BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW GA
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since I bought my 2018 GA, it's had the left pull problem that seems to be the norm. While not thrilled with the bike's handling, I just figured I would have to get used to it and I did for 5,500 miles. Well, yesterday I replaced the Bridgestone tire that came on the bike with the Angel GT and guess what? Not only does the bike handle 1000% better, it solved the left pull issue! Now goes straight as an arrow when I let go of the handlebars. Also, the shop that mounted the tire for me noticed that there were no wheel weights installed from BMW on the wheel. Unfortunately, I neve thought to have the wheel balanced when new so I don't know if the tire was the problem or the fact that it wasn't balanced. Regardless, I'm now a fan of the Angel GT:laugh:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I am so excited for you I hope they stay like that forever!

I ordered the Dunlops there just sitting in my basement for the time to come to switch.

sadly I only have 700miles on my bike and got a long ways to go.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well, since I bought my 2018 GA, it's had the left pull problem that seems to be the norm. While not thrilled with the bike's handling, I just figured I would have to get used to it and I did for 5,500 miles. Well, yesterday I replaced the Bridgestone tire that came on the bike with the Angel GT and guess what? Not only does the bike handle 1000% better, it solved the left pull issue! Now goes straight as an arrow when I let go of the handlebars. Also, the shop that mounted the tire for me noticed that there were no wheel weights installed from BMW on the wheel. Unfortunately, I neve thought to have the wheel balanced when new so I don't know if the tire was the problem or the fact that it wasn't balanced. Regardless, I'm now a fan of the Angel GT:laugh:
When the miles add up and the tires wear ... and the left pull returns ... just add weight to the right case. And you’ll solve the problem. Again. ;)

-

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I only have 700miles on my bike and got a long ways to go.
:stew:

For God's sake, man, throw a leg over that beautiful beast more often! You forced me to do the math, it takes me 15 days, on average, to rack up 700 miles -- far fewer when I can truly get away. Then again, I ride rather than drive and live deep in the heart of nowhere. Still, you need more wind therapy, get out and ride!

You're welcome. :wink:

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Sometimes, I cover 700 miles in 10-12 hours or so, then just do it again... :k16:

Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Sometimes, I cover 700 miles in 10-12 hours or so, then just do it again... :k16:
As have I but, of course, bow to the master as far as stringing those days together. That was actually directed @wizard1325 . He stated he was past his first service by just 100 miles. Am I missing something? Otherwise, I stand by my post, this bike's too much fun to let sit! Go ride it!

Reactions: Meese

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
And again for 9 more days...like running 9500 miles in 9 days....or 3000 in 41 hours because sometimes you need to get to the Golden Gate Bridge before Monday and decide on a Saturday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I have a 2019 GA with the 719 forged wheel option. I don't have any wheel weights either. Is this normal? I was wondering if they use Ride-On tire balancer/sealer or something similar. I do like not having ugly wheel weights the always seem to leave marks when removed. I don't get any vibration at all but do get a little bit of the wobble above 70 mph. I blame the tires also. I have Wunderlich touring windshield and arrow wings which only helped tame the wind a bit.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I am so excited for you I hope they stay like that forever!

I ordered the Dunlops there just sitting in my basement for the time to come to switch.

sadly I only have 700miles on my bike and got a long ways to go.

why not switch them now, and hold onto the current ones as spare should you get a bad puncture

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have a 2019 GA with the 719 forged wheel option. I don't have any wheel weights either. Is this normal? I was wondering if they use Ride-On tire balancer/sealer or something similar. I do like not having ugly wheel weights the always seem to leave marks when removed. I don't get any vibration at all but do get a little bit of the wobble above 70 mph. I blame the tires also. I have Wunderlich touring windshield and arrow wings which only helped tame the wind a bit.

Some physicist will correct me. I was told a two gram out of balance equates to 2 kilos at 100 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Dammit... I just did the math and I've only averaged 41 miles a day over the last seven years. :surprise:

I guess that's not too bad considering my riding "season" is typically only 6 or 7 months of the year...

Discounting the months I cannot even get the bike out of the driveway and I'm up to about 59 miles a day.... :grin:

Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Problem solved?

You may want to go over a few older threads before making that kind of claim, unless you want to preface with how it may have helped your bike. It has been found that in very few cases different tires have corrected the left pull but is far from the answer all.

Earliest one
Random grab from the archives

And, if you want to wile away a few more hours, just do a Google search on "left pull" and find the ones that are linked to this forum.

I do find it hard to comprehend that the left pull is still an issue after nine years (2011 thru 2019). I love this bike and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (maybe after a quick test ride :)) but this issue defies logic when it pertains to the history and high quality standards of German engineering and in particular, BMW. Maybe the sole reason is that BMW Motorrad just wants to make sure this forum never runs out threads on this issue. :)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
BMW Motorrad just wants to make sure this forum never runs out threads on this issue. :)
Wait, are you suggesting that wizard might be a BMW plant? Is this that false flag thing I keep hearing about? ;)

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW GA
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use black wheel weights

When balanced, I used clack wheel weights. you don't really even notice them. Besides, It's such a difference in the handling, I don't care about the appearance. At 80 MPH, pretty sure nobody is going to notice. 0:)

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW GA
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some physicist will correct me. I was told a two gram out of balance equates to 2 kilos at 100 mph.
I have heard the same thing. I used black wheel weights and figure an easier ride is more important than a little appearance issue.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW GA
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may want to go over a few older threads before making that kind of claim, unless you want to preface with how it may have helped your bike. It has been found that in very few cases different tires have corrected the left pull but is far from the answer all.

Earliest one
Random grab from the archives

And, if you want to wile away a few more hours, just do a Google search on "left pull" and find the ones that are linked to this forum.

I do find it hard to comprehend that the left pull is still an issue after nine years (2011 thru 2019). I love this bike and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (maybe after a quick test ride :)) but this issue defies logic when it pertains to the history and high quality standards of German engineering and in particular, BMW. Maybe the sole reason is that BMW Motorrad just wants to make sure this forum never runs out threads on this issue. :)
I'm well aware of the threads and systemic issue at hand. My point is that I solve MY problem with new tires and balancing the wheels. It may be of some help to others. If not, enjoy the left pull.....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Likely a temporary fix, I fear. But best of luck with that!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I know this subject has been beat to death but I think I've found a simple solution to the left pull. I tried offsetting the front wheel that didn't work. I tried loosening and re torquing the motor to frame bolts in a more back and forth pattern, that didn't work. I noticed with my bike when I let go of the bars it wasn't a slow drift to the left but a sudden pull like I was pushing on the bars myself. Which got me to thinking what could possibly cause it. What did work was removing all the body panels to expose all the wiring and hydraulic lines going to the handle bars and found that everything was securely wire tied in place with absolutely no play at all. I cut all the wire ties and replaced them with the widest ones I could find and left them loose so that every thing could slip back and forth freely. I used the widest ties I could find thinking that would reduce any chance of the lines and wires binding as they tried to slip back and forth as I turned the bars. My bike now goes straight down the road when I release the bars and the only thing that makes it drift either way is a high camber road or a stiff cross wind.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts