BMW K1600 Forum banner

Loving my 2020 GA. Coming from a 1250 RT and a K1600 GTL.

5K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  Direwlf 
#1 · (Edited)
I can't say enough about my GA I just picked up today. I had a 2020 RT1250 I traded for it, and before that a K1600 GTL. The GA is my type of bike. Driving it home today in near 25 MPH wind gusts was not a big thing. It handled fine. Test driving it a couple days ago, it didn't pull to the the left or right and tracked true. I also like the big lights on the back end. Funny thing is, near 2 years ago, I compared it to the GTL and went with the GTL. Thinking it was a better fit. Oh well! :)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Automotive tire

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Congrats on that beauty! I love my 2018 Grand America, after coming off a CVO Harley. I had to stay with all the luxury bells and whistles, but the suspension is what really sold me on Grand America. The RT 1200 would have been my 2nd choice, but the style, performance, and riding position, made the GA an easy choice for me.

Cheers!

#7 ·
Thanks Kingspoke. I used to have a Harley Ultra and 2 Indians after that. Then I came to the BMW side. The other bikes have their offerings to certain folks. But I am sticking with BMW now. The refinement etc is top shelf. I really like the suspension on the GA as well. I traded in a 2020 RT1250 for it. It was a wonderful bike and very responsive etc. But it did not have the smoothness or riding position I liked. The GA looks good from every angle and I love the big taillights on the rear. I like the lower ride, easier to get a leg over and the ride is so smooth. I like being able to let the top case lid just fall and its like a hermetically sealed clam lol. No thud when the lid falls. Just a quiet whisper of precision. I am going to get two sets of Darla Clearwater lights for the front to finish it off.

#20 ·
TY. Last year was getting the drive lights optimal. Next year I have other projects if the employment gods are kind.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and Direwlf
#21 ·
You got it. I will say that the lights are a huge thing for me personally. The bikes I have ran with lots of lights are more easily seen and I have not had a car do the whoops and start to pull out on me ever, compared to riding without them before. Knock on wood. I never let my guard down though. It's pretty hard to ignore a blazing comet coming at ya. lol. I have two sets of Clearwater's on the way and a Billy break light coming for the license plate frame. Will do so Illium bars for the back. Cant wait to see the rest of your project when it's done.

#22 ·
These are nowhere near the quality of the Clearwater brand lights, but they are part of an overarching vision I have for the bike. This is 37K lumen in three patterns, but they are only on if I turn them on (not with other cars in front of me, like in the boonies at night). They are also WW controlled and programmed for high beam operations.

I have too many projects.

#25 ·
I agree it is good, but I was just curious. If a person could could throw on just louder decibel units that are not air powered, I would maybe think about it. Like plug and play types. Lots of rock, gravel, and grain trucks in my farming community and people playing loud music with their faces in their laps texting. GRRRRRrrrrr

#26 ·
I left the horn stock, but I improved brakes and ground this year. I have farkle lighting in mind too, but I want the bike to gain miles until I am actually ready to mess with it again.

#31 ·
Awesome! I am trying to find a good way to mount my radar detector. I just like knowing where they are and I buzz sometimes 5 or 10 over. I was thinking of doing a stealth set up in the front somewhere, then having a blinking LED holed into a conspicuous spot to where it would be easily seen from the seat. I will do that next year probably.

#29 ·
It's all friendly kidding. But the reality is that the GA tops out at a much lower speed than the GTL, and reaches instability much sooner too. Many riders don't test the upper limits of these bikes, so in most cases, it doesn't matter.

The GA is a beautiful bike. I saw one on the showroom floor a few weeks back, and I can see why it sells on looks alone. It's all about what you want the K16 experience to be.

#40 ·
I can't say enough about my GA I just picked up today. I had a 2020 RT1250 I traded for it, and before that a K1600 GTL. The GA is my type of bike. Driving it home today in near 25 MPH wind gusts was not a big thing. It handled fine. Test driving it a couple days ago, it didn't pull to the the left or right and tracked true. I also like the big lights on the back end. Funny thing is, near 2 years ago, I compared it to the GTL and went with the GTL. Thinking it was a better fit. Oh well! :) View attachment 146567
I have the 2020 k1600b limited edition and love it. Best bike I have ever owned out of 15. So comfortable. Hope you enjoy for years to come. Love the color.

#44 · (Edited)
Lots of things actually.. The RT1250 is a wonderful bike, and I think between the two it would depend more on the personal choice of an individual than a design issue. To me neither bike has that issue. But for my personal decision, here are the reasons. I traded because the RT has more of an upright riding position that didn't work for me, when compared to the GA. It is more of a relaxed ride for me and I don't feel I am reaching for the bars at all. Its just more natural. I put a riser on my RT to get the bars back more but it still was not as relaxed. The seat is better for me on the GA. I like the floor boards up front better and they look more integrated then the highway pegs I added to my engine bars on the RT. I like the full solid feel of them. The ride is smoother going down the road as is the engine and it is easier to hear the radio with less road noise. Plus you have rear speakers on the GA. I like the rear lighting on the GA. I had a trunk light on my RTs case, but this thing is super noticeable for braking etc. I like the rear upper trunk for getting my helmet in. Set it in upright and shut it. The RT I had to always turn it this way or that way on its side and it was still a bit big it seemed. Then it starts getting scratches where I don't wan't. I like the reverse gear on the GA. The RT is light, but I have a pretty good lip in my garage to get over. The GA is easier to throw a leg over. Especially if you are restricted with all the riding gear on, pants etc. To me, I think the GA has a better road presence and is prettier. Yes prettier, and there have been lots of compliments on the bike. Of course that is important to me :) There are trades offs, and too many to list. One being the speed limiter on the GA if you have to go over 105. I have all the speed I safely need. If I want to go faster I will get another sport bike and go to a track. And a bit more buffeting in certain circumstances. I am not worried about that, big horse little horse :) So the list can go on and on. I would say test drive them both and make your mind up. There is no right or wrong decision. Last thing, the horn on the K is near a car horn lol. It's loud and I love it!

#47 ·
I have to say I sold my Indian Roadmaster and went to a 2019 RT and love the bikes handling, motor etc but the ergonomics were so wrong for me. I could not ride any great miles / kms without pain between the shoulders and neck so after a mear 2 weeks it was gone and back onto the GTL. Not as comfy as the Roadmaster was but as mentioned above there are always trade-offs. Having owned RT`s in the past and one other GTL around 2017 I went with the GTL knowing it would be a more ergonomically friendly bike and still have lots of the good stuff such as handling and speed that I like about the BMW brand while being a safe bike to ride in just about any condition. So I can agree and see Direwif`s points that he makes.

#48 · (Edited)
I was actually looking at another Roadmaster, until I forgot how smoothe the K bikes are. I agree with you 100 percent on the pain thing. I was always tense in the shoulders and my neck on the RT. Its a great bike, but for the longer hauls I like what I have. Sheriffs dept in my city bought some RTs to try out. It's a popular police bike the world over. I saw the RTs they purchased at the BMW dealer. The GTL is another wonderful bike. And again, the GTL offers things the others do not. If this bike didn't fit me so well, I would go back to the GTL myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.