BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
….Seeing as how I have a $30K motorcycle sitting in the garage right now that I consider to be unrideable I am probably a little more overly sensitive to this than I normally would be to most issues
….
I'm okay with you being upset with BMW, but my 2013 pulls to the left IF I take both hands off the handlebars, but somehow I have put 15,000 miles on the bike and don't feel a bit threatened by this situation. If I never took both hands off I'd never suspect it - there is zero indication of it when riding even with just one hand on the bars. So calling it "unrideable" is something you need to get over or you are missing out on riding a great bike just because you have something stuck in your head that is not an issue. Heck, my tires don't even wear unevenly.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
...So calling it "unrideable" is something you need to get over...
I'll respectfully disagree with both you and BMW on this position.

In my opinion it is not unreasonable to expect any motor vehicle to track straight and not veer out of its lane without having to apply constant counter steering pressure, whether it's to a steering wheel in a car or handlebars on a motorcycle.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
The only reason I "discovered" the left pull is reading about it on this forum. Like others, I never noted any need to counter steer to correct the "problem", and the reason I never noticed it is because I just about never take both hands off the bars. This is with 700+ mile days in the saddle; no physical evidence of me having to "correct" this pull. With both hands on the bars - just can't tell.

Once I found the "problem", I simply my tool bag (guessing about 7-10 lbs) in the right saddlebag, along with my mini compressor (which was already in that side). Runs straight as an arrow now, if I take both hands off the bars (which I will continue to rarely do...).

If a rider is uncomfortable with the left pull, that's their prerogative. I understand we all have our opinions, and I'm certainly not going to tell someone else what they should/shouldn't feel safe with.

All I'm saying is, once I found out about this "issue" (and I say "issue" because to ME, it's simply not an issue) I was able to find a work around.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks Brian. If you read through all of the left pull posts, you'll find that there is a wide range of the amount of pull that these bikes exhibit, all the way from exhibiting no pulling tendencies whatsoever to a very light pull such as yours that can be remedied by a little extra weight in the right saddlebag.

In my case, as with some others, it's extreme and I personally find it VERY annoying. If I stop applying noticeable, continuous counter steering pressure to the handlebars, I have to lean my entire body WAY over to the right to keep from veering VERY quickly to the left. For me that is an issue and it's one that I firmly believe that BMW should correct. Obviously they're not going to until they're forced to do so regrettably.

What really annoys me is that I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that BMW has engineers that are smart enough to figure out why their flagship motorcycles are consistently being built with varying degrees of left pull problems, and have been since day one, yet they refuse to correct the problem and instead just state "that's the way they're designed." You can't design a vehicle to track straight AND pull to the left. That simply doesn't make sense.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'll respectfully disagree with both you and BMW on this position.

In my opinion it is not unreasonable to expect any motor vehicle to track straight and not veer out of its lane without having to apply constant counter steering pressure, whether it's to a steering wheel in a car or handlebars on a motorcycle.

Best regards,
Again, I respect your feelings on the matter, but I never feel that I'm having to apply counter steer. I am just riding with both hands 98% of the time and I feel no difference than riding any bike. I just don't see there to be any danger. And anyone who can say it has caused an accident would have to admit they were riding with no hands.

·
Registered
256 Posts
<<snip>>...and anyone who can say it has caused an accident would have to admit they were riding with no hands.
I respectfully disagree. A moment of inattention/fatigue after a long day in the saddle should not result in a swerve into oncoming traffic. A left pull is indeed a safety issue....and if that's how its supposed to be per some BMW dealerships and apparently BMW themselves, then they should fix all of the defective bikes that track straight.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My bike always goes to the left when I take my hands off. I've read some change the tires, shim the front end A-arms, put wieght in the right side case, probably some others I just don't remember.
I think the bike has this issue because the engine doesn't sit in the centerline of the bike.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My bike always goes to the left when I take my hands off. I've read some change the tires, shim the front end A-arms, put wieght in the right side case, probably some others I just don't remember.
I think the bike has this issue because the engine doesn't sit in the centerline of the bike.
I very respectfully disagree.

If that's the case then why do half of the K1600s not pull at all (see the poll for the results from approximately 400 respondents where 198 respondents say their bikes run perfectly straight while 179 say their bikes pull to the left?)

Are their engines mounted differently than the ones that do pull? Is it conceivably possible that the K1600s are coming off of the assembly line with their engines mounted in their frames differently?

For me this explanation simply isn't logical.

Also, unlike BMW's contention the bike doesn't just pull to the left when you take your hands off of the handlebars.

It's pulling to the left constantly. Period.

You're applying constant counter steering pressure when your hands are on the handlebars to keep it going straight, just like your car would go straight if it was out of alignment and you "kept your hands on the steering wheel" and kept applying counter steering pressure to compensate for the problem. If my car pulls to the left constantly that's unacceptable (whether my hands are on the steering wheel or not.) If my motorcycle pulls constantly to either direction that's equally unacceptable and inexcusable.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I very respectfully disagree.

If that's the case then why do half of the K1600s not pull at all (see the poll for the results from approximately 400 respondents where 198 respondents say their bikes run perfectly straight while 179 say their bikes pull to the left?)

Are their engines mounted differently than the ones that do pull? Is it conceivably possible that the K1600s are coming off of the assembly line with their engines mounted in their frames differently?

For me this explanation simply isn't logical.

Also, unlike BMW's contention the bike doesn't just pull to the left when you take your hands off of the handlebars.

It's pulling to the left constantly. Period.

You're applying constant counter steering pressure when your hands are on the handlebars to keep it going straight, just like your car would go straight if it was out of alignment and you "kept your hands on the steering wheel" and kept applying counter steering pressure to compensate for the problem. If my car pulls to the left constantly that's unacceptable (whether my hands are on the steering wheel or not.) If my motorcycle pulls constantly to either direction that's equally unacceptable and inexcusable.

Best regards,
Why do they not pull to the right ? If it were some sort of adjustment tires or whatever wouldnt some bikes go the other way? I think the bike has the engine so far to the right (almost 3 inches) to compensate for a balance issue that is just on the verge on solving the problem without making the bike look like a Nascar super modified . I believe this problem is inherant in the bikes design and unfortunately we are getting stuck with. Respectfully Dan

·
Registered
400 Posts
I recall someone here resolved the issue. I believe it had to do with the front end geometry and the root cause was a procedure for how the front wheel was installed. There was also a very detailed description of how one forum member verified a lack of parallelism and alignment of both wheels. Try taking this to the dealer and see if they can verify this issue on your bike. Just a suggestion. Continuing on your current course is also an option. Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same left pull problem. Not solved by 15# tool in right saddle bag, not solved by sitting farther to the right in the seat. Was slightly improved with front tire replacement. Not the end of the world but after seven Harleys that none pulled left it is a puzzle. Scared to trade off otherwise perfect bike and possibly get one that has a bad water pump or tranny problem.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Same left pull problem. Not solved by 15# tool in right saddle bag, not solved by sitting farther to the right in the seat. Was slightly improved with front tire replacement. Not the end of the world but after seven Harleys that none pulled left it is a puzzle. Scared to trade off otherwise perfect bike and possibly get one that has a bad water pump or tranny problem.
Now that is a VERY good question and one I have no answer for. As was stated above, many forum members have tried valiantly to figure out the issue and correct it to varying degrees of success on their own bikes, but to the best of my knowledge no one method has been proven to work repeatedly.

In my opinion, here's the best question. BMW has some of the best automotive and motorcycle engineers in the world.

Approximately half of their premier motorcycles rolling off the assembly line pull to the left, and half track straight. Instead of just sticking their head in the sand and saying "that's the way they're designed" why in the world don't they just figure the problem out and FIX IT???

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
Approximately half of their premier motorcycles rolling off the assembly line pull to the left, and half track straight. Instead of just sticking their head in the sand and saying "that's the way they're designed" why in the world don't they just figure the problem out and FIX IT???
And that is the exact reason when I needed a new car I skipped BMW and bought a Mercedes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Left pull issue

This is one of just a few reasons I traded my K16GTL for a Triumph Trophy SE. Some of them pull enough to constantly physically strain the rider, and I don't think level straight pavement should require that. My Triumph has absolutely dead straight tracking, and no it is not as vibration free as the K was, but it is very, very, close. A few other things contributed as well, but the constant pull to the left, with weight in the right side, sitting off center, etc., never completely eliminating it being the main factor. I still prowl around here for all the good general information that is here regarding all phases of riding, and I value the knowledge BMW riders are always willing to share.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, my bike goes in on Saturday and I am leaving it for the week. 6,600 service, switch clusters and left pull. Earlier today I spoke with the BMW tech who just returned from some training and said the bike should not pull. I also just put the PR4s on so tire wear blah, blah, blah won't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well, my bike goes in on Saturday and I am leaving it for the week. 6,600 service, switch clusters and left pull. Earlier today I spoke with the BMW tech who just returned from some training and said the bike should not pull. I also just put the PR4s on so tire wear blah, blah, blah won't be an issue.
Please let us know how it turns out. Here's my bet based on my experience and that of others.....

1. The dealer will verify it pulls left and since there's no fix available they'll file a PUMA (whatever that stands for) with BMW Motorrad asking for help.

2. BMW BMW Motorrad will reply simply "The bike is operating as designed."

3. If you still complain, BMW Motorrad send a BMW service tech out who will ride the bike and he will state "The bike is operating as designed."

I have a VERY good dealer who did all of the above for me. I actually took mine in on three separate occasions for the same issue and now have in writing from the BMW Motorrad tech rep that my bike that pulls hard to the left is "operating as designed."

61 - 80 of 80 Posts