BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Your Harley will always be more comfortable than a BMW K1600GTL. The BMW will always perform better in terms of acceleration braking and handling.

That's the trade off.

I have a K1600GT (not GTL) and a Road Glide Limited and I've been able to make extensive comparisons. The BMW is a lot of fun on twisty mountain roads. The Harley is my go-to bike for long distance touring. Yes, I've ridden my Harley on twisty mountain roads and I've done long distance touring on my BMW. They both work but they're more optimized for their specific duties.

Nowadays I use my Harley for sunny warm long distance trips and touring around town on beautiful days. It's a great looking bike exuding in style. My BMW has become my combat touring bike, battling the worst elements mother nature can throw at it. I love my BMW but not the same way I love my Harley. I love that I can take the BMW out in really bad weather and not worry about rock chips or road gravel in my engine cooling fins etc. I love the way my Harley rides, the style that goes along with it and the overall "riding experience" which is unlike any other.

It's helpful to think about the riding you do the most. On a typical long distance trip I might spend an hour on twisty mountain roads but I'll spend 8 hours on straight highways where comfort is more important to me. Under those conditions it makes more sense to sacrifice the handling of the BMW for the comfort of the Harley. On shorter more spirited rides with friends I appreciate the BMW, on it I can keep up with just about any street bike. I'm also grateful in the BMW to have a motorcycle I can take out in stormy conditions (I live in the Seattle area so that is often). The BMW has better all-weather rider protection and again I don't worry about messing up the finish.

That's my take. I hope it helps you in your journey.

· Registered
1 Posts
Looking to see if any Harley riders had regrets from going to 2023 k1600 GTL from ultra limited.. looking possibly to trade in 2020 ultra but really need to know how comfort is in general and also for passenger for general riding and long haul riding.. View attachment 172341
I have a 2016 SGS and a 2018 K1600B, so not an exact comparison, but close. Honestly, if I could only have one, it would be the BMW. I took it to Sturgis last year. I was as comfortable as a 1300 mile trip could be. The power and comfort of the bmw is just better. Only negative is it does feel lighter than the SGS, but that’s also me heavy on the throttle trying to make time.

· Registered
20 Posts
A few thoughts. I've ridden both and, in my case, at 6'3", 275 lbs and size 14 boot, the BMW is a very great machine but very uncomfortable for me. Those itsy bitsy pegs, the tiny shift and brake levers, my legs bent back behind my knees, etc. A friend of mine sold his Rocket III and bought a new GTL. He sold it after one year and bought the BMW grand America. He is much happier now. Did I mention I am fat, 75 years old and set in my ways? :)

· Registered
22 GA
435 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
A few thoughts. I've ridden both and, in my case, at 6'3", 275 lbs and size 14 boot, the BMW is a very great machine but very uncomfortable for me. Those itsy bitsy pegs, the tiny shift and brake levers, my legs bent back behind my knees, etc. A friend of mine sold his Rocket III and bought a new GTL. He sold it after one year and bought the BMW grand America. He is much happier now. Did I mention I am fat, 75 years old and set in my ways? :)
I could easily see that for a taller rider the K bike could start to feel a bit cramped. For me at 6'1" and about 190 lbs (not during the holidays) it is quite comfortable. I'm not sure my ankles are directly south of my knees but it must be very close. I find I can ride for quite a long time before changing position a little bit by using the forward footboards. I did install a set of bar backs that moved the bars about 1.75" closer to my shoulders and that was a big help. With those on though I am very comfortable in terms of ergos. But for a larger framed person that just might not work as you point out.

· Registered
20 Posts
I could easily see that for a taller rider the K bike could start to feel a bit cramped. For me at 6'1" and about 190 lbs (not during the holidays) it is quite comfortable. I'm not sure my ankles are directly south of my knees but it must be very close. I find I can ride for quite a long time before changing position a little bit by using the forward footboards. I did install a set of bar backs that moved the bars about 1.75" closer to my shoulders and that was a big help. With those on though I am very comfortable in terms of ergos. But for a larger framed person that just might not work as you point out.
Bless you, from now on I'm not fat, I am just, "...a larger framed person..."! :)

· Registered
20 Posts
Huh, can't be all that fat. My favorite college football team has multiple guys playing LB and FB at about your height and 20 lbs lighter. They don't look fat at all, just scary.
Well, they have muscles to squeeze their fat into an acceptable but scary appearance. No muscles to speak of around my belly so my fat oozes out into a spare tire appearance, but also scary. Kind of like the Michelin man. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
13 Posts
For the OP, coming from a HD Road Glide I have found it difficult to get comfortable on my 2016 K1600 GTL. It may be that age and size matters, turning 67 soon and at 6'1", 270#, size 14 boots and stiff from sitting all day at my work from home job. I've had bikes with floorboards since 1999 and I've found the BMW pegs and foot controls hard to get used to and I feel clumsy when coming to a stop or at low speeds. Never had that problem with other bikes with floorboards and considered myself a decent rider even took a few classes over the years. With less than 500 miles, I know that I need to ride my BMW more before considering peg lowering kits, aftermarket seats and whatever else to get the seat and feet ergonomics closer to the HD. All I know is this - I will not be going back to another Harley, even if I need to start yoga for better flexibility :D

· Mr.Fix It
9,835 Posts
With less than 500 miles, I know that I need to ride my BMW more before considering peg lowering kits, aftermarket seats and whatever else to get the seat and feet ergonomics closer to the HD. All I know is this - I will not be going back to another Harley, even if I need to start yoga for better flexibility :D
The last part of your post (above) says volumes. Ride it.... :)

Duane

· Registered
2021 K1600B
69 Posts
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Fuel tank

Picked this up today, so no expert by any stretch. My day 1 impression compared to my 15' HD Ultra Limited is just WOW! Completely different experience, the 1600B just feels so much more nimble, fast and light years ahead in technology (easy to do compared to a HD). I think it is very comfy. Rode the Ultra this evening, feels so much heavier and lithargic, but love it. Just two totally different experiences, both are great in there own special way.
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
2023 K1600B, 2020 Triumph Rocket 3R and 2008 HD Crossbones Springer.
26 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
2023 K1600B
I'm waiting for my Bagger to arrive so I can't compare to the Harleys I've had. The one I just traded was my least favourite tourer being a 2019 CVO Street Glide with a 131ci stage 4 kit it went well. Just not a comfortable tourer for multiple long days on the road. I could have changed the seat, upgraded the suspension and got long reach handle bars on it. Decided it was time to move on from it as opposed to spending more money on it and I'm hopeful the Bagger fits the bill.

My favourite HD will always be the 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra, it was a great long distance tourer. I should never have sold it. My 2014 Ultra Limited was good once I did a lowered Mustang seat and Chubby handlebars. Hopefully I'll be able to make a judgement on the Bagger by the end of next month. Still I have no intention of going back to a HD Bagger/ tourer.

· Registered
811 Posts
Thanks. Much appreciated.

But to be honest, you lost me.
You took his side, and he's dissin you for it. He's got the 5 gallion hat, but his Midwestern values is missin. Heady folks on the k1600 gettin technical, without losing their license. A mystery I never solved. The HD folks I rode with didn't do poker runs, didn't drink on a ride, and....but there's all kinds, and nobody's got a chip on their shoulder...or they keep to themselves and I'd never know.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts