BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
International Man of Mystery
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 900 km on the new rig and about ready for the break in service on Wednesday. Like alway I look at the first 1000 km as a shake down ride to identify potential issues and there are a few I don't expect or will tolerate:

1. slight left pull
  2. windshield not correctly aligned with dash
  3. implausible next service date on the info screen
  4. Several growing oil stains on the rhs heat shield

Item 2 and 3 indicate sloppy set up inspection at the dealer, 1 and 4 are likely in the responsibility of the factory. Need the bike in good working order by Friday for a 2 weeks trip and don't like particularly item 4 on a brand new bike.

Reactions: ksam and Geoff_3

·
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
deleted double post

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
that nearside screen lift wasn't due to catching on crash helmet was it ?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
deleted double post
That’s right up there with the “Heartbreak of Psoriasis”. It’s a darn shame your new bike has disappointed you thus far. All of us hope for a speedy resolution to its problems.

Happy motoring isn’t too far away sir, hang in there!

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,427 Posts
Yep. All of those are annoyance-worthy, @ViennaK.

You might appreciate these lyrics from one of my favorite artists, Robert Earl Keen, “It’s the Little Things (That Piss Me Off)”:

·
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that nearside screen lift wasn't due to catching on crash helmet was it ?
No interference between helmet and screen, have a bad habit of hanging the helmet on the handle bar

·
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only concern is the oil loss. Rear tires and oil loss of unpredictable amount don't go well together; all else gonna be fixed eventually,

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
@ViennaK, agree with all of your observations on these problems 110%. Very disappointing.

I hope you get enemy #1, oil issue, resolved before your trip and all this does not change your plan. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Frankly, it baffles me that dealerships for premium manufacturers don’t have a better understanding of quality. Having said that, my experience is that The Mothership in the case of BMW have an at best tenuous grasp of the concept, so perhaps I shouldn’t be so confused.

Every one of those issues would attract a complaint from me.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'd raise **** about the oil leak.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Aren't those oil stains on the heat shield directly below the oil filler/dipstick and possible that someone checking the level allowed it to drip - these dipsticks hold a lot of oil.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Implausible service date? Unless you have a time machine, it's closer to impossible, I'd say. That's the least of your issues but I know you know that. Sorry for your disappointment and good luck on speedy and lasting resolutions to the problems.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Kilometer wise, isn't the normal maintenance interval every 10K? (6000 miles for us American folks) with the 900 on the clock that would put it at the 10,000KM mark for your next service. Maybe you were looking for the actual 10,901 km on the clock? I have always seen the dealers set the reminder at the 10,000KM/6000 mile mark after the break in service, but I don't figure they all do it exactly the same. Not to mention that it isn't unheard of to do another oil change at 5000 km/3000 miles and at the 10,000km/6000 mile mark just to keep the oil from getting too contaminated from the break in of the internals.

As far as the oil on the heat shields, I would be cleaning it up to see if it reappears. Techs don't seem to care about where they put their hands and it could be greasy handprints from them completing your service. Brake cleaner should do the trick, just don't let it sit too long. and check and make sure your fasteners are all dry, including your oil filter. it happens, but still sloppy work if it was after the service.

I hope your wind screen or mount is warped or bent, that is quite a bit off.

·
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aren't those oil stains on the heat shield directly below the oil filler/dipstick and possible that someone checking the level allowed it to drip - these dipsticks hold a lot of oil.
Nope was clean when I took the bike and I didn’t touch the dipstick

·
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kilometer wise, isn't the normal maintenance interval every 10K? (6000 miles for us American folks) with the 900 on the clock that would put it at the 10,000KM mark for your next service. Maybe you were looking for the actual 10,901 km on the clock? I have always seen the dealers set the reminder at the 10,000KM/6000 mile mark after the break in service, but I don't figure they all do it exactly the same. Not to mention that it isn't unheard of to do another oil change at 5000 km/3000 miles and at the 10,000km/6000 mile mark just to keep the oil from getting too contaminated from the break in of the internals.

As far as the oil on the heat shields, I would be cleaning it up to see if it reappears. Techs don't seem to care about where they put their hands and it could be greasy handprints from them completing your service. Brake cleaner should do the trick, just don't let it sit too long. and check and make sure your fasteners are all dry, including your oil filter. it happens, but still sloppy work if it was after the service.

I hope your wind screen or mount is warped or bent, that is quite a bit off.
It is about the date, 01-01-2006 would require a time machine, which even the BigK isn‘t capable of:)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I feel your pain Vienna. My Left Pull was significant. HQ fitted a new frame and much else besides which, has all but cured the issue. Which just shows it can be done despite endless and various amounts of BS from Dealers and HQ for many of our members? Yes, its liveable, but NO it is absolutely unacceptable. Was the bike designed to do this...of course not. Then fix the furking thing, became my attitude.

Ditto for Oil consumption. Mine was drinking 1 liter/1,000kms. Again endless BS from the usual suspects. Was it designed to do that, NO? Then FTFT.

My new/eng/gearbox combo fitted 3,000kms ago is not rattling loudly and getting worse. My poor old dealer tells me its probably a Clutch Spring issue. The bike goes in next week for yet more down time, after 8 months fixing the previous issues.

In what way are any of these issues acceptable, especially for the 'Premier' manufacturer of 'Quality' motorcycles at 'Quality' prices?.

Just came back from a quick 500 km day ride with the boss. What a machine, gobbled up 400 kms of freeway then ripped through the twisties frightening the local canines as it 'rattled' through the villages. If I have to cancel my trip to the Furka Pass and through Switzerland in 3 weeks there is going to be absolute murders....namely me by the boss, who's looking forward to some Fondue :D

Good luck Vienna. I strongly recommend you play merry h*ll about all your issues, and don't take prisoner !! ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
It is about the date, 01-01-2006 would require a time machine, which even the BigK isn‘t capable of:)
I wonder if they disconnected the battery for some reason and the date was still off when they reset the service reminder.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
My only concern is the oil loss. Rear tires and oil loss of unpredictable amount don't go well together; all else gonna be fixed eventually,
Especially on your autobahns. Really fond memories of the years I lived there...was driving Saab turbos at the time though.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts