BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
JDR

When you get that Sargent Seat shoot some picture on the GTL. I would like to see if it goes as far back as the Exclusive seat. The Exclusive seat is longer then the stock GTL seat.

PS any one tried a WildAss seat Pad???

Ian
Take a peek here: Sargent Seats - BMW K1600GT / K1600GTL. The World Sport Performance is for the GT/GTL and next to it is the World Sport Exclusive is for the Exclusive. Good pictures for both.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ralphie

One small photo on Sargent website doesn't convince me spend 1K on a seat.
Playing test pilot I do enough of looking forward to JDR comments and photos.

Ian

·
Registered
419 Posts
JDR

It certainly looks much nicer then the Russel Day Long and seem to match the back trunk and armrests.
What does that area you mentioned that fills in the Gap look like?
When you sit on it does it raise you up as you indicated you wanted?

Ian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
JDR

It certainly looks much nicer then the Russel Day Long and seem to match the back trunk and armrests.
What does that area you mentioned that fills in the Gap look like?
When you sit on it does it raise you up as you indicated you wanted?

Ian
The bike has been transformed in my opinion. Since 2004 I have been going back and forth between K bikes and RTs. I love the performance of the K bikes, but prefer the comfort of the RT (more upright riding position). Now that I typically use my bike for 2-up touring I needed to get into something a bit more comfy for my wife. The RT did not have a lot of room. It was between the new GoldWing, or a 1600LTE. I ended up with the K based on storage and a few other things but both bikes are very nice. After going for a ride on my K, I immediately missed the RT "perch". Getting the Sargent seat, this bike is perfect for me. Even in the low position the seat is just where I want it, and the back rest is great. The gap is just below the front seat, and is filled in with the factory BMW kit ($40 shipped) You can see it in the picture. The factory gap from the tank to the bike is much larger. Sargent has matched the vinyl color and texture. After their 20% discount I feel that this seat is a value. I also bought the side cover rain guards that allow my wife to plug in her heated vest with ease. I love the idea of the RDL, but bought the Sargent since it gets me into a dual seat that has front height adjustment. I also now have a product that has value to someone else if I sell the bike in the future. I can also bring it back to stock for the next owner. The storage under the seat for the manual, etc. is also a nice touch! I am not down on RDL at all...I'm sure they are amazing and even better since it's custom.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just a quick follow-up after spending some time in the saddle using the Sargent. I am very happy with it. Last weekend took a 5 hour ride and did not experience any discomfort (both myself and my wife). Drove 2.5 hours with no break, stopped for lunch (1 hour) and back home (another 2.5 hours with a 15 minute break). For me, I like to get off the bike every couple of hours just to stretch my legs, etc. I have never had a backrest but I would say that it makes a big difference since I experienced no back pain at all. Without it, I tend to not sit as straight without it. I would recommend this combination for anyone that is bigger (I am 280 pounds, 6'3"). The heat also worked as expected. Nice product!

·
Registered
918 Posts
JDRCapeCod, Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos.

·
Registered
68 Posts
PS any one tried a WildAss seat Pad???
Ian,

I've been using a WildAss seat cushion (the Neoprene version) for about a year, and I really like it. It's well made and gives me a height boost that I like (I'm 6'5").

The only downsides are: A) it will definitely get wet and hold water, and B) the heated seat doesn't work.

Well, technically, the heater works, but you can't feel it, as I realized this last winter when I came back from a ride wondering if my seat heater had failed (or I'd left it unplugged). Embarrassingly, I stood there for a good two minutes, staring at it, before I realized what was going on. Duh!

My wife laughed and told me not to tell anyone, but I'm sure I can trust y'all...

---David

21 - 31 of 31 Posts