BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to install a set of lowering links, yes they are GARS, on a 2018 GTL. The shock and spring assembly are compressed and I cannot align all the holes. Can I somehow compress the spring to realign the holes without causing damage?
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the rear wheel raised about two inches so far. I used a bottle jack to raise it then blocked the wheel and removed the jack

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I think the holes would be easier to line up if the ride setting was set to comfort. I didn't have to do too much compressing, I just used a 2x4 under the wheel and kicked it forward until the wheel lifted a little and the holes lined up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used the center stand. I have a 2016 but I did not have to compress anything. on the stand, I hade to raise the rear wheel about 1.5 inches to get teh holes to align
Rick

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I put the bike on center stand.
I slid a piece of 3/4" piece of plywood under the rear tire.
Then I used a long pry bar to lift the tire up to align the holes.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I put the bike on center stand.
I slid a piece of 3/4" piece of plywood under the rear tire.
Then I used a long pry bar to lift the tire up to align the holes.

Great tips Guys. I'm looking for the torque values for the 3 bolts and cant seem to find them. Would anybody have them by chance.
L

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a K1600GTLE with Gars lowering links on it. The bike is comfortable but I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and would like to raise the bike back up with the original plates, especially since I will be towing a trailer. Most of the posts I've read say it's an easy job to lower the bike, but has anyone raised it? I get nervous whenever I have to disassemble anything with a spring on it. Some questions are: Is this a one person job or two? Is it hard to get the tire raised (or Lowered?) to line up the holes? I saw a picture with bolts that have cotter pins in them, are there different bolts for the GT, B, & GTL or were they special aftermarket bolts? Does it make any difference which ride setting the suspension is set at? I usually run the many problems I could encounter on projects like this in my head before I start. I would hate to disassemble something and have to trailer the bike to a dealer to have it fixed. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I bought a K1600GTLE with Gars lowering links on it. The bike is comfortable but I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and would like to raise the bike back up with the original plates, especially since I will be towing a trailer. Most of the posts I've read say it's an easy job to lower the bike, but has anyone raised it? I get nervous whenever I have to disassemble anything with a spring on it. Some questions are: Is this a one person job or two? One can do it, two is okay also.Is it hard to get the tire raised (or Lowered?) to line up the holes? No, provided you follow the previous suggestions in prior responses. I saw a picture with bolts that have cotter pins in them, are there different bolts for the GT, B, & GTL or were they special aftermarket bolts? I do not know. However, the bolts are SINGLE use ONLY. Do NOT reuse your stock bolts; purchase new ones from your dealer.Does it make any difference which ride setting the suspension is set at? Don’t think so.I usually run the many problems I could encounter on projects like this in my head before I start. I would hate to disassemble something and have to trailer the bike to a dealer to have it fixed. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
BTW; if you determine that your GARS links are of the .5 lowering height and want to sell them I’ll take ‘em. Paying for what they sold for new $40.
Good Luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts