BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been posted before. I can't stop watching it. I keep going back and replaying it, looking for tips on how to improve handling. He's looking and leaning into each turn. Upper body only. But getting a good shift of weight. And he goes where his head and eyes go. This is a critical technique, IMO. It's almost like you know where you're going, you're leaning toward your goal, reaching toward it, and it starts to feel like you're pulling your bike with you, instead of being pushed by it.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600 GTL
88 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
55,500Mi
@RedCard
I agree. I saw this on IG and forwarded it to my of the guys in my riding group. Blows my mind, this is totally awesome, and leaves me feeling so much an amateur. About six months ago I enrolled in slow manuever riding course provided free of charge by several local law enforcement agency's, it was a great idea, and a wonderful learning experience, even though I failed miserably by my own standards. I did receive a completion certificate, but dropped my bike twice, once really bad, I didn't let go while executing a tight left turn, flipped me over on to my back (so embarassed !!!) there were in my estimation approximately 99 other riders there that day on every bike make model and type. While I wasn't the only rider who dumped it that day, I think mine was the most over board. That said I was on my 2003 BMW K1200 LTE, no excuse, but so top heavy with a fragile clutch. After seeing this and now riding my 2015 BMW K1600 GTL, it feels so much more manueverable I'm inclined to setp some cones in a deserted parking lot and continue my slow manuever riding eduction.

·
Registered
K1600 GT SE 2011
32 Posts
I'm amazed by that video, not so much his balance and vision but his clutch/throttle control. I find my K1600 has a lot of drive lash from the prop/transmission when using the clutch and timing it with the throttle. I think its normal from what I have read and its been serviced etc and to be honest, its the first shaft drive and slipper clutch I have ridden and I'm amazed it isn't as smooth as silk. But to ride like the video... I need to practice my clutch and throttle more, because at the moment if I rode like that I would be straight on the floor at the first turn given the transition I currently have from closed to open throttle - there is always lag (slipper clutch?).

Reactions: josephdfrick

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know if this has been posted before. I can't stop watching it. I keep going back and replaying it, looking for tips on how to improve handling. He's looking and leaning into each turn. Upper body only. But getting a good shift of weight. And he goes where his head and eyes go. This is a critical technique, IMO. It's almost like you know where you're going, you're leaning toward your goal, reaching toward it, and it starts to feel like you're pulling your bike with you, instead of being pushed by it.
I recently joined this site as I am purchasing (deposit made) a '23 K1600GT. I took a '22 for a test ride at Max BMW in Troy a few weeks ago and was surprised by how nimble it was compared to the 2012 I rode back in the day. The bike is amazing, but I have to attribute a some of the handling proficiency to my taking the BMW Authority course down in Greer S.C. back in May. I was on a GS at the time, but it taught you balance, vision, and getting "one" with the bike. I realized that I would turn my head so far in the obstacle course that I would catch the GS's tail rack in my peripheral vision. It was $1500 or so but I learned so much from that course that I would like to take it again. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I also took the Off-Road course last November and that was an eye opener as well to what you could do with a R1250GS. Here is the link for the Rider Academy, https://bmwperformancecenter.com/motorrad/schools/. When we completed the Authority Course, we got a little something extra.

Motor vehicle Font Circle Symbol Automotive wheel system
Badge Crest Emblem Circle Symbol

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I admire and respect what these low speed skilled people do, but I have no desire to gain such skill because it does not transfer well to dealing with canyon road twisties at 40 mph. Or any road speed. My hat is off to them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@RedCard
I agree. I saw this on IG and forwarded it to my of the guys in my riding group. Blows my mind, this is totally awesome, and leaves me feeling so much an amateur. About six months ago I enrolled in slow manuever riding course provided free of charge by several local law enforcement agency's, it was a great idea, and a wonderful learning experience, even though I failed miserably by my own standards. I did receive a completion certificate, but dropped my bike twice, once really bad, I didn't let go while executing a tight left turn, flipped me over on to my back (so embarassed !!!) there were in my estimation approximately 99 other riders there that day on every bike make model and type. While I wasn't the only rider who dumped it that day, I think mine was the most over board. That said I was on my 2003 BMW K1200 LTE, no excuse, but so top heavy with a fragile clutch. After seeing this and now riding my 2015 BMW K1600 GTL, it feels so much more manueverable I'm inclined to setp some cones in a deserted parking lot and continue my slow manuever riding eduction.
I'd be scared to death trying to do crawl speed/full-lock turns on my K16. I've a hard enough time just trying to re-learn hard right banked turns at speed. I had 350,000 miles over 30 years and hung it up for ten. Now re-educating but without my old bunch living near me any longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Why do you guys assume that everyone wants to be on facebook - or even IG? :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
@RedCard I agree. I saw this on IG and forwarded it to my of the guys in my riding group. Blows my mind, this is totally awesome, and leaves me feeling so much an amateur. About six months ago I enrolled in slow manuever riding course provided free of charge by several local law enforcement agency's, it was a great idea, and a wonderful learning experience, even though I failed miserably by my own standards. I did receive a completion certificate, but dropped my bike twice, once really bad, I didn't let go while executing a tight left turn, flipped me over on to my back (so embarassed !!!) there were in my estimation approximately 99 other riders there that day on every bike make model and type. While I wasn't the only rider who dumped it that day, I think mine was the most over board. That said I was on my 2003 BMW K1200 LTE, no excuse, but so top heavy with a fragile clutch. After seeing this and now riding my 2015 BMW K1600 GTL, it feels so much more manueverable I'm inclined to setp some cones in a deserted parking lot and continue my slow manuever riding eduction.
Yeah, I had my 1600 for one hour and drove to the end on my neighborhood only to stop at a horrible downhill intersection to take a left. It is curved and you cannot see more than 200 feet. It is a 45Mph zone and since that is down hill as well eveyone does 60. You have 4 seconds to make up your mind from the moment you see a car appear.I put my foot down and there I went. No crashbars. Brand new helmet damaged, concussion for a few days. Just like that. A 20 year old girl pulled over immediately wanted to help me up and really appreciated the company. I set the bike back up and was mortified. First time in over 40 years. I now to go Costco which has a great beautiful setup to practice until they open up at 10. That 0 to 5 mph manouvering in tight spaces is the hardest. Every day for 20 min. I am getting to the point I am not panicing anymore. But this is Wisconsin and it is parked in my basement now and will add the crashbars. You see the skill of the guy in the video. LOOK where you plan to go. That alone is amzing. Best wished. I am going to get that skil. (https://www.youtube.com/c/MotoJitsu)

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do you guys assume that everyone wants to be on facebook - or even IG? :mad:
Oh gosh. I keep trying to scan the Introduction threads and ask all newbies for a list of their approved video and image sites. Must have overlooked that.

By the way. Are you comfortable? Do you have the right morning drink? Can we get your slippers for you? Wash your bike maybe? Just want to make sure you feel welcome and happy, and we don't accidentally post anything to your disliking.

If you need anything else, just press the call button. It usually looks something like this on your device:

Font Symbol Circle Electric blue Logo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts