BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I have zero issue with rubbing on mine and I ride it like it’s meant to be ridden. Very strange. I love the tire personally.
If you replace it with the same tire model, you may want to keep an eye on whether that tire is also clearing properly for you...we don't have examples, at this point, of someone having a success story with one tire and rubbing with another for the same bike. Could be we never will...just lacking that sort of data right now. Would be interesting if two folks in the same area, one that has rubbing and one that doesn't, could swap year tires temporarily and see if the problem moves from bike to bike or not.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Even without trying them, one would expect it from the two center grooves in the design. @Arizona Jim just put an Avon Storm rear on, IIRC, with good early results, if that's close enough, and I think Avon say the Spirit is supposed to grip a bit better. I may go the Avon route for a try with my next set, depending on how long and how well the 5GTs hold up, and whether or not they make a slightly narrower version going forward.

FWIW, despite my praise of the Michelin 5GT, it does not like tar snakes on a curvy road. Unless you're trying to ride like Rossi, they'll just sometimes slide over the snake and hook up immediately on the good road to the outside of the snake, but on the rare curvy, mountain road with tar snakes (here, at least, by far the usual application is on wide, smooth, straight highways), I just slow down a little bit, because of inertia, and the fact that preventing a slide is easier than stopping one that's already started. If this would bother someone, make a different choice, totally apart from the too-wide issue.
I have to admit I have raced on Avons back in the '70s lol a long time ago I know, but had great results with them over the years even with my Victory that had the Dunlop E3 tyres that if it looked as if it was going to rain they started sliding all over the place and never felt safe on them So changed that to an Avon Cobra back then and they were fantastic handing in all conditions.I still ride fast and corner hard even for an old fart and just over a weeks time I turn 66 so should wake up to my self and slow down, :cool::rolleyes: lol But having said that I don't do anything silly or put anyone in danger, but love fast corners and twisty roads along with a good blast on a nice straight bit of road too.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi folks,
I just called Michelin headquaters in Clermont-Ferrand France (i'm a french member of this forum) about this issue and the answer feels good :
  • YES in some cases (bike huge loaded) the rear PR5GT tire could rubb the swing arm
  • YES it is not aesthetic
  • NO there is NO RISK = you can continue to ride your bike without any risk as they said
  • YES PR5GT is no more referenced for all K1600, only PR4 is ok exclusively for aesthetic reasons not for security reasons
There will be no recall for this issue in France as there is zero risk, for US this is your domestic agreements with Michelin US that will be applicable = feel good that Michelin is used to place customer satisfaction at the first place so you'll find a good deal with them.
Hope this could calm your fears :)
Regardless of their opinion aka Michelins, if the tyre/tire was designed to fit and suit all K1600`s as you mentioned and they rub on the frames then that I am afraid is a design fault regardless of what B.S. they wish to through at you and anyone else. Plus just the fact by the tyre/tire rubbing on the frame/swingarm is still wearing on the swingarm thus not fitting the bike they say it is designed and would also have to add heat from the friction of rubbing of the recommended fitment. I agree the company has been around for years and makes millions or whatever amount of tyres/tires but in this case, they have it clearly wrong in my opinion.I am sure any court would agree that if there is no clearance or tolerance between the tyre/tire and bike parts then there is an issue regardless with the tyre/tire, this is just my opinion and observations although I am also sure there would be a lot of engineers and experts that would agree.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Regardless of their opinion aka Michelins, if the tyre/tire was designed to fit and suit all K1600`s as you mentioned and they rub on the frames then that I am afraid is a design fault regardless of what B.S. they wish to through at you and anyone else. Plus just the fact by the tyre/tire rubbing on the frame/swingarm is still wearing on the swingarm thus not fitting the bike they say it is designed and would also have to add heat from the friction of rubbing of the recommended fitment. I agree the company has been around for years and makes millions or whatever amount of tyres/tires but in this case, they have it clearly wrong in my opinion.I am sure any court would agree that if there is no clearance or tolerance between the tyre/tire and bike parts then there is an issue regardless with the tyre/tire, this is just my opinion and observations although I am also sure there would be a lot of engineers and experts that would agree.
the Popi guy was a plant...just read the replies, and He's gone "crickets" since then. Don't waste your breath.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Well the EOL for my PR5GT's is coming up fast I've got a little over 9K on this set both front and back are wearing at the same rate looking at the wear bars. I don't have a rub and I'm sure the next set will fit the same way so I'm going to replace these with another set because I really like the response these tires give in the handling department. I've used the PR4GT and I liked them but the PR5GT's feel more secure. I also used the PR5 on my B and they handled really well and as a side benefit they gave a slightly softer ride.

Getting back to Michelin I don't see what the huge problem is the rub area is just a rib of rubber that does nothing for the performance of the tire and can be easily removed on the next batch by welding up the molds in that area and re-machining it smooth probably less than a days worth of work.

I'll let you know how the next set fit in a couple weeks...................................

·
Registered
68 Posts
I received an email from my dealer along with the official statement from Michelin. I have the 5GT on my GA and with about 1000 miles I don't see evidence of rubbing. I am told that they will replace the rear tire only with the 4GT at no charge. They also claim that while they are willing to do this, the rubbing will at most cause a blemish problem but not a structural problem. I have a tendency to believe this as that part of the tire is wide to the point that if it does wear down a little it shouldn't really be an issue. And obviously it would stop wearing down at a certain point. So considering I am happy with the 5GT, do I take up Michelin's offer and replace it with the 4GT or do I keep the 5GT? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I received an email from my dealer along with the official statement from Michelin. I have the 5GT on my GA and with about 1000 miles I don't see evidence of rubbing. I am told that they will replace the rear tire only with the 4GT at no charge. They also claim that while they are willing to do this, the rubbing will at most cause a blemish problem but not a structural problem. I have a tendency to believe this as that part of the tire is wide to the point that if it does wear down a little it shouldn't really be an issue. And obviously it would stop wearing down at a certain point. So considering I am happy with the 5GT, do I take up Michelin's offer and replace it with the 4GT or do I keep the 5GT? Opinions?
If it's not rubbing, it's not a problem. If you like the tires, use em up and ask for a voucher for a future replacement, maybe they'll offer it

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Can you post the " official statement" ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a follow up, I brought my bike to the dealer and we see no evidence of rubbing. I can get a credit card through with no effort. So I’m going to keep the 5GT. I’ll check again at my next service in 1500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Angel 2GTs are an option although I am concerned based on other comments that they wander very badly on rain groved highways. Anyone have experience with the Avon Spirit ST? I have run Avon's on my 2005 Concours wit good results.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Just rolled 800 plus miles on a new pair of the Angel 2GT’s. Beautiful section of highway 15 from Williamsport PA into NY state was run at speeds north of 80mph and they felt more stable in the turns than the original Battle Ax. I did find they would swim a little more than the original tires on the grooved concrete highway, but nothing alarming or concerning to me. Very sticky in the turns and stopped great in one emergency braking situation when a young teenager pulled his farm tractor right into traffic without looking...

·
Registered
525 Posts
That they are replacing the Road 5 based on tread wear makes me feel better since I just replaced my Road 5 with a PR 4, but didn't save the Road 5.

Got over 10K miles on the Road 5 and no issue with tire or swing arm.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Michelin approved my dealer to replace the PR5GT with a PR4GT at no cost to me. Took an hour today so I'm back riding again :ROFLMAO: :D:ROFLMAO::D

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Today I went and got my new PR5GT's mounted as I put 10K on the old ones. I did notice just the paint and or power coat on the swing arm had the same thin stripe as the tire missing but it didn't touch the aluminum so I'm guessing it's more of a sand blasting effect due to the small clearance. I posted a pic of the worn tires. There was enough meat on them for a couple more K but the rear tire found a new friend and that made 4 plugs so ..............................

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Michelin approved my dealer to replace the PR5GT with a PR4GT at no cost to me. Took an hour today so I'm back riding again :ROFLMAO: :D:ROFLMAO::D
Nice. My dealer is making me pay up front to order the replacement tire and also the labor to change the tires. then I may get reimbursed.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Nice. My dealer is making me pay up front to order the replacement tire and also the labor to change the tires. then I may get reimbursed.
Did you call Michelin? They gave me a case number which my dealer then used to order and install a PR4 at no cost to me.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts