step 1. Buy the vest
Step 2. Download the “My In&Box” phone app
Step 3. Create your account and choose a subscription plan
3a. Choose from $12/month or $120/year subscription options, which include unlimited In&Box warranty, anytime cancellations, VIP support services, and a new In&Box after 3 years.
3b. Or choose the $399 one-time purchasing option which includes 2-year warranty and classic support services.
3c. All purchasing options include continuous algorithm updates and mobile app dashboard interface.
Step 4. Pair your In&Box and Ai-1 Airbag Vest
Step 5. Ride!

Charging = Tether
I hear that. I also thought it needing to be paired to a phone as another non-physical tether. I do think the charging tether will be one some will overlook to avoid a physical tether but the is like most things always a trade off.

One of the Highest Rated Motorcycle Airbag System
That is a funny claim for a product in the pre-order stage. No matter what testing has been done and no matter how positive that testing may be in comparison to other products. Stood out as funny to me.

Seems like there is much more to learn about this product. Look forward to learning more as more details come out.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
So how's that going to work worn inside your jacket. I don't know about you guys but my jackets are not very baggy and fit me nicely with just enough room to add a heated mid-layer. How's this thing going to expand enough to protect me it its overall size is constrained by my outerwear?

If this thing inflated with enough force, is it going to destroy my Klim Badlands Jacket or is it going to give me a forceful squeeze damaging the bits of me that it's suppose to be protecting?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Apparently, you can wear this over your jacket, but it is not abrasion resistant and needs to be large enough to fit you, your jacket and layers. This will preclude you from wearing it under your jacket at another time should you wish to do so. If you elect always to wear it under your jacket, how do you also wear heated gear? Protection is less extensive than Helite vests and, while there is no tether needed, the Klim vest needs to be charged. Camping could make that difficult. Forget to. Charge and you have no protection until you do. Tethering the Helite becomes second nature after using it for a while. It’s always ready. No limit on how long I can ride before it won’t work.
My singular issue with the Helite is that in warm weather, it can be hot.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
So how's that going to work worn inside your jacket. I don't know about you guys but my jackets are not very baggy and fit me nicely with just enough room to add a heated mid-layer. How's this thing going to expand enough to protect me it its overall size is constrained by my outerwear?

If this thing inflated with enough force, is it going to destroy my Klim Badlands Jacket or is it going to give me a forceful squeeze damaging the bits of me that it's suppose to be protecting?
The app tells you to breath in just before inflating the vest! >:):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not sure if this Klim approach is the best and am definitely not an expert on the product but did want to share for folks to review. It just caught my eye and wanted to share as it may be a viable option for some.

Based on what I understand about the product here are some follow up thoughts:

Is there a subscription required?
I don't think so but double check this. I believe you can either purchase for about $400 where you don't have a subscription OR you do a monthly rental/subscription. See this from Klim, especially steps 3a and 3b:

Step 1. Buy the vest
Step 2. Download the “My In&Box” phone app
Step 3. Create your account and choose a subscription plan
3a. Choose from $12/month or $120/year subscription options, which include unlimited In&Box warranty, anytime cancellations, VIP support services, and a new In&Box after 3 years.
3b. Or choose the $399 one-time purchasing option which includes 2-year warranty and classic support services.
3c. All purchasing options include continuous algorithm updates and mobile app dashboard interface.
Step 4. Pair your In&Box and Ai-1 Airbag Vest
Step 5. Ride!

Charging = Tether
I hear that. I also thought it needing to be paired to a phone as another non-physical tether. I do think the charging tether will be one some will overlook to avoid a physical tether but the is like most things always a trade off.

One of the Highest Rated Motorcycle Airbag System
That is a funny claim for a product in the pre-order stage. No matter what testing has been done and no matter how positive that testing may be in comparison to other products. Stood out as funny to me.

Seems like there is much more to learn about this product. Look forward to learning more as more details come out.
I could be wrong but they way i read that its $399 for jacket purchases then $399 for updates. So all in your are taking $800

·
Registered
366 Posts
I really love this idea. I just think it might be good to hold till more feedback is coming. I am 100% for this under jacket airbag vest and the price is fair. Happy riding.....!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Thanks for sharing. The design tradeoffs between volume and protection are interesting. Volume is going to be directly related to inflation speed. Coverage of course is going to matter and Hit-air, Alpinestars, and Helite seem to have different approaches but great coverage. The Klim is somewhere down the list and that dianese thing seems to have the worst coverage (judging by pictures). All of them probably beat your standard armor for what they are designed to do. The alpinestars seems the least flexible with respect to what you wear it with. The Hit-Air and Helite seems to be the most universal.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What we need is one with the coverage of the Alpinestar (or Dainese's race systems) can be used with whatever jacket or suit we choose. Add the simplicity of the Helite which does not need to be charged but does not require a physical tether like Helite. Also give it the ease of reusing the vest if deployed like Helite. Make lighter and less bulky looking and have the potential of being worn under your jacket like Klim or Dainese's Smart Jacket but without compromising coverage and needing to be sent to the manufacturer for an expensive recharging process if deployed.

It sounds like the perfect task for Takata!

In my mind, I'd love to see something along the lines of a Bohn garment where you have coverage in all of the right places but really is thin enough to be worn under whatever you're wearing. It would probably be tough to give the neck protection of a Helite or the Alpinestar and Dainese suits which require you to use an Alpinestar or Dainese jacket but that Bohn approach could be interesting.

The comments about the ability to fit a jacket over the Dainese Smart Jacket would indicate it is difficult or impossible to fit that system under a fitted jacket. We don't know about the Klim yet as it has not been released but the closest current product to the new Klim offering has shown it does not play nice with more fitted riding jackets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep in mind that the Helite systems inflate in less than 1/10 of a second. It is important that they are the right fit for you. I have blown my helite 6 times at motorcycle safety days and I'll tell you the inflation is forceful and instantaneous. If the Klim system isn't fitted correctly under too tight of a jacket I'm willing to bed you're getting the wind knocked out of you a minumum and could be looking more at broken ribs in the extreme. You are softer than you think... lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Saw a demo at the Denver IMS today. They had a Klim jacket on top of the vest that looked pretty casual. They did say that if you wear it under leather it would be "much more snug" because the leather won't give as much.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts