BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I’m finally accepting that my Ducati 1200S Multistrada is too tall for relaxed pillion use, and yesterday took a K1600B out for a test ride with Mrs Deaks riding pillion.

we both loved it, not to tall to get on and off, super comfy (apart from a bit of head turbulence), steers nice and goes like stink when asked.

So now I’m on the look out for a nice used model. Which leaves me with a few questions…….

Ideally, I don’t want to spend more than 15k, should I buy from a BMW dealers ‘approved’ stock.
That come with 2 years warranty and roadside assistance, but are either more expensive or have more miles than a similar bike from an independent dealer (normally with 3 months maximum warranty)?
Is a 2017 model with low miles (5k max) a more sensible buy than a 2019 model with 15k miles (both with service history)?
I’m wanting the LE model preferably in Black, one already fitted with a backrest and rack would be nice.
Is there anything in particular that I should look out for when viewing?
All advice gratefully received

TIA

Deaks :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
A two year warranty makes buying from a BMW dealership a more attractive option but nothing wrong with buying from a independent shop or private owner so long as there's paperwork indicating maintenance has been performed. If I were buying used I would look for the newest bike with the lowest mileage my budget could afford.

·
Registered
2021 K1600B Kalamatta
364 Posts
I would try to find what you are looking for in the private sector save some cash and depending on the year it could have some of the factory warranty still left which would allow you to purchase and extended warranty as well...

JJ

·
Registered
2016 GSA; looking for a K16 sibling
9 Posts
I too am looking into a used K1600. I’m noticing the talk about extended warranties. How important on these bikes. If they are well maintained, do they break a) frequently, and/or b) expensively? What to look for with > 50k miles?

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
I too am looking into a used K1600. I’m noticing the talk about extended warranties. How important on these bikes. If they are well maintained, do they break a) frequently, and/or b) expensively? What to look for with > 50k miles?
I bought a 3 year extended warranty for my first K1600 and recouped the price and then some on warranty work that needed done. I then bought the same 3 year extended warranty on my second K1600 and 2 1/2 years into it I haven't had one issue to use it. With that said it's a crap shoot.

I think getting the bike with the color and model of your choice, great condition and less than 20,000 miles for a decent price is more important than a year or two difference in age of the bikes. My .02

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don’t see it possible buying one for 15,000 especially from a dealer. My buddy just picked one up a 2019 1000 miles on it for 20 out the door it was on consignment. The wife is going to want something behind her I’m sure at least a back rest if not a touring pack. I put the touring packs on A couple of bikes when the wife goes she’s much more comfortable with that and they can haul our stuff. Mine was a grand American but I did a lot of work to it to make it removable so I can go back-and-forth from a B to a GA. My buddies is the dark blue one

Attachments

·
International Man of Mystery
3,947 Posts
It is all about your risk appetite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone

I’m finally accepting that my Ducati 1200S Multistrada is too tall for relaxed pillion use, and yesterday took a K1600B out for a test ride with Mrs Deaks riding pillion.

we both loved it, not to tall to get on and off, super comfy (apart from a bit of head turbulence), steers nice and goes like stink when asked.

So now I’m on the look out for a nice used model. Which leaves me with a few questions…….

Ideally, I don’t want to spend more than 15k, should I buy from a BMW dealers ‘approved’ stock.
That come with 2 years warranty and roadside assistance, but are either more expensive or have more miles than a similar bike from an independent dealer (normally with 3 months maximum warranty)?
Is a 2017 model with low miles (5k max) a more sensible buy than a 2019 model with 15k miles (both with service history)?
I’m wanting the LE model preferably in Black, one already fitted with a backrest and rack would be nice.
Is there anything in particular that I should look out for when viewing?
All advice gratefully received

TIA

I recommend Cycletrader.com. I sold and bought motorcycles through that site. It just connects you with sellers, individuals or private.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I wouldn't take the service history as proof the bike doesn't have potentially expensive issues. For instance, excessive oil consumption probably won't be noted unless the previous owner made it a big issue to be documented. Ideally, buying a bike with at least 6 months factory warranty remaining is the way to go. You want time to flush out problems yourself. If you do buy an older bike without warranty, make sure you keep a few thousand in reserve. All repairs will be out of your pocket.

It is all about your risk appetite.
In the nutshell. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone

I’m most likely going to buy (subject to viewing), a 2017 model with just under 14k miles tomorrow.
It has full BMW service history, it’s from a BMW Mottorrad dealer, and it’s a BMW approved used bike, so comes with a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty and 24 month roadside assist. The warranty is provided by BMW so if I have any issues I can go to any BMW dealer and not the one that’s nearly 200 miles away.

Fingers crossed, the bike is as good as it looks in photos and videos I have been sent by the dealer.

Deaks :cool:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bought a 2015 GTL in 2019 from a private seller(all the bells and whistles available for the GTL). I did a pretty thorough inspection and test ride. It had 9,000 miles and now has over 20,000. No problems and well under $15,000 US. I have bought several BMW models pre-owned(I just like the suspension they have). While I know that there is a risk, overall they are well built. The forum has many bad scenarios being reported on both new and used machines. I feel that there are many more who we haven’t heard much from because they aren’t having major issues. Just my 2cents. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
214 Posts
just a note regarding bmw,s customer service {uk}
purchased my k,just over 2 years now ive had problems i wont even go into them,
just a heads up to the GARMIN VI i purchased with the bike ,{ghosting its called in the uk}
my dealer in the uk Cheltenham motorad said because its just out of warrantee they cannot do nothing to help me,
please note they had the bike for 3 months,also not being used during lockdown etc just done 7k.
garmin said they will exchange it for a reconditioned one with a warrantee for 3 months plus £144 .
lots and lots of problems with this sat nav known to every dealer ,but no help ?
garmin never again bmw never again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, after a long drive through high winds and snow, we finally got to Williams Motorrad in Manchester.
I’m pleased to say, the bike is indeed as good as I hoped for and the deal was done.

A change of plan was needed regarding riding it home to Bristol, due to the horrid weather.
Not so much the temperature, more the multitude of gritting lorries throwing that awful acidic chemical road ‘salt’ everywhere. It is proven to eat bikes alive in seconds!!

Delivery was arranged whilst at the dealers and ‘Luther’ as it shall be named will be with us mid next week.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

I can’t wait for this German beast to be in my garage!!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I’ve never heard the term “BMW Approved”. What does that mean? I know what Certified means but have never heard it applied to motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I’ve never heard the term “BMW Approved”. What does that mean? I know what Certified means but have never heard it applied to motorcycles.
This is the 'Approved Used' scheme in the UK............ Used motorcycles

The attractive element is the 2 year warranty, but we all know to expect a modest price premium for the privilege. It's designed to give BMW Motorrad dealers an edge & it works.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
This is the 'Approved Used' scheme in the UK............ Used motorcycles

The attractive element is the 2 year warranty, but we all know to expect a modest price premium for the privilege. It's designed to give BMW Motorrad dealers an edge & it works.
I looked it up. It is the same as “Certified”. Thanks for your response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts