BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking for a way to raise the seat on my 16 GTL Exclusive. I understand that the seat is different from the standard GTL. At some point I will probably get a custom seat, or a Sargent, but after paying the sales tax on registering this in MA (just bought it) I am strapped.

The passenger seat has been well received by my wife, I would just like the front part higher. Maybe an aftermarket pad like an airhawk, or the Gel one I see for sale on Ebay link- Ebay Gel Pad? I looked at the mechanics of it and it would involve fabricating a custom solution, unless you folks know of one out there.

Any input or sharing of your experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

JDRCapeCod

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Remove the seat and take a look at the plate in the bike that has the 2 rubber rolls that the front of the seat clips into. This plate can be removed and turned over thus raising those rubber rolls. On a GTL there is a plastic strip on the plate that won't allow you to clip it back into place. Cut that strip off so that it will clip back into the bike. The plate in the GT, which has a 2 piece seat, doesn't have that plastic strip on it.

The seat may have some difficulty snapping into place at the rear but with a hard strike of your hand it should click in. There will be a wider gap between the front of the seat and your tank but that's the way it goes.

I have owned 2 GTLs and did this modification to both seats with no lasting problems and the extra rise in the front does make a noticeable difference. Obviously if you don't like it you can flip the plate back to it's original position.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the seat and take a look at the plate in the bike that has the 2 rubber rolls that the front of the seat clips into. This plate can be removed and turned over thus raising those rubber rolls. On a GTL there is a plastic strip on the plate that won't allow you to clip it back into place. Cut that strip off so that it will clip back into the bike.

The seat may have some difficulty snapping into place at the rear but with a hard strike of your hand it should click in. There will be a wider gap between the front of the seat and your tank but that's the way it goes.
I took a look at that yesterday and found that I could remove the black plastic piece without breaking it. It did appear too high with a weird gap and I was afraid to force it, but now knowing that it will click in I will give it another try. Thanks for your input. At least it will give me an idea of what the extra height would do for me when figuring out a custom seat.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I have a 2 piece Russell Day Long seat (it was used from a GT bike) on my bike now and I will raise the front of the seat when on long rides. This keeps me back in the seat instead of sliding forward all the time. When I'm mostly just riding around town I'll drop it to the low position to give me better footing at stops.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Remove the seat and take a look at the plate in the bike that has the 2 rubber rolls that the front of the seat clips into. This plate can be removed and turned over thus raising those rubber rolls. On a GTL there is a plastic strip on the plate that won't allow you to clip it back into place. Cut that strip off so that it will clip back into the bike. The plate in the GT, which has a 2 piece seat, doesn't have that plastic strip on it.

I have owned 2 GTLs and did this modification to both seats with no lasting problems and the extra rise in the front does make a noticeable difference. Obviously if you don't like it you can flip the plate back to it's original position.
I just did this and it actually made a big (good) difference for my 6’5” frame. 👍

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
It sounds like Arizona Jim and Scotty have a great way to raise the seat at no cost which is probably the best way to make the seat taller.

If you do want to add something to the seat I would not use the Airhawk inflatable pads for that. They are intended to have just enough air in them to vary your pressure points for improved comfort. When properly inflated you don't really get raised up. If you have enough air in them to raise you up a bit you will get a floating, disconnected feeling that is less than ideal as the pace picks up and you are leaning more.

A gel pad could certainly work if you're looking for an inexpensive way to add some height.

Before I took the plunge into custom seats I used a black Alaska Leather Sheepskin Buttpad. It was fairly comfortable but I did not like being higher in the saddle so I only used it a couple of times and have had it on a shelf for many years. If you'd want to try it I'd be happy to send it your way as I don't think I'll ever use it again. It is in great condition and would like to see it have some good use if you'd like it. Just drop me a PM with your address if you'd like it and I'll get it headed your way. Take a peek at this link: Sheepskin Buttpads®. I've got the Pillion 1 which is not perfect for a GTLE seat as it won't cover the entire seat but it would let you know how it feels to be a bit taller if you want to give it a shot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like Arizona Jim and Scotty have a great way to raise the seat at no cost which is probably the best way to make the seat taller.

If you do want to add something to the seat I would not use the Airhawk inflatable pads for that. They are intended to have just enough air in them to vary your pressure points for improved comfort. When properly inflated you don't really get raised up. If you have enough air in them to raise you up a bit you will get a floating, disconnected feeling that is less than ideal as the pace picks up and you are leaning more.

A gel pad could certainly work if you're looking for an inexpensive way to add some height.

Before I took the plunge into custom seats I used a black Alaska Leather Sheepskin Buttpad. It was fairly comfortable but I did not like being higher in the saddle so I only used it a couple of times and have had it on a shelf for many years. If you'd want to try it I'd be happy to send it your way as I don't think I'll ever use it again. It is in great condition and would like to see it have some good use if you'd like it. Just drop me a PM with your address if you'd like it and I'll get it headed your way. Take a peek at this link: Sheepskin Buttpads®. I've got the Pillion 1 which is not perfect for a GTLE seat as it won't cover the entire seat but it would let you know how it feels to be a bit taller if you want to give it a shot.
I appreciate your offer. Since I just got the bike I am going to try to get some miles on it as it stands and see if it's something I need to address, or it's just different from what I am used to (R1200RT). Ultimately if I need it higher I think I will go RDL and send it out next winter.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Here’s an idea....
I'm off to my local dealer tomorrow who, for a bottle of rum (as a token only), have the bagger tall seat to give me... Maybe if you ask yours nicely 😇
Story to follow

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for a way to raise the seat on my 16 GTL Exclusive. I understand that the seat is different from the standard GTL. At some point I will probably get a custom seat, or a Sargent, but after paying the sales tax on registering this in MA (just bought it) I am strapped.

The passenger seat has been well received by my wife, I would just like the front part higher. Maybe an aftermarket pad like an airhawk, or the Gel one I see for sale on Ebay link- Ebay Gel Pad? I looked at the mechanics of it and it would involve fabricating a custom solution, unless you folks know of one out there.

Any input or sharing of your experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

JDRCapeCod
Hi from the other side , actually live in southeastern ma. I also have a 2016 gtle, found the seat to be too low and I'm only 5,11. I've been using a 1inch sheep skin covered gel pad and it's been good so far.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I appreciate your offer. Since I just got the bike I am going to try to get some miles on it as it stands and see if it's something I need to address, or it's just different from what I am used to (R1200RT). Ultimately if I need it higher I think I will go RDL and send it out next winter.
I did not need a higher seat but bought an Air Hawk cushion to allow a bit more comfort over longer distances. It is a. cheaper option than buying a new seat that you won't really know how it works till you try it. The same can be said about the Air Hawk. See the photos below with the Air Hawk on my bike. As a lot will tell you the least amount of air you use in them the better they are reported to work. If this does not work in the way I expect I will take the seat to a local upholstery shop and see what they can do while still keeping the heated seat function. I am sure it will be much cheaper than buying an aftermarket seat. Plus the upholster would work with you to give you what you want.

akahr-l.jpeg
IMG_0050.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I’ve found that a better way to raise my sitting position and get more padding in the seat is to eat a pint of ice cream each night before bed. It gives my arse a nice rounded look and has raised me off the seat at least an inch or two. It’s way cheaper than a custom seat and tastier than an AirHawk.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I bought a used 2016 GTL, 6'3" with a low seat and I knew something had to change. Felt like I was always sitting on a toilet.
I did the air hawk which was better. Came close to removing the plastic piece but I felt like I needed more. Working my way towards an RDL investment, I took a number of thin magazines and stacked them up with some duct tape attempting to keep the seat shape. I rode around a few hundred miles with that template being perfected and eventually measured the height difference it made, and what I liked. Gave those numbers to RDL in the beginning of winter and 3 weeks later I had the best modification to the bike. It was worth it even though I tried to delay paying for it. Now its a raised toilet seat. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi from the other side , actually live in southeastern ma. I also have a 2016 gtle, found the seat to be too low and I'm only 5,11. I've been using a 1inch sheep skin covered gel pad and it's been good so far.
I just ordered a Sargent seat and took advantage of their discount. The two piece seat will be automatically higher, and will allow for adjustment. It's arriving today!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve found that a better way to raise my sitting position and get more padding in the seat is to eat a pint of ice cream each night before bed. It gives my arse a nice rounded look and has raised me off the seat at least an inch or two. It’s way cheaper than a custom seat and tastier than an AirHawk.
I have been working on this solution during quarantine. So far, so good, but it takes so much time! 😁

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a used 2016 GTL, 6'3" with a low seat and I knew something had to change. Felt like I was always sitting on a toilet.
I did the air hawk which was better. Came close to removing the plastic piece but I felt like I needed more. Working my way towards an RDL investment, I took a number of thin magazines and stacked them up with some duct tape attempting to keep the seat shape. I rode around a few hundred miles with that template being perfected and eventually measured the height difference it made, and what I liked. Gave those numbers to RDL in the beginning of winter and 3 weeks later I had the best modification to the bike. It was worth it even though I tried to delay paying for it. Now its a raised toilet seat. :D
I believe that they call it "comfort height" in the toilet industry! I always had and liked Sargent seats on my BMW bikes. I just took advantage of their current discount (20% off) and ordered one. Arriving today!

·
Registered
419 Posts
JDR

When you get that Sargent Seat shoot some picture on the GTL. I would like to see if it goes as far back as the Exclusive seat. The Exclusive seat is longer then the stock GTL seat.

PS any one tried a WildAss seat Pad???

Ian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JDR

When you get that Sargent Seat shoot some picture on the GTL. I would like to see if it goes as far back as the Exclusive seat. The Exclusive seat is longer then the stock GTL seat.

Ian
I will. It is a different seat for the Exclusive and is longer. I will post some pictures after it is mounted...not sure if I will get to it today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JDR

Ian
I got the seat mounted last night, but not a good photo op, I want to get it out of the garage so you can see it. I will tell you that for ME, it has transformed the perch of the bike. I have always been an RT rider and this now gets me back into that more upright position. The back seat is extended like the factory Exclusive and the optional backrest is great. Now, I have yet to spend hours in the saddle, so time will tell. I'm a big guy (6'3" 285 pounds) and have always loved the firmness of the Sargent seats. I also like that it's not modified from my original seat. I am very impressed that they made an Exclusive version that is different. I did buy the BMW trim ring that they recommend to fill the seat gap. I also have the front seat on the lowest position, which is perfect for me. My knees will appreciate the extra height. I promise to get pictures.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts