BMW K1600 Forum banner

Likely Buying a '23 GA Tomorrow!

977 Views 50 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  CavRider
So, I'm planning to purchase a 2023 K 1600 Grand America tomorrow afternoon. This will be my first BMW! I have owned most other brands over the last 25 years. I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about going to a brand I've never had, especially with this price tag, but definitely even more excited! This will likely be replacing my 2012 HD Street Glide (as it'll serve the same purpose). My Street Glide has been very good to me for the last 86k miles on it.

A few questions:

1. Any significant differences between the 2022 and 2023 GA?

2. I can't decide between the 2023 Black and the Bronze Matte color. Open to input!

3. Any "break-in period" advice for the 3.5 hour ride home with it tomorrow?

4. Anything specific I should do, ask, request at the BMW dealer tomorrow? I've never even walked into a BMW dealer before. lol

3. Are there things I may miss about the Harley?

4. Any Must-Have / Must-Do first modifications or additions/deletions I should know about?

Thanks!!!
  • Love
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
If you enjoyed the neutered performance and power of the HD, you will be BLOWN AWAY from the performance of the k16.
Ride it like you stole it.
You won't miss a thing about your HD except maybe the fact that we don't visit dealerships for fun and we don't collect $50 t-shirts.
Read up on posts here for mods, you'll want to ride it a bit before deciding what you want to do. it's a great bike right out of the box so not much required.
Reactions: 5
Welcome from out here in the MidWest. being a long time HD rider I'm Interested in what brought you to the G/A. You will miss the sluggishness compared to the G/A. Probably one of the first things you may want to invest in is a set of guards for the side cases. A tip over could be expensive.
Welcome from out here in the MidWest. being a long time HD rider I'm Interested in what brought you to the G/A. You will miss the sluggishness compared to the G/A. Probably one of the first things you may want to invest in is a set of guards for the side cases. A tip over could be expensive.
Well, I have ridden, tracked, raced, just about all types of motos over the years. My HD took me to MANY places all over this country. I'm in the mid-west too, BTW. Wife and I just rode it from Indiana to Texas over a long weekend last month and I made the mistake of sitting on a GA at the MototGP in Texas. Haven't been able to get it out of my head since then! I LOVE slow tight maneuvering on my FLHX, but I don't really LOVE anything about it besides that. The classic look of it, I do appreciate! I hate the suspension with a passion. It's terrible. The acceleration leaves a lot to be desired, but certainly enough to tour w the wife on back. I think mostly I'm looking forward to improved performance all around. I'm hoping I can still enjoy some low-speed police comp style maneuvering with it... your suggestion of guards for the side cases is a good one!! Thank you!
Your experience is somewhat the same as mine. Went into a BMW dealer to get some new cheek pads for my schuberth helmet and on the way out I made the mistake of stopping to look at a GTL. The sales manager talked me into taking it out for a test ride. That was all it took. I'm also looking to trade for a G/A. I'm also in some place in Indiana.
1. Any significant differences between the 2022 and 2023 GA?
No, not really.

2. I can't decide between the 2023 Black and the Bronze Matte color. Open to input!
Get the Bronze Matte 100%. Black is sort of a default color, cant go wrong but it's also a little boring. That Bronze Matte is gorgeous in the sunlight.

Don't ride at a single RPM the whole way. You want to build pressure in the combustion chamber with acceleration and engine braking. Take the twisty route home and ride it somewhat hard if you can.

4. Anything specific I should do, ask, request at the BMW dealer tomorrow? I've never even walked into a BMW dealer before. lol
Maybe check out their gear selection.

3. Are there things I may miss about the Harley?
I'm sure you will. It's a totally different experience. Twins have a lot of character, but the inline 6 has an addictive crescendo that is unlike anything else. You're trading one good thing for another. So it's a bit of give and take. Overall, you are trading way up.

4. Any Must-Have / Must-Do first modifications or additions/deletions I should know about?
I think the two most common things out of the box are going to be the windscreen and the seats.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
1) The only thing you are going to miss about the Harley is the sound!
2) You will never experience the heat from the motor like the Harley.
3) Windscreen and the seat are not the best. Look at Klock Works for windscreen and Sargents for new seat.
4) Ride it like you stole it, beware! It is nothing like a Harley, the acceleration is incredible.
Awesome & helpful responses! Ah, yes, how could I forget about the HEAT from the Harley... OMG. I won't miss that a bit!

How about passenger comfort reports on the GA? Anyone have a link to the rear guards to protect the side cases? Thanks!!
My wife loves the BMW vs the Harley. Not a whole lot of aftermarket for BMW. Check out Ilium Works and Wunderlich America.
Reactions: 2

20+ years and hundreds of thousands miles on Road Glides. Only complaint was the poor reliability of the 110" motor. Started reading about the GA. One test ride lead to a purchase in September, '22. Have not looked back.

1. Any significant differences between the 2022 and 2023 GA? NONE

2. I can't decide between the 2023 Black and the Bronze Matte color. Open to INPUT! COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE.

VARY YOUR SPEED. Busting The Engine Break-In Myth

3. Are there things I may miss about the Harley? SOUND SYSTEM

SUBJECTIVE. FOR ME: LEATHER SEAT, DRIVER'S BACKREST, 33-500, BAR BACKS, K1600B / GRAND AMERICA 2018 AND UP, ANYTHING BUT THE UGLY, STOCK EXHAUST CANS.
See less See more
View attachment 179072

20+ years and hundreds of thousands miles on Road Glides. Only complaint was the poor reliability of the 110" motor. Started reading about the GA. One test ride lead to a purchase in September, '22. Have not looked back.

1. Any significant differences between the 2022 and 2023 GA? NONE

2. I can't decide between the 2023 Black and the Bronze Matte color. Open to INPUT! COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE.

VARY YOUR SPEED. Busting The Engine Break-In Myth

3. Are there things I may miss about the Harley? SOUND SYSTEM

SUBJECTIVE. FOR ME: LEATHER SEAT, DRIVER'S BACKREST, 33-500, BAR BACKS, K1600B / GRAND AMERICA 2018 AND UP, ANYTHING BUT THE UGLY, STOCK EXHAUST CANS.
What a gorgeous machine you have there! Thanks for sharing that pic & all the advice! Man, that's beautiful!

I'm leaning toward the Black mostly due to availability. No problem on varying speed to break-in. That's how I've always done all my machines. I do have a sound system in my HD, but honestly I never used it. I used the SENA in my helmet anyway. Your corbin seat does look great! I have a corbin on my super tenere currently.

thanks!!!
Oh yeah, one other thing came to mind that you may miss is all your Harley riding buds. They may not want to hang out with you any more.
  • Haha
Oh yeah, one other thing came to mind that you may miss is all your Harley riding buds. They may not want to hang out with you any more.
I'm not too worried about that. I don't typically choose to hang w/friends who are more loyal to a brand than to me, but I guess this will be a test! 🤣
I sold my 2014 Street Glide Special early last year for a couple of main reasons: 1) as you say, that “suspension” is atrocious and 2) I grew weary of all the noise. I was embarrassed to attempt passing because with the 4” Reinharts it would make a terrible racket when I twisted that grip but it didn’t really go perceptibly faster. It’s like that right hand grip was just a volume control. Be forewarned: the right hand grip on a K1600 is definitely NOT that.

You will also likely perceive the K1600 as somewhat more top heavy than the HD. Not troublesome. Just be aware.

I have not missed that SGS for a single instant. It was fine for what it was but the page is turned and those V-Twin days are in the rearview
K1600s, compared to an HD are fast, very fast. Like most of these guys, we're all speed junkies so be careful.
I bought a 2023 GTL over the GA but they are both great bikes.
I sold my 2014 Street Glide Special early last year for a couple of main reasons: 1) as you say, that “suspension” is atrocious and 2) I grew weary of all the noise. I was embarrassed to attempt passing because with the 4” Reinharts it would make a terrible racket when I twisted that grip but it didn’t really go perceptibly faster. It’s like that right hand grip was just a volume control. Be forewarned: the right hand grip on a K1600 is definitely NOT that.

You will also likely perceive the K1600 as somewhat more top heavy than the HD. Not troublesome. Just be aware.

I have not missed that SGS for a single instant. It was fine for what it was but the page is turned and those V-Twin days are in the rearview
Volume control, that's funny!

Well, I did it. Bought this and rode it 3hrs home yesterday! What a great machine! Can’t wait to get back on it! Such an incredible difference in riding experience from the HD. Probably so many questions to come! 😁
See less See more
Reactions: 5
View attachment 179095
Well, I did it. Bought this and rode it 3hrs home yesterday! What a great machine! Can’t wait to get back on it! Such an incredible difference in riding experience from the HD. Probably so many questions to come! 😁
Congrats! What a world of difference eh?

" Why didn't I do this sooner? Why didn't I do this sooner Why didn't I do this sooner...."
View attachment 179095
Congratulations! We did much the same thing! Took wife to look at a new GTL in Dec, did a 20 mile test ride, brought a new blue one home!! Very happy we did it!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts