BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
As @Arizona Jim correctly pointed out, the passenger sits higher on a K16 than on the HD. In the K16 family, the GA passenger sits a little lower than the GTL, but still higher than the HD.

We can talk all day about all the reasons a K16 is a much more fun ride. But only you can answer if higher passenger seating is acceptable for your situation.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Of course not, it too would go on Craigslist. :)

Duane
and of course some of us bought a b sold it and ended up with GT. Try them all folks make sure it's really what you want. Once you go white and blue the black and orange fades away. Your riding style and type of riding you do on a daily basis may also change. Don't just be sucked in to that dangling carrot of a B or GA they did it to you on purpose lol.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Looking to see if any Harley riders had regrets from going to 2023 k1600 GTL from ultra limited.. looking possibly to trade in 2020 ultra but really need to know how comfort is in general and also for passenger for general riding and long haul riding.. View attachment 172341
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Love the ray gun mounted on the front faring - should sell quickly!

• Haha
Reactions: josephdfrick

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Haha... It's a fricken Lazer!!!
Whaaat? First, it was "Sharks with frickin' laser beams" and now Harleys! When I pass them from now on, I'm gonna cut 'em a wide berth!!!

• Haha
Reactions: josephdfrick

·
Registered
742 Posts
While the K1600 is way faster handles and brakes better it's not as comfortable as your Ultra.
The riding position is a bit harder on old knees. Your passenger might not like sitting high looking over your helmet and getting blasted in the airstream.

The Radio on the K1600 is not as good as the Ultra.
Heated seat and heated grips are great on the K1600 as is the electrically adjustable windshield.

Since I own them both thought this might help

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
@Scout20206 , previous comments WRT pillion sitting up higher than rider are mainly for the GTL. The GT passenger seating is lower. My wife looks to either side of my helmet. Yes, she is slightly higher than me and no where near the height of the GTL. I use a Wunerlich windscreen. Above 60-65 mph wind noice bothers her more than the actual wind. Raising the windscreen slightly reduces that noise and all is well. I do not raise the windscreen all the way up; I always look over the top of the windscreen.

WRT to knee bending, yes, your knees are slightly more bent on the GT. I've only ridden a GTL a few times and much prefer the riding position of the GT. With handlebar risers installed I much prefer the comfort of the GT. I know many "older" riders have knee issues; myself included. I'm 67, fairly big guy (6'1", 250 lbs, 32" inseam), have had 7 surgeries, 1 knee replacement, 2 plates in the other knee, etc; yet I have no problem riding very long days. In 10 years I'm over 101,000 miles on my '12 GT and still enjoy every minute.

My suggestion is to test ride them all (GTL/GTLE/GT/and B) with your pillion onboard. I'm betting one of them will be satisfying to both you and your pillion.

Duane

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4351 mi
I don't have my HD now, went to a Goldwing, which is quite more capable in the curves than looks may suggest.
Then, recently, purchased a 2016 GTL.
TOTALLY different beast.
Even though both fall into the "Sport Touring" class, the Wing (like your HD) would be a "sport TOURING" bike, where the GTL is "SPORT touring".
I just recently did a 2500 miles TN tour on the GTL - loved it in the curves, but for comfort on a long ride I would prefer the Wing.
I agree, you need to test ride the GTL.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I don't have my HD now, went to a Goldwing, which is quite more capable in the curves than looks may suggest.
Then, recently, purchased a 2016 GTL.
TOTALLY different beast.
Even though both fall into the "Sport Touring" class, the Wing (like your HD) would be a "sport TOURING" bike, where the GTL is "SPORT touring".
I just recently did a 2500 miles TN tour on the GTL - loved it in the curves, but for comfort on a long ride I would prefer the Wing.
I agree, you need to test ride the GTL.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
I like your distinction of big bike sport TOURING vs SPORT touring. The whole generic term of "Sport Touring" is overused across too many bikes, so the label mostly loses it's meaning. In terms of the K1600 and GW, I think it's fair to say K1600 = SPORT Touring, and GW = sport TOURING. There are many challenging roads (throughout the US) that will make that distinction clear. But assigning SPORT to any HD touring bike is a reach at best. The big HDs are the ultimate definition of pure touring that is out there.

I'd like to understand where you felt the GTL was lacking on the long ride. Is your bike completely stock, or does it at least have upgrades to the seat and windshield?

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
More than a few here claiming the HD is more comfortable. I respectfully disagree unless you have spent a boatload on aftermarket suspension. Of all the Harley’s I have owned the only one that was passable for suspension was my V-Rod. With all the rest I went way out of my way to avoid RR crossings etc. I have never avoided rough roadways on any BMW, K bike included.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4351 mi
I like your distinction of big bike sport TOURING vs SPORT touring. The whole generic term of "Sport Touring" is overused across too many bikes, so the label mostly loses it's meaning. In terms of the K1600 and GW, I think it's fair to say K1600 = SPORT Touring, and GW = sport TOURING. There are many challenging roads (throughout the US) that will make that distinction clear. But assigning SPORT to any HD touring bike is a reach at best. The big HDs are the ultimate definition of pure touring that is out there.

I'd like to understand where you felt the GTL was lacking on the long ride. Is your bike completely stock, or does it at least have upgrades to the seat and windshield?
I agree that HD is Touring, not really Sport Touring.
Again, this is just my opinion... On my trip I had a Sargent seat and stock windscreen.
The seat is quite hard yet a 700 miles day was fine. You get tired either way, but my butt was not complaining.
I'd say that the screen was the biggest issue.
After the trip I replaced stock with CalSci, but did not take any extended trips with it.
Still, the comfort of MY Wing (which has an upgraded seat, Traxxion suspension and screen) is just there.
I guess if you switch to the GTL after a sport bike or some other smaller bike - GTL is great luxury.
But once you are spoiled by the comfort of the big touring bikes on long rides....
That's why I kept my Wing.
These bikes fill their own niche in my heart :) if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. Definately love the Harley too..So passenger ride quality long distance is better than the Harley.. I like the k1600 and am sold on it but just looking to see what passengers thoughts are. I know on the Harley I had to install some expensive shocks to make 2 up riding better.. just trying to get an idea if the passenger seating is comfortable for long distances.
My girl loves the BMW over the Harley for long distance riding. (smoother ride) Obviously I added the Harley Tour pack to my B. So that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife prefers the comfort of the Harley over the K1600. Less buffeting, more comfortable seat and bigger passenger pegs. The K1600GTL is definitely faster with better cornering. But that cornering comes at the cost of low speed stability and higher center of gravity. Not the mention it eats tires. The K1600GTL is the cooler bike to ride in the summer. I have never had any over heating issues mentioned in other posts. Even with cylinder deactivation and heat deflectors the Harley is still a HOT bike in the summer.

The bags are very different as well. The clam shell of GTL is nice on long trips if using BMW pannier bags. Easier to take in to hotel and reload bike. The top opening Harley bags are nicer for day riding and fishing things out without having to dismount bike.

Suspension wise the BMW has the advantage of being electronically adjustable. Two up with bags on interstate. No problem, ESA set to passenger and comfort setting. Then you arrive at location and want to do solo spirited riding. Switch to solo with sport and off you go. No removing bags to set preload.

Navigation wise both bikes can be extremely frustrating to deal with. Just use a good phone app. Navigation units on both bikes best for just showing next curves ahead. No experience with new BMW navigation system. Hope it is better. BMW nav 5 nearly got thrown off the side of several mountains due to frustration. Base camp and curvy road settings of unit can cause electronically aided unexpected detours.

As far as heating seats and grips go the Harley is far easier to turn on and off. Knobs and buttons just plain easier. The BMW has more adjustment range once you can find in menu. Be patient or you will pass what you wanted and have to cycle through menu again.

Shifting wise these two are daylight and dark different. The beamer loves to be ridden in anger. The Harley loves to ridden in a relaxed pace.

Overall my mood and location make a huge difference on my feelings about both machines. And can you really have too many bikes? Ideally own both and a sport bike and a dual sports and a dirt bike and a.........
Looking to see if any Harley riders had regrets from going to 2023 k1600 GTL from ultra limited.. looking possibly to trade in 2020 ultra but really need to know how comfort is in general and also for passenger for general riding and long haul riding.. View attachment 172341
I have a 2022 K1600B and would consider an even trade. Where are you located?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I may have replied to someone else on here incorrectly. I have a 2022 K1600B and I'd consider an even trade. Where are you located???

·
Registered
70 Posts
In the last 3 years I have owned a GA, FLHXSE, and R1250 GSA. To me, the GA was far superior in the handling and power department. Also much better for longer rides. The HD suspension is atrocious, not sure how it gets good reviews -- must be from people who never hit a bumpy road or pot hole.

The HD looks good and has far superior navigation and sound system. Not sure why BMW doesn't just amp the front speakers and throw in some android auto or apple car play. If BMW improved the entertainment system it would be the best touring bike on the planet. My wife also prefers the passenger seat on the GA over the CVO.
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Outerwear

21 - 40 of 75 Posts