BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
In the form of true irony not half an hour after I posted I had to save the bike from going down for the first time . I was backing out the bike by duck walking it out of our spot and there was a pebble that I slipped on. I felt her going down and had to yank her back up. To be honest it wasn’t as bad as I thought for a bike it’s size. I was able to regain footing and yank hard in the other direction and she came back up. My fault for not checking my footing but it’s an indoor parking garage so I guess I got lazy. She probably would have been ok though as I back up with the side stand down just in case. Still good to know she’s balanced well and will come back up without getting a hernia.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I was out riding one day and when it came to doing 90 degree corners I could negotiate them at 25 - 30 MPH, no problem. So why was I having problems making u-turns ? Duh ......... I'm going too **** slow !!!!!!
The biggest problem I had with slow speed maneuvers when I switched to the K bike was.......... I had to realize you don't have to be doing slow speeds to do a 18 foot circle. I went out to a wide open parking lot and started doing about 25 foot circles which is where I was comfortable about 10 MPH. I realized you can set the CC at any speed so I set it at 10 MPH and slowly bumped it up as I bumped it up I could decrease the radius somewhere around 15 - 16 MPH I was doing full lock 16 foot circles and could just about let go of the handlebars. No need for playing with the clutch or the rear brake. The other thing about the K bike is, it'll idle along on it's own in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th so you can also pick a gear which your comfortable with for speed to do tight slow speed maneuvers. Once you realize that the K bike has a huge lean angle and can utilize it at slow speeds making u-turns are a breeze. And to get out of the tight turn you simply bump the throttle and drive out of it as you would with any other corner.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Thanks for the cc tip, that’s a good one! I’m going to hit a parking lot this week and try it.

next week we’re going to a cottage with a long gravel and dirt driveway. Usually I bring the Ural but because of business think I might need to run back to TO at least once. It’s a 5 hour ride on the Ural but on the K1600GT I’m sure I can do it in under 4 as I can pass slower traffic like trucks. Most of the ride is a 2 lane highway. You aren’t passing anything on a Ural.

any tips for handling the driveway? Rain mode? What luggage setting is best?

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,431 Posts
In the form of true irony not half an hour after I posted I had to save the bike from going down for the first time . I was backing out the bike by duck walking it out of our spot and there was a pebble that I slipped on. I felt her going down and had to yank her back up. To be honest it wasn’t as bad as I thought for a bike it’s size. I was able to regain footing and yank hard in the other direction and she came back up. My fault for not checking my footing but it’s an indoor parking garage so I guess I got lazy. She probably would have been ok though as I back up with the side stand down just in case. Still good to know she’s balanced well and will come back up without getting a hernia.
At least you saved her. This bike doesn't usually allow mistakes. And if you really want irony, my first drop occurred when on a Thursday I had decided to buy rear Ilium crash bars at the MOA Rally on Saturday, but go riding Friday, and the drop of course occurred on Friday, a day before I'd have had them on the bike.

I have nearly, but not, had an accident from a rolling stick, pecan hull, etc., and now check the outside of any garage before I head backwards, standard duck walk or reverse-gear.

Also, at least on the GT, I find that there's a figurative ton of difference in the way the bike feels in terms of the center-of-gravity based whether the gas tank is at 2 or less gallons, versus 5-7 gallons full.

After a second drop where my brain processed a surface as flat, together with a transition from pavement to gravel, while turning at full left lock, only back brake on, but it was a slope, I've decided that as a mountain rider, the Motojitsu flat pavement stuff might help a little, but I'd really like to have a slow-turn course (using someone else's bikes 😁 ) where the parking and turning areas are varying in surface, transitioning from pavement to gravel and dirt, and uphill, downhill, and undulating.

I did do something stupid which caused the first drop, so I can make sure that one won't happen again, but I've still only dropped this bike, out of 20 or so I've owned over the years, and even then, I've never dropped it on flat ground. I can now park my GT by going down a steep hill at one of my offices, then making a full-lock right turn on a slope, to face the garage entrance, BUT to be comfortable doing it, I had to spend a lot of time and practice.. It's always been a mystery to me why the slow-handling courses operate on the assumption that the real world only requires incredible slow speed riding on flat pavement.

Reactions: Harbinger

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ditto with the clutch and rear brake. Have just spent a week riding Passes in the Alps 2 up with lots of luggage. I found the best way and the safest way, for me at any rate is 2nd gear, leave the clutch fully engaged and use the rear brake to modulate speed at walking pace with a tiny bit of throttle, especially when negotiating 180o plus very tight turns keeping the bike virtually upright and the drivetrain engaged. Then as soon as all is clear power out of the turn. Takes a little practise but found it a repeatable and dependable option, the K has so much torque I found 2nd to be the best. 1st gear is too twitchy, smoothness is the key....IMHO.
Ditto

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
At least you saved her. This bike doesn't usually allow mistakes. And if you really want irony, my first drop occurred when on a Thursday I had decided to buy rear Ilium crash bars at the MOA Rally on Saturday, but go riding Friday, and the drop of course occurred on Friday, a day before I'd have had them on the bike.

I I had to spend a lot of time and practice.. It's always been a mystery to me why the slow-handling courses operate on the assumption that the real world only requires incredible slow speed riding on flat pavement.
Thanks, yes very glad I saved her. I HAVE to place that order for drop protection but it's mind boggling that this is the first year BWW is offering some drop protection (engine guards I think) for this size and weight while I was able to get OEM drop protection for the C650GT. It saved my ass BTW as it got knocked over while (very legally) parked by a car. I wasn't around and no note left so took my lumps but it would have cost a lot more without it. At least they picked it back up and I'm sure that would have required 2 people... My guess is some good samaritans found it down and picked it up for me.

Ha! Yeah bang on with the courses. They do help but it's almost always in a parking lot that has been cleared of all debris and is nice and flat. The real world is far from that. Our roads suck here and I can't tell you how many times I've put a foot down to find the pavement isn't where I expect it to be. We have some very dangerous lights here where trucks have sunken in the pavement but it's deceiving to look at.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
To be honest it wasn’t as bad as I thought for a bike it’s size.
Although ~100lbs heavier than the K11LT, the K16 carries it a lot lower. Even with an aux fuel tank, something I never had on the K11, the K16 still handles the low-speed stuff better than the lighter K11.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts

·
Techmeister
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The biggest problem I had with a stock K was the shortness of range within the clutch throw; it was almost binary. I fixed this with the Bren tune.
I did find (and do agree) that with the bike in 2nd, and the clutch fully disengaged, using only the rear brake as a feathering, I can roll lock-to-lock in a decent parking lot.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
The biggest problem I had with a stock K was the shortness of range within the clutch throw; it was almost binary. I fixed this with the Bren tune.
I did find (and do agree) that with the bike in 2nd, and the clutch fully disengaged, using only the rear brake as a feathering, I can roll lock-to-lock in a decent parking lot.
Huh.. I've always feathered and used the rear brake in 1st gear at slow speed but will try second gear as yeah that would affect the clutch. The more I ride her the better I am getting with riding the rear brake in slow traffic with the clutch not engaged. It takes a while to get the feel of a new bike and figure out the tolerances such as how much throttle it needs before pulling in the clutch. It does downshift well though and I find rev matching very easy on this bike.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
OK, I went out to my favorite parking lot today and checked out where the CC could be set. 10 MPH and I can bump it down from there to 8 MPH or up to where ever. Maybe it's a change they made for 2019 K's

41 - 52 of 52 Posts