BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Never heard of that company, although that shouldn't mean anything to anybody. I'm heading to England, Scotland and Wales this July and I'm using these guys. https://www.roadtrip.uk/motorcycle-tours/14-day-uk-motorcycle-tour/

I'm not much of a guided tour guy, although I understand that on guided tours, there are so many levels of riders, the guide just tells everyone where the evening's hotel is and expects you'll be there.

Before you spend money, I'd do a search of European motorcycle tours and make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck. The important thing is whatever you decide, have fun.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have used Beach’s Motorcycle Adventures in Europe and NZ. They’re great!

Previous poster was right that they allow you to ‘go your own way’ but with some expansion: you have a choice of strenuous, casual, or short / efficient routes preplanned. And a great guide book. You can join the leader’s ride - typically the most challenging, join another group, or go it alone. And the Beach’s team is expert in the area, the sights, the places to stop and eat, and off-the-beaten-path accommodations. Can’t recommend BMCA enough!

That said, Maximal may be similar. Have fun and show us some photos!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Rather than tours, I prefer rent the bike and plan my routes, stopping, eating and sleeping where I want. Have only done it once in central Italy and would do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have no experience with the tour company concerned, but I'm sure they'll do a good professional job.

One observation I would make is that it looks like it's a bit of a whistle-stop tour with limited opportunities to see much other than the roads and hotels. However, if your vacation time is limited then I guess it's a case of "needs must".

Hope you have a great trip :tb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Being from Europe and having been in the Alps quiet some times, I would really advise not to travel there in August. It's the hottest month and by far the busiest, because all of Europe has their summer holidays that month!
The mountain roads are small compared to US roads, and full of bicycles (many more than you can imagine), caravans and RV's. Not really fun to slalom around these all the time...

If possible you should visit in June or September, although in June some high mountain passes can still be closed. The weather and riding conditions are much better those months.
And to your original question, no I don't know the Maximal tours company.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry, again I have no experience of them. They go to some great destinations, but it's all too brief - if you enjoy it, try for a longer tour next time.

Venice - you will be getting the water-taxi into the city, from the Lido de J. It is a must see place, but it gets blighted by some huge cruise ships dumping literally thousands of visitors ashore, all at once. See if you can get a good steer from the hotel on timing. You may be aware already that flooding has been bad this winter, so some sights may need repairs sadly. Never sit at a table in St Marks Square, unless your pockets are ridiculously deep - the prices are eye-watering. Just have a good wander around the side alleys, away from the main sites & things get more sensible. Drinks are always cheaper taken at the bar, but some will insist on table service only.

Ride safe & have a great time.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I'll chime in by advising against using a touring company. I did a self-guided 13 day tour of the Alps 10 years ago. Rented a K1300GT out of Munich. Had a BALL!

Duane

·
Registered
445 Posts
I can't give much advice, because I really don't know you.

There are people I know, who I would absolutely advise that they use a touring company where everything, including a ride leader, is provided. These people who don't want to "stress" over directions, where to eat or where to stop for the night. They are not too concerned about pace or following others, who may not ride at the pace they prefer. They can follow slower riders without becoming disgruntled. They generally prefer to be in groups and it isn't just about the ride. Generally want to see as much as possible while traveling.

Then there are people I know, who would be absolutely frustrated by slower paces, early arrivals, early/late departures, or frequent stops for gas, lunch or sightseeing. These are the folks that don't worry too much about finding a place last minute (because there always will be one), nor how to get from one place to another. They aren't upset if they don't see everything. I would recommend against a tour company for these people. There are various levels of this scenario, all the way to rent a bike and you are on your own. There are also companies who give you a bike with a GPS and routes, then you take off. Others that will set up routes, lodging, suggestions for meal stops, etc, but not provide a leader. These people in these categories are various degrees of flexible and deal better with ambiguity.

I tend to be one that rolls almost everything myself. I can usually find a website with a lot of different motorcycle routes recommended that I cobble together for my trips, such as a few of these: Scotland, Pyrenees, Spain and there are these sites for about anywhere you want to go in Europe! I build maps for my GPS from OpenStreetMap but it took some work. All in all, I derive about as much pleasure planning my next ride as I do actually riding it.

So, there you go, no advice from me! :)

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I planned our trip to the Alps with the aid of John Hermann's book (see link below). This book should be considered the "Alps touring bible". I took my own NAV pre-loaded with Alps maps. We based our trip out of three locations, Hinterthal, Austria (4 nights), Arabba, IT (6 nights), and Garmisch, Germany (3 nights). All motels offered 'half-board', e.g. room price included breakfast and dinner meals.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Alps-Beyond/dp/0760366934/ref=asc_df_0760366934/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289992202&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14338923769666006762&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007561&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-803824863993&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78795692120&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289992202&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14338923769666006762&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007561&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-803824863993

Duane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts