BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lid on the small storage compartment by my left knee doesn't click shut when I close the lid. The lid stays open. When the lid is open I can push the locking mechanism with my finger and it will lock in place, but not when I push the lid down. I have a 2012 K1600GTL.

Does anyone have a simple solution?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
My brothers and mine did the same thing and we ended up taking the box and mechanism apart, cleaning everything and lubricating any surfaces that slide against each other. About a 1/2 hour job. Perhaps some cleaning solution spray and lubricant will fix it for a little while.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
could you lock it with the key

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't lock it with the key either. Ok, it sounds like I will have to take it apart. I did try some spray but that seem to help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Upside Down
1,632 Posts
Sounds more like adjustments out of alinement .I hope you get a fix for it and would be trying what Arizona Jim suggested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds more like adjustments out of alinement .I hope you get a fix for it and would be trying what Arizona Jim suggested.
Well now Geoff - looks as if i have the same issue with my LHS Storage Compartment - opened it a few weeks ago now and it refused to close shut, and then finally after countless pushed it finally locked - stayed closed until today when I opened it again to see if i had the same issue, and yes I do. Given the area a squirt of WD40 to see what happens. RHS works just fine. A mystery.

·
Upside Down
1,632 Posts
could you lock it with the key
It should lock with the remote, but this seems like a locking mechanism.I personaly would be taking the lock apart and clean it.But if the bike is under warranty just take it do the dealership to have them look at it and lodge it against your Vin number so down the tracj any further issue and they may replace the whole assembly.

Reactions: Magoo222

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Mine does the same thing once in a while. Take your finger with the door open and push the latch closed then open it with the button. When you close the door make sure you push where the latch is. If you push on it above or below the latch area it won't latch.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,481 Posts
Hope the OP is still riding..................Holy thread resurrection🦴

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine does the same thing once in a while. Take your finger with the door open and push the latch closed then open it with the button. When you close the door make sure you push where the latch is. If you push on it above or below the latch area it won't latch.
I did this all the time and worked. Until I got this problem fixed in the dealer. He unscrewed and screwed again the compartment and the door latch.
Works prefects eversince

1 - 12 of 12 Posts