BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
:frown:Hi Joe,

After 23,000 miles in a little over 12 months I've learnt a lot about the GTL. Overall its a great bike on a smiles per mile basis. Great engine and good handling. I also have every extra factory fitted and would highly recommend Reverse (she weighs a great deal fully loaded and reverse has been from time to time essential). Hill start is also a great bonus for the same reasons. Quick shift makes the most of the engine, once accustomed to its use you'll never want to go back to using a clutch all the time.

Accessories.

The seat for me was a torture contraption, others have said its OK. I took a leap of faith and ordered a Russel Day Long last winter. What a difference it has made. I can and have ridden for over 1,000 miles in a day and the seat is simply no factor....great comfort all the way which would just have been impossible on the stock seat. I'm 6'5", my Russel is 2" higher than the stock extra tall and therefore the stock screen did not give me the coverage I needed height wise. I replaced it with CalSci XXL. Now I sit in a bubble of calm at all speeds. Stock luggage is adequate but highly recommend bag liners for all three. Its amazing how much more can be loaded and unloading to the tent or hotel is a snap. Wouldn't leave home without them. Wunderlich Media Bag, Dash Bag and Side Stand foot plate again are all essential items. Both bags are so handy, the media bag is connected to an auxiliary USB fed direct from the battery using Optimate cabling and fixtures. The USB charges both my phone and a Power Pack. The extended side stand footplate is a must, soft ground will cause a tipover if not very careful.

Problems.

Maybe I've been unlucky. Issues with the bike started within a day of delivery and have continued to date. Failed Speed Sensors, Lean Angle Sensors, Screen Cracking, Electrical fittings, Hill Start Failure, NAV VI failure, GPS cradle failure x 2, Handle Bar loose switching clusters etc etc. However the biggest problems, evident since delivery from new, are as still outstanding. Oil Consumption and the infamous Left Pull. My bike uses a liter of oil on average every 1,000-1,200 miles. The left pull is a pain in the a** .

Would I buy a GTL again.....most probably as there is nothing to compare it with currently on the market for what I need. Fast long distance touring is my order of the day. BMW are currently fixing the OIL and PULL issues....hopefully and have had the bike for a month so far

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The guy that does videos called "living on the slab" found on YouTube traded a Vision for an 18 BMW K1600 GTL. He explains why the trade and what he thinks about the bike. You might find interesting. It's even a white GTL.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Thanks, I just finished watching his 3 part series, good information! Funny thing is he has exactly what I'm looking for!! 2018 White K1600 GTL

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks but that's the wrong side of the country! I'm in East Tennessee! I've test ridden one, a couple of years ago...Didn't however, take the wife.
Maybe consider a flight to Vegas with the wife, for a night out and a day ride in the mountains near there, or out to California. You're about to spend 25k +, it would be wise to spend 1K making sure you can live it. You can't get your hands on a new one right now anyway, until maybe next year, or even spring next year. Why is it a big deal on a K1600? Because of the demographics of the bikes for sale with low mileage, that you just don't get on touring bikes like the Honda Goldwings for example. Of the used K1600's advertised over the last couple of years, many have low low miles for a tourer, and some have not been owned long before selling them again. Why? Love it or hate it kinda bike? I love mine, so mine is a one-sided opinion.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Of the used K1600's advertised over the last couple of years, many have low low miles for a tourer, and some have not been owned long before selling them again. Why? Love it or hate it kinda bike? I love mine, so mine is a one-sided opinion.
I bought my 2018 GTL used with 1200 miles on it. The previous owner didn't "hate" it. The guy was 70 years old and realized after buying it new that it was too much bike for him to handle. I looked at a few other slightly used GTLs before deciding on the on the one I bought, and it was basically the same story. I bought my previous K1200LT from a 74 year old guy in the same situation. Of course, there are other reasons for selling -- change in financial situation, no time to ride, etc. But hate it?? Unless you can show some credible study on reasons for selling that show hate as a motivating factor, your reasoning might need some revising.

Regardless, buying a slightly used K16 can save $7,000-$10,000 (or more) over the price of new. It's an option very much worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Regardless, buying a slightly used K16 can save $7,000-$10,000 (or more) over the price of new. It's an option very much worth looking into.
I really like the 2019 black and silver GT Sport but just couldn't justify the $7,000 difference between it and the gently used 2018 Mars Red GT I ended up flying to Minnesota for.

