BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the latest info. from our NSW Premier as of the 28th April so let's hope we don't get idiots stuffing it up as they have at Bondi Beach etc.

IMG_0100.jpeg

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is great
How do they say that motorcycle ride is excercise

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I don't know but won't argue on the grounds of mental health lol But that would be part of it and if we don't go near anyone ride only with one other rider and also stay our distance I am sure it will remain in place. Plus we have had far fewer cases in Australia than most other countries, partly because of the early lockdown laws, self-Isolation, testing, and our country being similar to New Zealand in that we are so far from the nearest country so that would be a big help in controlling the virus. Keep in mind as they ease the isolation we are going to see more cases and then we still have our winter to come in June. Most of our deaths have been older people with other complications then caught the virus, also the majority of our problems come from the ships docking in our ports. ( 1, in particular, that had a virus on board and did not tell our authorities ) I can not see our borders being open for some time to overseas visitors, certainly, till the world has control over this darn thing. As much as we need tourism, I don't think we need to rush this through until we can safely say we can control any future outbreak. I feel for those that want to come and see our wonderful country but the world is a lot more different now than it was before the Covid-19 Virus. Keep in mind this is just my opinion you may agree or not it really does not matter as the government will always do what they feel they have to do.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It’s actually a good aerobic exercise for your core muscles.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't know but won't argue on the grounds of mental health lol But that would be part of it and if we don't go near anyone ride only with one other rider and also stay our distance I am sure it will remain in place.
Regardless, it's a rational and sane policy.(y)

This essential vs. non-essential travel is a screwed up concept anyway. Here is California, police aren't pulling drivers over to ask their intent for being on the road. I did my 35 mile drive for "essential" caregiver duties today, and there were hundreds of other cars on the freeway traveling wherever they wanted. Highway Patrol was doing what they always do -- check for speeding. Nothing more and nothing less.

It's a travel lock down in name only.

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This essential vs. non-essential travel is a screwed up concept anyway. Here is California, police aren't pulling drivers over to ask their intent for being on the road. I did my 35 mile drive for "essential" caregiver duties today, and there were hundreds of other cars on the freeway traveling wherever they wanted. Highway Patrol was doing what they always do -- check for speeding. Nothing more and nothing less.

John, I agree with what you are saying and to be honest there are a lot of inequalities to the lockdown laws here, that also depends on what state you live in. But the state and federal had to do something and quick so of course, there would be some unfair things to iron out once they put something in place. I hope you get to be able to travel down under next year as per you and your wife's plans. I know you both will love Australia and New Zealand along with the people, although the New Zealanders do speak funny lol. :cool::LOL:😂🤣But we love them anyway.

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
842 Posts
There is some good news about COVID-19. Promising anti-viral drugs being tested and possible vaccines in human trials by this Fall. Also, increasing testing capacity for active infections and blood tests for antibodies showing immunity in recovered persons, even using their antibodies-containing plasma to treat active patients. Clearly, we aren't out of the woods, but lots of hopeful developments.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just be aware when out on your bike for "exercise", it's still meant to be in your "local area", what local means is, is up to the discretion of the police (In NSW, QLD put a 50 KM from home limit) , and our highway patrol cars are all equipped with license plate scanners that tell them where your bike is registered. So if your going out on a long day trip maybe have a back up excuse. I have heard of riders being fined, but most of those stories also have them riding without helmets, unregistered bikes etc

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just be aware when out on your bike for "exercise", it's still meant to be in your "local area", what local means is, is up to the discretion of the police (In NSW, QLD put a 50 KM from home limit) , and our highway patrol cars are all equipped with license plate scanners that tell them where your bike is registered. So if your going out on a long day trip maybe have a back up excuse. I have heard of riders being fined, but most of those stories also have them riding without helmets, unregistered bikes etc
Thanks, Troy. I don't think NSW has the 50 km limit, but if it has I could go 50 klms. in one direction turn around and then go in the opposite direction lol. Yes all our cars here in NSW have number plate recognition too, don't forget all the cameras on the roads these days add to the surveillance effort. Most of my riding will be with my mate who has cancer and I ride with him most of the time to make sure he's safe, Plus we know what the other rides like. If not I ride by myself these days and always where I can in the country without making contact with anyone. Be safe and thanks for the heads up. I heard the health chief doctors saying today on Fox that our social distancing will be the new norm for years to come and our borders will not be open to international travelers for a what could be a year or 2 at this point or till they come up with vaccines.

Reactions: Troy1690

·
Registered
842 Posts
Some recent good news about vaccines:

It's a long read, but encouraging. I can't remember where I saw it, but if human tests are successful this vaccine may be widely available in early 2021. That's half the time it usually takes to develop a vaccine.

IMHO, an effective vaccine is the only good way to return to "normal". Getting to herd immunity through people being infected and surviving means a whole lot of people dying.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is great
How do they say that motorcycle ride is excercise

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Just of few of my workouts.

Park. forget to put your kickstand down. Pick it up. Repeat.

Run out of gas on the interstate up hill off ramp. Push bike the 1/2 mile to the gas station.

Stop at a light in the rain. Hit an oil patch and drop it. Pick it up. Repeat.

Watch a friend run off the road and down into a 20 foot gully. This is group exercise to push the bike up to the road. Leave helmets for social distancing purposes. Repeat.

Put kickstand down on un-level ground. Try to stop the bike from falling into the car next you. Suggest not repeating.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts

Are there actually jurisdictions where you can't just go for a ride?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Technically, I think "non-essential" travel is banned here in WA state; however, it isn't being enforced. At least, the LEO are not stopping people to ask, but only stopping them for other infractions and maybe following up with where they are going. I haven't seen any reports of fines or anything. I've been riding locally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts