BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
The GTL can comfortably ride a 1,000 mile day, with a passenger no less (ask me how I know 馃ス). But it has a sport attitude to it that doesn鈥檛 exist in the HD world. The GTL is not a rolling couch, so if that鈥檚 what you want to continue with, you鈥檙e probably looking at the wrong bike.

Registered
Hello Scout20206, if you like your Harley and want to keep it and havn't ridena K1600, don't. Although the Ultra is a way more comfortable ride the power and handling of the Kbike will suck you in. In my opinion the only other thing HD has over it is looks and sound.
P.S. since you are a Harley guy the K1600 Grand America might be a better fit.

Registered
Traded my 2015 CVO RGU for a 1600 GTL in April of this year. The RGU was getting to be difficult for me to move around in the garage. Can't speak to passenger comfort. Will say the RGU had better wind protection (the lowers kept the rain and wind off the legs) and had better grip warmers.

That being said, I love the GTL. Engine and handling are phenomenal. It's about 150 lbs. lighter than the RGU, much easier to maneuver in garage/parking lots. And it has a reverse. Took a four day trip on the GTL out to Idaho and Montana. No complaints about comfort. I did swap out the stock seat for a Corbin. Ride one and you will be sold.

Registered
Can鈥檛 beat the Harley in comfort especially for the passenger鈥. My wife鈥檚 favorite bike. Yes better performance on the K bikes. If affordable keep it and buy a Second bike. Can鈥檛 beat the camaraderie or dealer support of an HD !

Attachments

Registered
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

I have both and will keep both, The only thing I don't like about the BMW is the stability on the freeway with strong winds because of it being lighter than the Harley. The performance will have you grinning from ear to ear. The brakes are simply amazing compared to the Harley & the suspension is FAR superior to Harleys. (Just my .02)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 172349 View attachment 172350

I have both and will keep both, The only thing I don't like about the BMW is the stability on the freeway with strong winds because of it being lighter than the Harley. The performance will have you grinning from ear to ear. The brakes are simply amazing compared to the Harley & the suspension is FAR superior to Harleys. (Just my .02)
Thanks for your feedback. Definately love the Harley too..So passenger ride quality long distance is better than the Harley.. I like the k1600 and am sold on it but just looking to see what passengers thoughts are. I know on the Harley I had to install some expensive shocks to make 2 up riding better.. just trying to get an idea if the passenger seating is comfortable for long distances.

Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
Do it; Do it now! 馃檪

Had a 13 Limited and bought a '12 GT last year in May and put 20k miles on it the first year. After my wife rode the BMW she wanted nothing to do with the FLHTK. It had aftermarket suspension, seat, and other comfort goodies. Sold it right away! I bought the 12 to test the waters before buying a new one. I will probably keep this one a couple more years. It's been beyond great!

Bubonic
In my experiences from Harley to Beemer - for touring - they are not comparable. The BMW does everything better. You will not regret it.; especially for passenger comfort.

Just a humble man's opinion.

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
The best thing to do is take your wife for a demo ride on the BMW of your choice. She will sit higher and be in the wind more with some head buffeting, until you find the right windshield and keep it raised. If she likes a sportier ride and getting into the curves and such she may like the BMW better. If she likes to sit back and relax in the comfort of the wrap around passenger seat on a Harley well then you may have some convincing to do.

An economical option, if she really prefers the Harley, might be to keep yours and pick up a used K1600 for your sporty rides. I'm positive you can find a good one for the same dollars as what you will loose in a Harley to a BMW trade in. Win win.

Registered
2022 K1600B Grand America Option 719 Meteoric Dust
Agree on this.
Before deciding, plan on upgrading the seat! Stock just doesn't cut it for long distance riding.
I didn't come from Harley but from an older Yamaha Royal Star Venture that I absolutely loved, but this K bike is in a whole different league performance wise and is the 'best of both worlds' for always-on sportiness with. all the touring features one could want, imho.

Premium Member
2022 K1600GTL
2022 MI/KM:
11500 or more
As one who just traded a 2019 Road Glide Ultra for the GTL, I'll agree they are completely different platforms.

For gobbling long stretches of straight road, the RGU likely has the edge in pure comfort. It may even have a slight edge in "infotainment" options such as its ability to link to Apple Car Play and its built-in GPS nav system. With upgrades such as Rockford Fosgate amps and speakers, the sound from the speaker is far superior (but I use the bluetooth headset and prefer that as my wife doesn't appreciate the metal which is my main playlist lol).

That said, after a week and 1200+ miles, with one 370+ mile day in the twisties of VA and West Virginia, I am incredibly happy with my decision. There is about 200 lbs difference between the platforms, but the handling and performance are incomparable. At @ 30 degrees lean on the RGU, you start dragging hard parts/floorboards in the corners. The onboard Connected app showed me 45 degree lean angles, and far greater acceleration, even though my RGU had a cam upgrade, all the Stage II stuff, and dyno tune (there are still @ 40 more HP to the wheel on the K1600).

The stock seat (all stock seats I've ever ridden) leaves much to be desired on the GTL, but so did the RGU seat. On the RGU we had a Mustang wide touring seat which was fine for two trips to California and a trip to Maine. I'll look to see what is best for me on the TL as well.

I still have two Harleys, so haven't exited the "culture" per se, but that crowd and the shenanigans were for a younger me.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in. None can know what you love about either bike, but this is my story. Best of luck in your choice.

Registered
The BMW is lighter, faster and far nimbler in corners. The Harley (IMHO) is more comfortable on the interstate and can carry more stuff on long trips. However, on bad pavement the Harley will beat you up, the BWM has much better suspension. As I've gotten older, I really grew tired of the Harley beating me up on what passes for pavement in parts of this country. The BMW rides much better. The sound system on the Harley is vastly superior to the one on the BMW, but I've switched over to Bluetooth headsets, so that no longer matters as much to me. The Harley dealer network is vast, the BMW dealer network is tiny by comparison. If you like to charge hard and fast, the BMW is the bike to do it on. If your riding style is more laid back, the 1600 might be overkill. Oh, and this one might be important to long distanced riders...the K1600 eats tires like candy. I suspect the rear tire ratio between the BMW and the Harley is about three to one!

Mr.Fix It
May be true for some... I came from being a die hart Harley/custom V-twin owner to the K1600GT. If you gave me a K bagger I'd immediately list it on Craigslist.. :)

Duane

• Haha
Reactions: josephdfrick

Registered
My wife prefers the comfort of the Harley over the K1600. Less buffeting, more comfortable seat and bigger passenger pegs. The K1600GTL is definitely faster with better cornering. But that cornering comes at the cost of low speed stability and higher center of gravity. Not the mention it eats tires. The K1600GTL is the cooler bike to ride in the summer. I have never had any over heating issues mentioned in other posts. Even with cylinder deactivation and heat deflectors the Harley is still a HOT bike in the summer.

The bags are very different as well. The clam shell of GTL is nice on long trips if using BMW pannier bags. Easier to take in to hotel and reload bike. The top opening Harley bags are nicer for day riding and fishing things out without having to dismount bike.

Suspension wise the BMW has the advantage of being electronically adjustable. Two up with bags on interstate. No problem, ESA set to passenger and comfort setting. Then you arrive at location and want to do solo spirited riding. Switch to solo with sport and off you go. No removing bags to set preload.

Navigation wise both bikes can be extremely frustrating to deal with. Just use a good phone app. Navigation units on both bikes best for just showing next curves ahead. No experience with new BMW navigation system. Hope it is better. BMW nav 5 nearly got thrown off the side of several mountains due to frustration. Base camp and curvy road settings of unit can cause electronically aided unexpected detours.

As far as heating seats and grips go the Harley is far easier to turn on and off. Knobs and buttons just plain easier. The BMW has more adjustment range once you can find in menu. Be patient or you will pass what you wanted and have to cycle through menu again.

Shifting wise these two are daylight and dark different. The beamer loves to be ridden in anger. The Harley loves to ridden in a relaxed pace.

Overall my mood and location make a huge difference on my feelings about both machines. And can you really have too many bikes? Ideally own both and a sport bike and a dual sports and a dirt bike and a.........

1 - 20 of 75 Posts