·
Registered
61 Posts

After 23,000 miles in a little over 12 months I've learnt a lot about the GTL. Overall its a great bike on a smiles per mile basis. Great engine and good handling. I also have every extra factory fitted and would highly recommend Reverse (she weighs a great deal fully loaded and reverse has been from time to time essential). Hill start is also a great bonus for the same reasons. Quick shift makes the most of the engine, once accustomed to its use you'll never want to go back to using a clutch all the time.

Accessories.

The seat for me was a torture contraption, others have said its OK. I took a leap of faith and ordered a Russel Day Long last winter. What a difference it has made. I can and have ridden for over 1,000 miles in a day and the seat is simply no factor....great comfort all the way which would just have been impossible on the stock seat. I'm 6'5", my Russel is 2" higher than the stock extra tall and therefore the stock screen did not give me the coverage I needed height wise. I replaced it with CalSci XXL. Now I sit in a bubble of calm at all speeds. Stock luggage is adequate but highly recommend bag liners for all three. Its amazing how much more can be loaded and unloading to the tent or hotel is a snap. Wouldn't leave home without them. Wunderlich Media Bag, Dash Bag and Side Stand foot plate again are all essential items. Both bags are so handy, the media bag is connected to an auxiliary USB fed direct from the battery using Optimate cabling and fixtures. The USB charges both my phone and a Power Pack. The extended side stand footplate is a must, soft ground will cause a tipover if not very careful.

Problems.

Maybe I've been unlucky. Issues with the bike started within a day of delivery and have continued to date. Failed Speed Sensors, Lean Angle Sensors, Screen Cracking, Electrical fittings, Hill Start Failure, NAV VI failure, GPS cradle failure x 2, Handle Bar loose switching clusters etc etc. However the biggest problems, evident since delivery from new, are as still outstanding. Oil Consumption and the infamous Left Pull. My bike uses a liter of oil on average every 1,000-1,200 miles. The left pull is a pain in the a** .

Would I buy a GTL again.....most probably as there is nothing to compare it with currently on the market for what I need. Fast long distance touring is my order of the day. BMW are currently fixing the OIL and PULL issues....hopefully and have had the bike for a month so far
Thanks for the post. I had all the same questions on my '18 gtl (and some niggles) you just addressed. I will get them sorted out because this bike is just delicious. Left pull and GPS cradle are persistent. I haven't owned it long enough to experience the oil over consumption but will keep an eye peeled for it. Bren just emailed that my ECU is on the way back to me.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I bought my 2018 GTL used with 1200 miles on it. The previous owner didn't "hate" it. The guy was 70 years old and realized after buying it new that it was too much bike for him to handle. I looked at a few other slightly used GTLs before deciding on the on the one I bought, and it was basically the same story. I bought my previous K1200LT from a 74 year old guy in the same situation. Of course, there are other reasons for selling -- change in financial situation, no time to ride, etc. But hate it?? Unless you can show some credible study on reasons for selling that show hate as a motivating factor, your reasoning might need some revising.

Agreed, I'm looking at a used 2018 GTL, several to choose from, just got to save my pennies before I pull the trigger...

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Accessories.

Problems.

Thanks afhorsley...Great information...Might shoot you a PM for more details on some of the add on gear....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe consider a flight to Vegas with the wife, for a night out and a day ride in the mountains near there, or out to California. You're about to spend 25k +, it would be wise to spend 1K making sure you can live it. You can't get your hands on a new one right now anyway, until maybe next year, or even spring next year. Why is it a big deal on a K1600? Because of the demographics of the bikes for sale with low mileage, that you just don't get on touring bikes like the Honda Goldwings for example. Of the used K1600's advertised over the last couple of years, many have low low miles for a tourer, and some have not been owned long before selling them again. Why? Love it or hate it kinda bike? I love mine, so mine is a one-sided opinion.

Geez.......it's a saying.....the bottom line is, there seem to be more riders who decide the K1600 is not their cup of tea after short ownership. Ok, the 70 year old was intimidated, maybe a 40 year old can be intimidated, too, eh? The previous owner if my bike was a Navy Seal, bought it cash from a BMW dealer. Put on ztech tallest windshield, wunderlich handle bar risers, maybe even taller seat, and then traded it 3 years later with low miles 3 years later. on a Harley I didn't ask, or want to know why he traded it as it was immaterial. But I think it's a pretty good guess that he wasn't intimidated by the K1600. The evidence would suggest that he couldn't get comfortable because of the mods he did. Or something else made him go to Harley. A daylong test ride with the wife would give the original poster clarity. I do not know of any dealerships that give daylong test rides on new K1600's in November 2019.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Thanks but that's the wrong side of the country! I'm in East Tennessee! I've test ridden one, a couple of years ago...Didn't however, take the wife.
Round-trip, Nashville to Las Vegas. Two adults, 130 bucks.

:grin:

Attachments

Reactions: Geoff_3 and bikerj

·
Registered
491 Posts
Agreed, I'm looking at a used 2018 GTL, several to choose from, just got to save my pennies before I pull the trigger...
And you'll still have around 2 years left on the warranty. Good luck with the pennies and the search.

Geez.......it's a saying.....the bottom line is, there seem to be more riders who decide the K1600 is not their cup of tea after short ownership.
The "saying" has a direct meaning that you're now trying to backtrack from.

I acknowledged there were many reasons why an owner sells his K16 after a short period of time. My opinion is "hate" and "not their cup of tea" are not the majority reasons. BMW is a nitche motorcycle market. The majority of K16s sold (GT and GTLs) are to prior BMW owners who understand the brand and the line-up. They're already seasoned BMW riders. Not many of those are selling because they suddenly decide they hate a model that's an upgrade to a BMW bike they already own.

For guys coming over directly from Harley? Maybe. As comfortable and capable as the K16 can be, the model is not a rolling couch. You don't get to put a costume on and become and implicitly become a member of a "club". That kind of change can be a shock to the system, and maybe trigger an early bike divorce.

Anyway, I hope this helps thinking about the used K16 market.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
And you'll still have around 2 years left on the warranty. Good luck with the pennies and the search.

The "saying" has a direct meaning that you're now trying to backtrack from.

I acknowledged there were many reasons why an owner sells his K16 after a short period of time. My opinion is "hate" and "not their cup of tea" are not the majority reasons. BMW is a nitche motorcycle market. The majority of K16s sold (GT and GTLs) are to prior BMW owners who understand the brand and the line-up. They're already seasoned BMW riders. Not many of those are selling because they suddenly decide they hate a model that's an upgrade to a BMW bike they already own.

For guys coming over directly from Harley? Maybe. As comfortable and capable as the K16 can be, the model is not a rolling couch. You don't get to put a costume on and become and implicitly become a member of a "club". That kind of change can be a shock to the system, and maybe trigger an early bike divorce.

Anyway, I hope this helps thinking about the used K16 market.
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I started out in the "club" mentality and drank the Kool-Aid....I got wise and moved to Victory, especially when I got SPANKED on my RG by another Vision.... I love riding my Vision, but seeing the bottom dropped out of Victory by Polaris. I tested the GTL about 3 or 4 years ago for about 30 minutes and it was quite pleasurable!!

I'll take another ride and confirm what I remember...Thanks for the insight!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I started out in the "club" mentality and drank the Kool-Aid....I got wise and moved to Victory and love riding my Vision, but seeing the bottom dropped out of them. I tested the GTL for about 30 minutes and it was quite pleasurable!!

I'll take another ride and confirm what I remember...Thanks for the insight!!
For what it's worth, I too started out in the "club" and dove in head first. I had my official vest, chaps, brain bucket and all the other trimmings. A test ride of the R1200RT 15 years ago was my first step to recovery. More than once, I've talked to Harley people standing over and staring at my parked GTL like it was an alien space ship. The divide between the two worlds is fascinating. All I can say is I'm glad that I crossed it. :smile:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
For what it's worth, I too started out in the "club" and dove in head first. I had my official vest, chaps, brain bucket and all the other trimmings. A test ride of the R1200RT 15 years ago was my first step to recovery. More than once, I've talked to Harley people standing over and staring at my parked GTL like it was an alien space ship. The divide between the two worlds is fascinating. All I can say is I'm glad that I crossed it. :smile:

I am finding more of the Harley guys are really starting to give the BMWs and Goldwings more serious looks now, as compared to 10-20 years ago, but this is the aging crowd of your typical "Harley Guy" and may be some realization that there are good bikes out there outside of Harley's spectrum

As far as the original post was fishing for, I bought the manual on CD that seems to be a copy of the dealer manual. That thing reads like a Chinese calculus equation for time travel. while all the information you need is there, it is not at all user friendly and takes a while to figure out for a first time user. But it is nice to be able to print yourself a page to walk out to the shop with and not worry about greasing up a $100 shop manual. But TBH, I have gotten more information from this forum and YouTube, along with the tips and tricks that make life a lot easier on yourself. Case and point: Xenon headlight bulb replacement. Found out on the forum here that you can access the headlight cover and change the bulb by simply taking the handlebars off, as compared to a surgical procedure that would have taken half the day, that otherwise the shop charges close to $500 for to change a bulb that costs $60 on Amazon...

The stereo speakers suck, and there have been folks that have put some real money into their bikes to get something decent with them. Just use the Bluetooth, its better anyway. But the stereo/Bluetooth isn't that great either and there are also fixes for that as well, which have also been discussed in the forum.

Used bikes are about to get cheaper with the offseason, and the 2019 stock is starting to go into discount mode, especially at large dealerships. Consider this vs. waiting until the riding season gets started next year when everything goes into profit mode and prices go back up in the spring.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am finding more of the Harley guys are really starting to give the BMWs and Goldwings more serious looks now, as compared to 10-20 years ago, but this is the aging crowd of your typical "Harley Guy" and may be some realization that there are good bikes out there outside of Harley's spectrum

As far as the original post was fishing for, I bought the manual on CD that seems to be a copy of the dealer manual. That thing reads like a Chinese calculus equation for time travel. while all the information you need is there, it is not at all user friendly and takes a while to figure out for a first time user. But it is nice to be able to print yourself a page to walk out to the shop with and not worry about greasing up a $100 shop manual. But TBH, I have gotten more information from this forum and YouTube, along with the tips and tricks that make life a lot easier on yourself. Case and point: Xenon headlight bulb replacement. Found out on the forum here that you can access the headlight cover and change the bulb by simply taking the handlebars off, as compared to a surgical procedure that would have taken half the day, that otherwise the shop charges close to $500 for to change a bulb that costs $60 on Amazon...

The stereo speakers suck, and there have been folks that have put some real money into their bikes to get something decent with them. Just use the Bluetooth, its better anyway. But the stereo/Bluetooth isn't that great either and there are also fixes for that as well, which have also been discussed in the forum.

Used bikes are about to get cheaper with the offseason, and the 2019 stock is starting to go into discount mode, especially at large dealerships. Consider this vs. waiting until the riding season gets started next year when everything goes into profit mode and prices go back up in the spring.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the heads up on shop manual....I failed Chinese calculus equation for time travel in class! :grin:

I've found 2018's with less than a 1000 miles on each. Just got to figure out what a good price is for them and see which dealer is hungry for making a deal...

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on shop manual....I failed Chinese calculus equation for time travel in class! :grin:

I've found 2018's with less than a 1000 miles on each. Just got to figure out what a good price is for them and see which dealer is hungry for making a deal...
Just keep in mind that the dealer has to make a little money too. After that, a good deal is one you both are happy with.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Darbinco,

Thanks for the response... Yeah, I found a thread regarding ear plugs/buds will be checking it out if the thread doesn't end abruptly! :grin:

Good to know mods and tuners are available, always like to get more performance although it doesn't sound like much is needed. :surprise::surprise:

Yes, I'm very familiar with tires lasting about 6K, I used to run Avon Cobras on my Vision and would go through them all the time about 5 to 6K. I like to ride aggressively and have actually passed several crotch rockets on the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway...Especially when I had a fresh set of Cobras on... >:)

Thanks about the de-tuning on the 18 and newer models hadn't seen that everywhere else! good info!!
Joe. I think that Darbinco addressed all your questions and you asked the correct ones. I had a Victory Crossroads and 2 Indian Road Masters that I loved and like you ran Avon Cobras because the Dunlop E3`s were crap especially in the rain. Over the years I have also had 3 x RT`s and 2 x GTL`s the last was a 2017 and loved it and waiting for BMW to release the new 2019 with the Stop Sale recall, so I dought you will be unhappy with the performance or handling of the BMW`s. As mentioned above buy the latest model that you can afford as most of the issues have been ironed out. No matter what you buy these days they all have some sort of issue even if it is just a small one but BMW do back their products, my local dealership has done warranty work on bikes that are 2 or 3 years out of warranty and BMW have backed it up in most cases. As for tires you buy what you're happy with but go with popular brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, etc and you can't go wrong too much. Most of the tires used on the K1600 and Rt`s are a softer compound compared to the Indian and Victory and Harleys but they are more cruiser type bikes as you know. Good luck and great to see you doing your homework so you can make an informed decision when you're ready.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts