BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking to see if any Harley riders had regrets from going to 2023 k1600 GTL from ultra limited.. looking possibly to trade in 2020 ultra but really need to know how comfort is in general and also for passenger for general riding and long haul riding.. View attachment 172341
A BMW is not a good fit if:

1. You are stuck on aesthetics. HD bikes can look great. Tons of customizations.
2. You own a ton of HD apparel and afraid to wear it if you own a BMW. BMW people don't care.
3. All of your friends have HD. They will tease you relentlessly, secretly wanting one, but they are probably too short to hold up the taller bike.
4. You like putting expensive attachments on your bike. With a BMW the only add on is a cup holder. maybe some extra bags.
5. You have HD tattoos. It's like tattooing your girlfriends name on your arm, but breakup a year later. A BMW cover up tattoo with flames just does not work well.
6. You like the smell of rich burning exhaust systems that are loud. The BMW sounds like a turbo jet, not a 1972 VW with a bad muffler. Good CATS and tuning keeps the exhaust smell down.
7. Feeling like you had a good workout at the gym after a 200 mile ride. On a BMW, we are still riding after 200 miles.
8. Like to ride as a minimalist. No helmet, knuckle gloves, T-shirt, vest and jeans. BMW riders generally ride with good helmets, protective jackets and gloves and good footwear designed for riding and protection.

All the above is said with humor. I had HDs'. Good durable bike, just a completely different ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Traded my 2015 CVO RGU for a 1600 GTL in April of this year. The RGU was getting to be difficult for me to move around in the garage. Can't speak to passenger comfort. Will say the RGU had better wind protection (the lowers kept the rain and wind off the legs) and had better grip warmers.

That being said, I love the GTL. Engine and handling are phenomenal. It's about 150 lbs. lighter than the RGU, much easier to maneuver in garage/parking lots. And it has a reverse. Took a four day trip on the GTL out to Idaho and Montana. No complaints about comfort. I did swap out the stock seat for a Corbin. Ride one and you will be sold.
That is such an "Apples & Oranges" comparison. Closest I got was to (once) buy a Harley Dyna Wide Glide. Elements on the bike were okay, I "had to" put an HD fork brace on it because you can actually see the forks flex when you sit on the bike and put on the brakes sitting still. I hated the apes so put the original bars back on, bought the quick detachable HD windscreen for longer rides. Bike was carbureted but was not a concern, it had the obligatory loud pipes and ran okay.

The Beemers are "another world." Mostly they have been known for the past thirty years as quite solid, good handling, needing only minor suspension tweaks to firm things up. They are not laid-back cruisers though, they "want to be" on the road at speed, the suspension matches the handling compared to an H-D. So is the ground clearance - same as scraping the forward pegs on the Wide Glide. Pays your money and takes your choice.

I think the BMW is an increasingly advanced bike, with potential share of complexity and reliability issues. When my stock sealed battery started to die, I watched the speedo drop to zero while I was riding, and it became harder to start. Replaced with Yuasa sealed unit (required filling with the acid, supplied), and everything was back to normal.

No BMW will have a good sound system stock, at least as much as I am aware of, the speakers are small and volume on the road is comparatively low; I'm sure either newer ones or aftermarket speakers and amp could help, but there's not much room on the dash to fit large speakers. Only decent at all at lower speeds without earplugs. Not going to get much of my KUSC classical station on them.

My 2014 has what may be the last of key ignition too...still requires a push button to start like any bike does these days, and I think they have entirely gone to fobs in your pocket that the bike senses you can start by proximity. I'd just as soon use a key...sorry.

Essentially any Beemer will be sportier handling, more cornering clearance - no hard parts scraping. Downside is that electronic or physical repairs are spendy. These days, I guess they all are as values are down for all bikes.

It truly depends what kind of riding you like to do, how long do you comfortably sit on it, how much wind buffeting can you endure. The K1600GT is a lovely bike but a fair bit sportier than a large low H-D cruiser. What do you like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The GTL can comfortably ride a 1,000 mile day, with a passenger no less (ask me how I know 🥹). But it has a sport attitude to it that doesn’t exist in the HD world. The GTL is not a rolling couch, so if that’s what you want to continue with, you’re probably looking at the wrong bike.
i had a 2019 Grand America. you Cannot compare to my 18 HD road glide special. However, my alarm went bad and had to wait one month for bmw ro get a new alarm from Germany and replace. Service for bmw is NY is horrible. As such, I would not recommend. There are a bunch of HF repair centers all over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A BMW is not a good fit if:

1. You are stuck on aesthetics. HD bikes can look great. Tons of customizations.
2. You own a ton of HD apparel and afraid to wear it if you own a BMW. BMW people don't care.
3. All of your friends have HD. They will tease you relentlessly, secretly wanting one, but they are probably too short to hold up the taller bike.
4. You like putting expensive attachments on your bike. With a BMW the only add on is a cup holder. maybe some extra bags.
5. You have HD tattoos. It's like tattooing your girlfriends name on your arm, but breakup a year later. A BMW cover up tattoo with flames just does not work well.
6. You like the smell of rich burning exhaust systems that are loud. The BMW sounds like a turbo jet, not a 1972 VW with a bad muffler. Good CATS and tuning keeps the exhaust smell down.
7. Feeling like you had a good workout at the gym after a 200 mile ride. On a BMW, we are still riding after 200 miles.
8. Like to ride as a minimalist. No helmet, knuckle gloves, T-shirt, vest and jeans. BMW riders generally ride with good helmets, protective jackets and gloves and good footwear designed for riding and protection.

All the above is said with humor. I had HDs'. Good durable bike, just a completely different ride.
Great comment brother. On the money

·
Registered
2012 K 1600 GTL
32 Posts
Looking to see if any Harley riders had regrets from going to 2023 k1600 GTL from ultra limited.. looking possibly to trade in 2020 ultra but really need to know how comfort is in general and also for passenger for general riding and long haul riding.. View attachment 172341
the two up position in the GTL is very windy - I don't like looking thru a windscreen , but at speed I have to raise my windscreen all the way up for the comfort of the rider . The rear seat position on the Harley is lower and offers more protection from buffeting , I find the GTL is not a nimble at low speeds due to the Harleys Flywheel confuguration - Its not a bad thing , it just took some time ot get used to it . I ride Tank to tank on the GTL - a little over 250 miles - On the HD 150 & take a break - Longer days on the HD are more tiring than the GTL - I didn't look back when I switched from the Hd

·
Registered
805 Posts
It all hinges on one thing, what kind of rider are you? The one who daftly dodges speeding tickets? The one who does 0-60 in 3 secs....1, 2, 3? The rider who likes to push DOT roads above their designed limits? Then the K1600 is for you. Or, are you a Harley guy, meaning laid back, nothing to prove, riding to the restaurant, prefer enjoying the scenery and not into dodging speeding tickets? Are you into socializing with a wide spectrum of like minded folks with Mid-Western values? Then there is no alternative to a Harley. I owned them both, and I rode my Electra Glide just as fast as my K1600....in the USA. The K1600 was designed for the autobahn, which was designed for unlimited speed riding, and there I would not ride a HD, too much wind buffeting and the HD is not designed to cover long distances above 100mph, neither does it accelerate as fast from 100 to 160mph, or brake fast from 160mph to -60 mph, which you need to do on the autobahn quick. You are not missing much riding the HD in the US, but you gain a lot, of comfort and customizing options, and social company of like minded folks many of which are just good company and entertaining. At bike meets, the HD is a lot more solid on grass parking lots and slow speed, the K1600 is top heavy beast and brakes too sharp the pre 2017 with a jumpy throttle and just doesn't have the ease of the Harley. The balance on the Harley is perfect, on the K1600 you need power to the wheel at very slow speed or the dang thing falls over sideways, and the kick stand on bumpy cow pastures requires close attention on the K1600. The K1600 just isn't a good fit for US conditions. There are a lot of K1600 with very low miles for sale in the US. What does that tell you about a touring bike?
I also rented a Goldwing DCT in Maryland for two days, and thought that it was perfect for DOT roads, but I need to stretch my legs with forward foot controls (which the Grand America doesn't have), and here the HD wins again.

My wife loved the pillion of the Electra Glide. She wont get on the K1600GT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You’ll regret it. Coming from a dresser you’ll never get used to the rider’s posture on the BMW. Sits too high. The GA is very unstable. Service is very expensive even when compared to Harley service. Very limited to service as well as there are very few dealerships. Re-sale sucks big time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Jackpot07
I have 2020 cvo ultra with 131 I have k1600b and have had several Indians. Love them all but I am trading the k1600b for the Indian challanger! It’s like Bmw and Harley had a kid and it’s the challanger or the pursuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Switched from '19 Road Glide Special. Two different worlds. I love my GTL. The tech beats the HD and costs less. Love the power locking bags, power windshield, heated grips and seat, ride modes, etc. The power is smooth and quick. I'm never going back again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You’ll regret it. Coming from a dresser you’ll never get used to the rider’s posture on the BMW. Sits too high. The GA is very unstable. Service is very expensive even when compared to Harley service. Very limited to service as well as there are very few dealerships. Re-sale sucks big time.
Disagree. You adapt to the rider position. Highway pegs are a must. Service is expensive, but so is Harley. The BMW warrant is better. Agree on the dealer network. Another reason I switched is because the Harley culture sucks. Tired of the drink and ride, chain-smoking hillbillies.

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Strongly disagree.
Sorry. Did I say “strongly”? I meant “STRONGLY”.

·
Registered
805 Posts
What did I say that wasn’t true?
You're right on. Wait until the newbees have to spend $1000+. for a custom seat, Russel Day Long. And when they get the cramps riding jockey style. When they grow up, they'll realize that riding around with your hair on fire is old hat, been there done that. It's not the destination, it's the journey. Besides, wait till they're ready to ride without a full size helmet and want to smell the fresh air on the way, they'll find out that the sounds eminating from the K isn't fitting a motorcycle, more like a Waring blender.

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
What did I say that wasn’t true?
1 - Riding posture. I'm 6'1" and my posture on the GA is just as comfortable as it was on my Street Glide Special. Furthermore, since the GA actually has a suspension I can ride some distance which was definitely NOT tolerable on that HD.
2 - GA is not very unstable. It is twitchy to be sure in dirty air. But only in dirty air. This is very manageable. OTOH the GA is quite nimble, which a 1,000 lb+ HD is most definitely not.
3 - Service is slightly more than for HD perhaps depending on location. But if four recommended services in 18k miles is going to be enough to break the bank then yeah, a $30k bike is not for you.
4 - Dealership count - while true that HD has many more dealerships vs BMW one might be tempted to ask why. Who is supporting all that infrastructure and why is it required? Do you see any tales of woe from BMW owners who have been stranded by their bikes? I've had four of each brand and been stranded by neither one. I've had dealerships of both flavors fold up their tents and go away permanently. I would call this a draw if anything.

At the end of the day, at least for me, while having owned both a BMW and HD simultaneously if was going to ride to a bar/restaurant for a little evening jaunt I would take the HD. If OTOH I was actually going to go someplace, no consideration was given to anything but the Beemer. That would still hold true today if I ever laid my hands on another Harley, which is most unlikely. (Indian - all bets are off)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
You're right on. Wait until the newbees have to spend $1000+. for a custom seat, Russel Day Long. And when they get the cramps riding jockey style. When they grow up, they'll realize that riding around with your hair on fire is old hat, been there done that. It's not the destination, it's the journey. Besides, wait till they're ready to ride without a full size helmet and want to smell the fresh air on the way, they'll find out that the sounds eminating from the K isn't fitting a motorcycle, more like a Waring blender.
Your exaggerations and generalizations never cease to amaze me. But it does make for temporary amusement -- at least sometimes. :unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
K bikes give you options: either relaxed cruising in “cruise” suspension setting and “road” or “rain” throttle mapping or very spirited riding in “dynamic” mapping and “road” suspension setup, going up and down your gears with super quick, clutchless shift assist. Basically, you can go on a cruise with Harley riders or “almost” compete with sports bikes. Choice is yours! K1600 GA is super comfy for the passenger.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I like em both, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the horrendous weight and pricing on new Harleys drove me away. Otherwise, I'd still have one in my garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had 2 Limited’s. It’s like going from a truck to a Porsche. The in-line 6 is an incredible engine. It’s a very comfortable ride. Try the bike first. Other things to consider are the riding groups.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts