BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, we had a discussion on here regarding alternate lighting options from the Clearwater, Baja Design and others. I started looking at lighting and found the LED Rider lights. They are much less expensive certainly than the top 3 above but get great reviews and perform very well.
I installed the LD5 lights, they are VERY bright and perform well. They are very large and a little heavy because of the heat sinks but put out a ton of light and you can absolutely turn night into day, even at 30%.
I mounted them on my lower shocks with a mount from Twisted Throttle and found that they are too big and hit the turn signal housing if you compress the front end enough. I don't want to move them to the mirrors because I like the light down low, it seems to suit my riding better than moving it up to a mirror mount.
So, I'm looking to get something smaller to put on the fork mounts. Anyone have experience with the LED Rider LX3?

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I have both the LED Rider LD5s and LX3s - the LD5s are mounted underneath the mirrors, and the LX3s are mounted in the stock aux light location (really easy replacement). For the LX3s, they're wired to turn them on/off with the factory aux light button, and use a Skene controller to adjust brightness via a switch - off / 30% / 50% / 70% / 100% (with high beams). The LD5s turn on/off with a separate button mounted on the left handlebars and controlled with a separate Skene controller with the same switch controlling the output of both.

I LOVE the LED Rider lights and even though I had to do some wiring, I'm very pleased with running them through the Skene controllers.

See this thread for specifics about what I did with the LX3s and how I did it, including pictures and a wiring diagram (posts 7, 16, and 28): Aux. Lighting Replacement Advice

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm good with the wiring part, already have wiring in place from the LD 5's that I'm going to remove. Just asking about performance of the LX3 lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts