BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Not officially. Have only read the lengthy thread chronicling the rear tire being too wide for post '16 bikes because it rubs the swing-arm.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I so knew it is coming sooner then we thought. This whole issue was a red flag in my book. I do not see any issues with mine, yet !!! I leave it alone. Sadly for some, this will be a headache. Happy and safe and rub free riding.....!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I so knew it is coming sooner then we thought. This whole issue was a red flag in my book. I do not see any issues with mine, yet !!! I leave it alone. Sadly for some, this will be a headache. Happy and safe and rub free riding.....!!!!
Hopefully, this is all good news, except for the PITA of having to take the bikes back in to swap out tires. I have the same situation, and with tons of clearance on mine (so far), I'm keeping them. But if this happens, doing the right thing will make a difference with me going forward as to continuing to do business with Michelin. I won't call myself a "loyal customer" of Michelin in the sense that I buy nothing else, but they're always on the "short list" of options, and I have often bought their tires.

Heck, it's even possible BMW gave them some money under the table to fall on the sword and leave possible BMW fault out of it, but fixing this issue for the customer was critical. Hopefully, this is all good news, except for the PITA of having to take the bikes back in to swap out tires.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Not officially. Have only read the lengthy thread chronicling the rear tire being too wide for post '16 bikes because it rubs the swing-arm.
"Lengthy" is putting it politely. In that thread, everyone has stopped (and with good reason) going off on any Johnny-Come-Lately posters to read the entire thread before posting. We're approaching novel length with it, and like any novel, there are lots of plot twists. And we still haven't gotten to the end, but hopefully it's now in sight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I am in a good position and not so good position. I need new tires but found the thread concerning the 5GTs before buying any. I have been looking at Pirelli’s website and it seems they no longer list the Angel 2GT for a 2018GTL same goes for Dunlap’s so what’s left that is rated for our heavy bikes? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated since this is my first replacement of the tires.

Thanks,
Scruffy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
I just mounted Dunlops RSIIIs on my ‘18. Metzeler RoadTec 01s HWM??

Reactions: onad and Geoff_3

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pirelli angel gt 2’s baby!

Did the dragon in a storm. My buddy said the water was moving up behind me and looked like a rooster tail. Carving canyons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm feeling a little left out. :rolleyes: The Road 5 GT rubbed on my 2014 GTLE too. I think the old adage of "trust, but verify!" is appropriate here. (y) I don't need to worry about a recall since my dealer refunded me my money, but it would be a good thing for Michelin or BMW to provide a little information, which would likely come with a recall.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just called Michelin US and they acknowledged they will replace the 5GT tires on the K1600 bikes. They told me to contact my dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I just called Michelin US and they acknowledged they will replace the 5GT tires on the K1600 bikes. They told me to contact my dealer.
Yeah, baby!

Now for the next step...come up with a fix, either from BMW or Michelin, for those who like the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Pirelli angel gt 2’s baby!
Did the dragon in a storm. My buddy said the water was moving up behind me and looked like a rooster tail. Carving canyons
This one is nice to know, since they were, and maybe still will be, my next option!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Angel 2GTs are an option although I am concerned based on other comments that they wander very badly on rain groved highways. Anyone have experience with the Avon Spirit ST? I have run Avon's on my 2005 Concours wit good results.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Had one of the guys who works in the service department at the Denver BMW dealership drop by this afternoon while I was mowing the lawn and I asked him if he was aware of the Road 5 GT issue...he was. His take on it: the Road 5 GT tires are just designed too wide to be used for the K bikes. He said the majority of issues that have appeared at the Denver dealership are on the baggers. I also asked him about the fact there is a different swingarm part number for the 2017+ years and asked him if the part was redesigned...he said no redesign...said the part numbers get changed all the time for various reasons other than the part specs changing. So...that is the current view coming out of one BMW service department...can't say that is the actual ground truth of it all after more and more might come to light, but I certainly won't argue with that. Will continue to watch for developments on the tire situation.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just mounted Dunlops RSIIIs on my ‘18. Metzeler RoadTec 01s HWM??
James, I have the Metzeler RoadTec O1 and can not fault them, I am not sure what mileage I will get, but!! they stick to the road like glue including the rides I have done in the rain. So I would use them again. When it comes to a good safe tyre I don't care if I have to replace them more often but like most guys with a Scottish background lol don't:cool::rolleyes: like spending the money unless it is for my bike or car haha!!!

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
James, I have the Metzeler RoadTec O1 and can not fault them, I am not sure what mileage I will get, but!! they stick to the road like glue including the rides I have done in the rain. So I would use them again. When it comes to a good safe tyre I don't care if I have to replace them more often but like most guys with a Scottish background lol don't:cool::rolleyes: like spending the money unless it is for my bike or car haha!!!
I had the Metzeler 01's too. They rode great. The problem with them is the same problem the 08's had: you can't tell when they are near being worn out. They look good one day then the steel belts show.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts