BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Metzeler Roadtec 01 (HWM)? Anyone had these tires on your K16? I had no choice as I was in dire need as I was passing through Colorado en route to the east coast a few days ago. The BMW dealership was fresh out of my usual choice, the Michelin PR4GTs and I couldn't wait. Is it just my imagination or do these Metzelers run with a slightly coarse feel that seems to be felt as a slight buzziness in the grips? And could it be that the bike tracks with slightly less linear stability? At 70+ mph it seems to waver ever so slightly, as if it's fighting an imaginary crosswind.

Today it occurred to me that - assuming I'm not imagining these symptoms - they may be related to the surprising number of weights that were required to balance the front wheel - 12 in all, six on each side of the rim. The service manager made a point of noting this, being surprised at the number required.

I doubt that I've ever had a new tire that required that much weight added to the wheel to get a good balance (and they assured me that the wheel is in fact balanced).

Input?

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I believe the front Roadtec 01 tire is made in China. Some here are using the Z8 front tire and the 01 back tire.

Reactions: cbpip

·
International Man of Mystery
3,414 Posts
This is the combo I will try out next week. No Chinese made tires on any of my vehicles. Well except wheelbarrow.....

Reactions: PRS

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I am on my second set of 01s on my K1600 and am on my third set on my R1200R. These tires do have a minor, but perceptible course feeling, most likely due to the deeper added sipes in the front tire for wet riding performance. However, even with this characteristic, they are the best tires by far and bar none that I have ever had on a road bike. PR4s cant hold a candle to them. In the German Mottorad comparo for this year, the O1s came out ahead in every category. I find that these tires track like the bike is on rails and generally keep their profile throughout the very long life of the tires, unlike the PR4s that suffer from significant, and ever worsening deteriorated performance before they are half used up. Handling remains neutral. The bike does not fall heavily into turns and one does not need to wrestle the bike to pull them out of turns. That the front tire is made in China (or, at least the first batch of them were) should not be a concern. German robots make them. The robots don't know that they are in China. The tires were engineered in Germany and are made of the same materials as Metzler specifies for the rear tires, which are made by German robots in Germany.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've got M 01s on my FJR. Suits a long wheelbase bike well; gives a lighter, more sporty feel. However, very little weight was needed to get balanced. However, in the OPs case, I venture to suggest that the dealer should check out the fitting - this doesn't sound right to me.

A simple visual check can be made, just by setting the bike on it's mainstand, add some weight to the rear carrier to raise the front wheel & spin it to see if there is any run out visible. Does the bead run true. Is the positioning 'spot' for the valve aligned correctly. Did the tyre bead 'pop' fully onto the wells in the rim. Is there any unusual tumbling noise that could be say the TP sensor cut loose, or debris left behind in the tyre carcass??

I had similar symptoms with my Hayabusa a few years back, when I switched to Metzler Z8s for touring. My tyre guy needed some persuading to remove the front tyre & start over, but accepted in the end that the bead just hadn't set correctly - refitted & balanced, now with minimal weight needed & the handling returned to normal.

Ride Safe ........................ KEN

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put over 9K miles on a pair of Metz 01's on my GTL and they performed perfectly. I'm now half way through my second pair and they're a mirror image of the first pair (so far). I think they're solid in mileage, wear, traction wet or dry and money well spent. Just my 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Has anyone tried the Sportec M9 RRs? They are showing as compatible with the GTL on their website.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Metzeler Roadtec 01 (HWM)? Anyone had these tires on your K16? I had no choice as I was in dire need as I was passing through Colorado en route to the east coast a few days ago. The BMW dealership was fresh out of my usual choice, the Michelin PR4GTs and I couldn't wait. Is it just my imagination or do these Metzelers run with a slightly coarse feel that seems to be felt as a slight buzziness in the grips? And could it be that the bike tracks with slightly less linear stability? At 70+ mph it seems to waver ever so slightly, as if it's fighting an imaginary crosswind.

Today it occurred to me that - assuming I'm not imagining these symptoms - they may be related to the surprising number of weights that were required to balance the front wheel - 12 in all, six on each side of the rim. The service manager made a point of noting this, being surprised at the number required.

I doubt that I've ever had a new tire that required that much weight added to the wheel to get a good balance (and they assured me that the wheel is in fact balanced).

Input?
I have had 2 sets of Roadtech 01’s on my 1600 GT Sport, and rock steady all the way up to 155 mph (GPS Speed, on a track of course) good wear and would always get them on my bike, not saying others not as good but I have never had problems with them

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had 4 sets of Metzeler's on my bike. It came with Z-8's and then switched to Roadtec 01's. Rock steady, especially in the rain and very good milage. All my tires were made in Germany.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I have had 4 sets of Metzeler's on my bike. It came with Z-8's and then switched to Roadtec 01's. Rock steady, especially in the rain and very good milage. All my tires were made in Germany.
Could you double check that front tire? In the past the back was made in Germany but the front was made in China. Metzler is owned by Pirelli and Pirelli is owned by ChemChina.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts

Input?
I've had the 01's on my 18 GTL for the last 7,000 kms (4,500 +/-). They're a good tyre offering lots of grip in all conditions. The balance issue is interesting, mine were fitted by my local BMW dealer and required a lot of weights to balance compared to the two previous sets of Dunlop Rs III's. Longevity may also be an issue. At 7,000 kms they are showing signs of wear, according to my local tyre guy who replaced a great strip of weights that fell off the rear onto the garage floor? My previous Rs III's achieved 14,000 kms (8,000 miles +/-) before needing replacement.

Noise wise I do notice a reverberation in the fairing, which was not evident with the Rs III's, but its slight. I'm hoping the new Rs IV's will be available here in Austria by the time I need to replace the 01's to see how they fair.

My front 01 is a Chinese version which is, in and of itself a reason not to go there again, despite that they're apparently made on German machines using German material?

I will write to Dunlop Europe and ask when we can expect the Rs IV's.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts