BMW K1600 Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts
@Vandaldog , I don't doubt your 150 mph for a second. But, wrt to top end, 150 is a long way from 170...

Duane

Reactions: Vandaldog
My 2000 K12 LT with a Garmin 2828 had a maximum speed of 327 mph. 170! 🤮 Dude should be tryin' harder. Like Avis, or something!😀:LOL::ROFLMAO:

If you look closely, the posts are from "ed" and "edd". I wonder when eddy will show up.

• Haha
Reactions: J-Luv and ed1970
For grins..

I took what we know as reasonable top speed estimates for a K1600 GT of 155MPH, then using several online calculators reversed out what the Cd (coefficient of drag) is by taking the known frontal area (I measured my bike) and known weight (being kind at 950 pounds all in) and looked for a Cd number by targeting approx wheel HP (138 Wheel HP). If that sounds reasonable, then I looked for what those derived numbers mean for HP requirements to hit 170MPH.

Frontal Area = 9.135 ft^2 - I physically measured the bike (54" high with Cal Sci medium windshield and 29" wide peak) and then found some standard value used online (.84) which comes out to the 9.135

Weight = 950 pounds (being kind here)

Known Engine HP = 160

Approximate (target) Wheel HP = 160*.85 = 136 wheel HP. To hit that 136HP value we have to be at a Cd of .49 which I think is an unrealistically slippery number for a motorcycle/rider combo but lets play the game.

None of that has to be anything but within the margin of error because what we care about is the relative increase in HP to hit 170.

If 155 is a reasonable number, then to hit 170 MPH we need approximately 180HP at the wheel (204 at the crank) or an increase of approximately 28% over stock. To go 15MPH faster, we need almost 30% more horsepower.

For grins..

I took what we know as reasonable top speed estimates for a K1600 GT of 155MPH, then using several online calculators reversed out what the Cd (coefficient of drag) is by taking the known frontal area (I measured my bike) and known weight (being kind at 950 pounds all in) and looked for a Cd number by targeting approx wheel HP (138 Wheel HP). If that sounds reasonable, then I looked for what those derived numbers mean for HP requirements to hit 170MPH.

Frontal Area = 9.135 ft^2 - I physically measured the bike (54" high with Cal Sci medium windshield and 29" wide peak) and then found some standard value used online (.84) which comes out to the 9.135

Known Engine HP = 160

Approximate (target) Wheel HP = 160*.85 = 136 wheel HP. To hit that 136HP value we have to be at a Cd of .49 which I think is an unrealistically slippery number for a motorcycle/rider combo but lets play the game.

None of that has to be anything but within the margin of error because what we care about is the relative increase in HP to hit 170.

If 155 is a reasonable number, then to hit 170 MPH we need approximately 180HP at the wheel (204 at the crank) or an increase of approximately 28% over stock. To go 15MPH faster, we need almost 30% more horsepower.
Did you factor the below into your calcs?

Appreciate the info. I sold my S1000RR about a year and a half ago. I know My K16 will never live up to it but I broke 300 pounds and it just was not a comfortable bike to ride.

For grins..

Known Engine HP = 160

You sir..... Have waaaaayyyyyyy too much time on your hands!!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: earthling
Please tell me this was on the center stand. Id love to see the corresponding picture of the bike sized hole in the back of your garage.

Please tell me this was on the center stand. Id love to see the corresponding picture of the bike sized hole in the back of your garage.

Easy to do an indicated 160 when you install a second set of speed sensors. 😁

No center stand and no 170 in this pic. No photo shop and will show anyone in Houston area in person 165-ish if they can keep up. No longer have the GT, but the B will hit 165-ish. only 160 in this pic though
I am very respectful that you squeezed that speed out of it, quite impressive! But MAN that is a lot of traffic around you to be doing 165, I mean holy cow Batman there are people everywhere!

Yeah, I still think it’s all BS, simply because if someone was actually so foolish to actually smoke past that much traffic at a near +100 delta, that same fool would say to themselves “gee that was stupid” and not brag about it all over this forum.
So IF (and that’s a big if) the photo and story are true - the guy posting about it is an even bigger retard than the one flying by all that traffic.
Let’s all stop giving sails to his wind; many knowledgeable folks here find it very hard to believe his boasts so we should recognize he is just yanking the chain and forget about it.

Reactions: Gunnert
121 - 136 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.