BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is well and safe.

Just in need of some help if possible.

I am looking to power a wireless phone charger to my 2018 GT. Since this is the only thing I plan on adding I am guessing that a hexcan, fuseblock etc would be possibly overkill. I could be wrong and this is why I am looking for alternatives and opinions. I can go directly to the battery but if easy to wire to switched power I am thinking this would be a better way.

Is it possible to tap into wires going to the socket on the right side of upper faring? Seems to me that would be a possibility as it is meant to run accessories.

Any input would be welcomed and appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
You want switched power regardless of how you do it. Otherwise, that wireless charger will likely drain your battery slowly, even if no phone is attached.

The ezCan would indeed be overkill. The Fuseblock would be more than you need, but not nearly the same expense. For a single item, you could do the same with a simple relay and inline fuse for probably under $10.

I would not tap into the socket in the upper right as minor accessories left connected to that circuit have also been known to drain batteries.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I am looking to power a wireless phone charger to my 2018 GT. Since this is the only thing I plan on adding I am guessing that a hexcan, fuseblock etc would be possibly overkill. I could be wrong and this is why I am looking for alternatives and opinions. I can go directly to the battery but if easy to wire to switched power I am thinking this would be a better way.

Is it possible to tap into wires going to the socket on the right side of upper faring? Seems to me that would be a possibility as it is meant to run accessories.

It is possible. I have my radar detector tapped into that using posi-taps and have no issues. The power stays on it for about 20 seconds or so after the key is turned off.

·
Registered
397 Posts

On my 2013GTL, I wired my Ram wireless charger into the leads to the Din outlet on the upper right fairing, so you should be good to go. I recommend you use the appropriate size Positaps, that way, the biggest hassle will be hiding the wires under the fairings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I added a double USB outlet to the right side fairing near the BMW/Hella/Powerlet accessory outlet. I tied the USB into that power source, as I really didn't see much chance that I would ever use both at the same time...

There isn't a ton of room behind that panel, but enough for a small USB outlet like this.

USB Outlet (Amazon)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, it is greatly appreciated. Sounds like posi-taps is what I am going to do. Using the Ram wireless charger also. 👍

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my 2013GTL, I wired my Ram wireless charger into the leads to the Din outlet on the upper right fairing, so you should be good to go. I recommend you use the appropriate size Positaps, that way, the biggest hassle will be hiding the wires under the fairings.
Thanks for the input. Really appreciated.....
Do you remember what size of positap you used and what colour on wires represented positive and ground?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks for the input. Really appreciated.....
Do you remember what size of positap you used and what colour on wires represented positive and ground?
No, and unfortunately, I'm working out of town for the next several weeks so cannot get to the remaining positaps I have to check the part number.

However, I went back through my files and found the following info on the two orders I placed with them (and I'm pretty sure I only placed two positap orders):

ZRTL-642-6 BLISTER CARD Posi-Tap™ 6 pc PTA1800M
ZRTL-643-6 BLISTER CARD Posi-Tap™ 6 pc PTA1218M

In terms of wire color, the Ram water proof induction charger used the standard red / black color code. BMW has it's own neg / pos color code and I don't remember what that is ... I want to say the neg is gray with a dark stripe, but that's iffy at best. You might want to do a search on this forum for that info.

Worse case scenario, you can always use a volt meter to figure that out if / when you pull the right-side fairing off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, and unfortunately, I'm working out of town for the next several weeks so cannot get to the remaining positaps I have to check the part number.

However, I went back through my files and found the following info on the two orders I placed with them (and I'm pretty sure I only placed two positap orders):

ZRTL-642-6 BLISTER CARD Posi-Tap™ 6 pc PTA1800M
ZRTL-643-6 BLISTER CARD Posi-Tap™ 6 pc PTA1218M

In terms of wire color, the Ram water proof induction charger used the standard red / black color code. BMW has it's own neg / pos color code and I don't remember what that is ... I want to say the neg is gray with a dark stripe, but that's iffy at best. You might want to do a search on this forum for that info.

Worse case scenario, you can always use a volt meter to figure that out if / when you pull the right-side fairing off.
Thanks for the reply

1 - 9 of 9 Posts