BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'22 K1600GTL
17 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
going up...
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*to start with, thank you forum members and moderators for being welcoming, pleasant and helpful. I'm (or have been) a member of some other moto-forums that were not so.

Went out for the first long(ish), ride from home in Santa Ana to camping overnight at Lake Isabella and back, about 450 miles total. Its been about 20 years since I drove on 178 and said "someday I've GOT to do this on a motorcycle" - finally got around to it, and promptly got stuck behind a long, slow line of cars. But still a great ride and getting the GTL out in its preferred element was... amazing. What a machine. Now it's ready for break in service and to really open it up

Notes in the popular grins and gripes format:

The Grins:
  • What a machine!
  • I can't quite say "all day comfort"; more like "about 90 minutes comfort" - but by the same token, there's not many places I can sit it the same spot for more than 90 minutes without needing to move around. So yeah, comfort!
  • Cruise control - I know it's old hat to most here, but I've not had it on a bike before. I never used for more than a minute or 2 to stretch my hand and arm, but wow that makes it easy
  • Going. Just in general. Engine, throttle, gearbox, handling. Just a joy to ride.
  • Highway 178. Even at sightseeing pace, great motorcycle road.

The Gripes:
  • I never cared about cruise control, let alone ACC - I finally tried it and in about 3 seconds I wished it had ACC.
  • I wasn't sure about the windscreen before I got out and really moving, now I'm windscreen shopping. With the stock one there's a specific spot that's tolerable for wind and buffeting, but still not great, and worse for the passenger. I'm leaning towards Klock Werks unless theres a convincing reason not to.
  • I am not good at fishing. (Im not blaming BMW for that)
  • This is an exceedingly small nit to pick, but why put a chrome piece on the top box where you're gonna be touching it all the time! It's a fingerprint magnet. Along the same lines, Black Smoke Metallic is like a dirt highlighter.
  • The Redverz tent poles dont fit in any of the cases. This is more a redverz problem than a bike or case problem. Turned out for the better anyway, as it was WINDY on day one, and the redverz tent is not great in the wind. My two man Mountain Hardware did the job admirably and left a lot more storage room available.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Some random guy offered to share his doobij at this spot. I did not partake. But this bike gets a lot of attention at gas stops!
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Beauty shot.
Tire Wheel Bird Vehicle Automotive lighting

There was one other person camped at the far end of the Paradise Cove campground, otherwise had the place to myself. It is neither paradise nor a cove, but not a bad place to spend the afternoon and evening after a good days, (really 1/2 days) ride. Lake Isabella in the distance, my camp set up in the not so distant. It was about a 20 minute hike to get down to the water. I could have taken the bike down the dirt road to get there, but I am not at all confident in my dirt skills on this bike. And good thing I didn't, there was a few spots that could very easily have gone wrong side up.

I told you there would be fish:

Water Salmon-like fish Fishing bait Fishing lure Fisherman

This is a catch, not bait.

Water Fluid Fish Lake Fin

His slightly older brother.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
821 Posts
Nice write up! You will find fixes to many of your gripes on the forum! I find the wind comment interesting. I once put my redverz up in an extremely windy thunderstorm and windy night. I thought it did great! I would never get a touring bike without cruise control. Have had cruise on bikes since my 05 FLHTI.

Redeverz travels on the top case rack if wife is with me. If not, it goes in on the Dusak rack!

Have fun with the bike!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
International Man of Mystery
4,210 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
13000 km
It is amazing what you guys are schlepping across the country on top of the top case. I am pretty certain that you exceed the weight limits by far for the top case including the rack. Handling of the bike must be horrible....

·
Registered
2022 BMW K1600GTL, 1971 Honda 500 Four
161 Posts
I picked up a 2022 GLT in May and I really like it so far. As for the chrome piece on the trunk, if you just grab the to of the back rest, I don't ever have to touch the chrome unless I want to. I agree with your comment about the seat, I wish it was a bit more comfortable but I made it from South Dakota to Austin, TX and back, about 2,200 miles, but the highway pegs I added made quite a difference. I will probably do a seat upgrade someday.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
821 Posts
It is amazing what you guys are schlepping across the country on top of the top case. I am pretty certain that you exceed the weight limits by far for the top case including the rack. Handling of the bike must be horrible....
The top case is mostly empty with a few clothing items. All of the camping gear and some clothing fit in the paniers. We have gotten by without the top case and placing the few items in the case into the dry bag with the tent. We don't require much while camping!

If you want to see people really loaded down; check out the Motorcycle Camping Facebook group!

·
'22 K1600GTL
17 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
going up...
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... check out the Motorcycle Camping Facebook Group
Hah! That group is nuts - its either full trailers for an overnight trip or "If you need more than a short piece of string and a bandanna for a RTW trip you're doing it wrong".

I have taken the Redverz tent on the my XR a couple times - it is neither small nor light, but it is comfortable. I probably did look like the "really loaded down" type you mention!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts