BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 K1600B
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from NJ area or tristate planning to attend the Daytona Beach Bike week this year? I was thinking of going obviously subject to the updates on the pandemic. Would be better to go together.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Florida is doing a great job managing the effects of the pandemic last I read but things could change from one week or day to the next. I absolutely love riding but have always hated crowds so events like Sturgis and Daytona Bike week are not an option for me. Good luck finding someone to ride with, always better to have at least one other person riding with you especially long distances.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I've never been and won't be going this year in any event. Too little time left to plan. I would guess that hotel rooms are hard to get by now. I wouldn't worry about Covid restrictions in FL. They made all restrictions illegal. You only have to worry about whether NJ will let you come home. :)

I'm curious, from those who have gone, what it's like. Is it anything more than Spring Break with fellow bikers? Mostly Harleys? Any unique deals on anything? Access to anything, etc? Nothing wrong with a good Spring Break party, if that's all it is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was in Myrtle Beach, SC during bike week a few years before I began riding. I didn't realize it was bike week. Not a place I want to be. Some beautiful motorcycles, i.e. custom cruisers but they're nearly all trailer queens. I've seen shirts that say, "I rode my bike to trailer week!" :LOL:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been going to Daytona Bike Week for 40 years, give or take. Only missed a few. It's a shadow of what it used to be. It used to be huge, with vendors and crowds stretched from Ormond to New Smyrna and beyond. Every strip mall and parking lot would be filled with vendors, show bikes, dyno runs, you name it. I can remember when Harley Davidson would rent out the Civic Center and bring in acts like ZZ Top or Bruce Springsteen...pull out all the stops! All that has faded away now. Now it's pretty much confined to three spots: Main Street for all the bars and drinking, Rothmeyer's HD for all the vendors, and the Motor Speedway for demo rides. Still a lot of New Englanders that ride or trailer down for some warmer weather riding. BMW used to always have a demo truck. Don't think they even bother with it anymore. Maybe the R18 will change that. I guess I'll find out, as I and a friend have a condo rented for five nights in March.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm curious, from those who have gone, what it's like. Is it anything more than Spring Break with fellow bikers? Mostly Harleys?
I went once and should've left my H-D home. There was 500K people there back in '03 and yes, it's like spring break for bikers. Everyday I would get on my bike and ride to a different part of FL for the day. On the way back to the Adams Mark Hotel (now the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort) on Atlantic Ave I could see the hotel, but it ;literally took 2+hrs to get to it due to the amount of traffic. Had my engine off and duck walked all the way to the hotel...NEVER AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Sounds like something I would want to see for a day, if I happened to already be in the area already. Not going on my bucket list. I knew a guy who flew out to Stergis and stayed in a hotel, but did not bring his bike at all. He had a very old Harley. He just wanted to see the event. Said he had a good time, but not sure he's going back.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like something I would want to see for a day, if I happened to already be in the area already. Not going on my bucket list. I knew a guy who flew out to Stergis and stayed in a hotel, but did not bring his bike at all. He had a very old Harley. He just wanted to see the event. Said he had a good time, but not sure he's going back.
There are some great motorcycle roads outside of Sturgis so there's good riding to do and sights to see besides just the Rally, definitely worth going back to ride.

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,220 Posts
Seems like I should rather plan for Laconia NH rally later in the summer
Laconia is about seven miles from my house. You can use my property if you are camping.
Understand that, much like Daytona and Sturgis, Laconia is a zoo. The area along the lake is congested and sees about 100,000 to 250,000 people during bike week. Last year they shut down street concessions and limited toplessness to backyards only.
That said, New England is some of the best riding in the country. I love bike week, but I don't attend it. I love it because it frees up my favorite roads with bikers at the event. When they come northeast, I go northwest.
Lastly, bring your rain gear because it always seems to rain during bike week. The event goes from Saturday to Saturday (father's day) and most riders come up from the South. The traffic from NYC to Boston will suck so consider traveling at night.

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,220 Posts
Did I mention New England riding is almost the best in the country?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
There are some great motorcycle roads outside of Sturgis, so there's good riding to do and sights to see besides just the Rally, definitely worth going back to ride.
There are some great roads around Sturgis, one of my favorite being Spearfish Canyon, but I wouldn’t go anywhere near the area within a month of the rally. I was there in late June a few years ago, and there were already too many Harley’s clogging up the roads.

Pick empty times and enjoy.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,725 Posts
@JohnS1955 , we were there this past August 4 days after Bike Week ended. They were gone! We had no problems with day rides throughout the area.

Duane

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Mr.Fix It
8,725 Posts
Did I mention New England riding is almost the best in the country?
I've ridden New England extensively and agree that area offers some really good riding. But, if you think it's that good I'd encourage you to come on down and join us for a few days of riding in WV.... :)

Duane

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Laconia is about seven miles from my house. You can use my property if you are camping.
Understand that, much like Daytona and Sturgis, Laconia is a zoo. The area along the lake is congested and sees about 100,000 to 250,000 people during bike week. Last year they shut down street concessions and limited toplessness to backyards only.
That said, New England is some of the best riding in the country. I love bike week, but I don't attend it. I love it because it frees up my favorite roads with bikers at the event. When they come northeast, I go northwest.
Lastly, bring your rain gear because it always seems to rain during bike week. The event goes from Saturday to Saturday (father's day) and most riders come up from the South. The traffic from NYC to Boston will suck so consider traveling at night.
I went to Laconia every year from 1982 to 2007 when I moved to AZ. As expected, traffic was always heavy during bike week just like every other rally I have attended. A few years back a bunch of us from AZ went to the Laconia area for a motorcycle trip, but not during bike week......I could not believe the amount of traffic in the area, especially since there were no major events going on. Traffic was just as bad if not worse than bike week.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Daytona Bike Week used to be a right of passage. I attended in '94 when the local MOA club hosted a concurrent rally in a campground. That year BMW hosted an IROC type race where we were allowed to ride into the infield to spectate. Pretty boring race though. So me and a Dallas TX motorcop decided to check out a Harley bar that advertised free beer. The guy directing traffic there motioned for us to enter the "corral" out back, which we did on our beemers! We were the only non-HD machines parked among the 100 or so bristly bikers. No one gave us any flack though. Saw a few motorcycles in the ditches on the way back. The ride to Daytona and back along the FL panhandle from New Orleans was epic though. I dont think MOA is hosting anything there any more, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Grand America
12 Posts
My buddy and I attended Daytona Bike week in 2015. It seems like "Spring Break for bikers" but we enjoyed it. The downside for us was we like to ride and that area was just to crowded. We rode into Daytona a couple of days just to walk around and take in the sights, the other days we just scooted around to different parts of Florida. We were just happy to be out of the frigid and snowy weather in the northeast and riding in warm weather in February! Life was good for "snowbirds" like us. :)
We also have attended "Americade" in Lake George, NY about 5-6 times. It's a little more laid back but riding through the Adirondacks, New Hampshire, and Vermont has let me enjoy some of the best days on my bike. The roads are that good. Haven't been to Laconia or Sturgis yet but it remains on the bucket list just to say"I did it".

·
Registered
562 Posts
There are some great roads around Sturgis, one of my favorite being Spearfish Canyon, but I wouldn’t go anywhere near the area within a month of the rally. I was there in late June a few years ago, and there were already too many Harley’s clogging up the roads.

Pick empty times and enjoy.
I've done Spearfish Canyon twice along with Needles Hwy both are really great roads, fortunately both times I was there traffic was light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts