BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If loud pipes save lives, just imagine what proper training and good gear could do?

Saw this on a bumper sticker on a motorcycle trailer. Thought it was worth repeating.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
No no you heard it wrong..

Loud pipes wake wives...

• Haha
Reactions: joeducati

·
Registered
6,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
On my RFTW vest I have a patch that says "LOUD PIPES ANNOY PEOPLE"

Reactions: frenchnew

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
If loud pipes save lives, just imagine what proper training and good gear could do?

Saw this on a bumper sticker on a motorcycle trailer. Thought it was worth repeating.
I regularly get asked my opinion about loud pipes when I'm teaching MSF classes. I make certain to state that my personal opinion is;

Loud Pipes Risk Rights

We have a number of communities that have eliminated or limited motorcycle access because of noise levels.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
I like the quote in this article:
“the two types of bikes that most often use loud pipes (cruisers and sport bikes) are significantly over-represented in crash data (accidents per type vehicle mile).”
Glad our K is a touring bike :D.

Also: "Loud pipes don’t save lives. Proper training, safety gear and loud horns do."

And especially: "
The emotionally immature [person] … has low levels of self-esteem and self-confidence and consequently feels insecure; to counter these feelings of insecurity they will spend a large proportion of their lives creating situations in which they become the centre of attention…"

Reactions: Brayon

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used to hate the rumble, now I kind of like it, but not to the extent that many cruiser folks take it to. I've always liked a nice-sounding exhaust system on a car, but again, that can be taken to an obnoxious level, too.

There's a difference between "nice" and "loud."

·
Administrator
17,790 Posts
Below my office window is a roadway with traffic counts of 270,000 vehicles per day. So, loud exhaust vehicles are part of daily life. A very annoying part. :mad:

If one loves their loud noise so much, route the exhaust inside the vehicle, of route the loud cruiser exhaust back up and point it at your head.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I'm guessing that bright lights save lives. Bright and reflective clothing saves lives. Loud horns save lives. Anything else that gets you seen, heard, or noticed saves lives... I can say that hearing a loud bike that I didn't see has kept me from changing lanes in an 18 wheeler. You guys can argue it all you want, I'm glad I didn't run over anybody.

My Harley isn't loud by most standards, nor can it zip out of the way like my Beemer can. We don't know what is going to get us in the end. I'm guessing someone texting in a car will do me in.

Anything to stay alive is fine with me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
If one loves their loud noise so much, route the exhaust inside the vehicle, of route the loud cruiser exhaust back up and point it at your head.
If they all did that, the problem would sort itself out in short order. :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
"Bright lights make me seen better" seems like a better idea.
Oncoming cars that turn left in front of you probably could not
hear the loudest pipes anyway! They will see my lights.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Below my office window is a roadway with traffic counts of 270,000 vehicles per day. So, loud exhaust vehicles are part of daily life. A very annoying part. :mad:

I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not ride a silent bike. Sound contributes to awareness as do horns, sirens and now a mandate for EVs to emit noise. I'll take every advantage I can get from gear, visibility to sound without being obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I would not ride a silent bike. Sound contributes to awareness as do horns, sirens and now a mandate for EVs to emit noise. I'll take every advantage I can get from gear, visibility to sound without being obnoxious.
....and yet people still get run over by trains. :unsure:

Reactions: pkpr1998 and Lee510

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
You got a photo of your K1600?

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 29 Posts