BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
The GTL can comfortably ride a 1,000 mile day, with a passenger no less (ask me how I know 馃ス). But it has a sport attitude to it that doesn鈥檛 exist in the HD world. The GTL is not a rolling couch, so if that鈥檚 what you want to continue with, you鈥檙e probably looking at the wrong bike.

Registered
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
As @Arizona Jim correctly pointed out, the passenger sits higher on a K16 than on the HD. In the K16 family, the GA passenger sits a little lower than the GTL, but still higher than the HD.

We can talk all day about all the reasons a K16 is a much more fun ride. But only you can answer if higher passenger seating is acceptable for your situation.

Registered
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I don't have my HD now, went to a Goldwing, which is quite more capable in the curves than looks may suggest.
Then, recently, purchased a 2016 GTL.
TOTALLY different beast.
Even though both fall into the "Sport Touring" class, the Wing (like your HD) would be a "sport TOURING" bike, where the GTL is "SPORT touring".
I just recently did a 2500 miles TN tour on the GTL - loved it in the curves, but for comfort on a long ride I would prefer the Wing.
I agree, you need to test ride the GTL.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
I like your distinction of big bike sport TOURING vs SPORT touring. The whole generic term of "Sport Touring" is overused across too many bikes, so the label mostly loses it's meaning. In terms of the K1600 and GW, I think it's fair to say K1600 = SPORT Touring, and GW = sport TOURING. There are many challenging roads (throughout the US) that will make that distinction clear. But assigning SPORT to any HD touring bike is a reach at best. The big HDs are the ultimate definition of pure touring that is out there.

I'd like to understand where you felt the GTL was lacking on the long ride. Is your bike completely stock, or does it at least have upgrades to the seat and windshield?

Registered
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
You're right on. Wait until the newbees have to spend $1000+. for a custom seat, Russel Day Long. And when they get the cramps riding jockey style. When they grow up, they'll realize that riding around with your hair on fire is old hat, been there done that. It's not the destination, it's the journey. Besides, wait till they're ready to ride without a full size helmet and want to smell the fresh air on the way, they'll find out that the sounds eminating from the K isn't fitting a motorcycle, more like a Waring blender.
Your exaggerations and generalizations never cease to amaze me. But it does make for temporary amusement -- at least sometimes. :unsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts