BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is NOT an endorsement of any product. I'm only bringing it to the attention of the readership that Michelin has introduced the Road 6 and Road 6 GT tire. Though after looking at their website (below) they're advertising the correct tire size, speed and weight specs (front and rear) for the K1600. However the new tires are not on the recommended list for our machines.

It's only the first day, maybe they're waiting for some real world data before putting the K1600 on the list of recommended tires to avoid the issues of the Road 5 and Road 5 GT rear tire not fitting well debacle. Time will tell..

MICHELIN Road 6 | MICHELIN Motorcycle sport touring tire (michelinman.com)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Even more mileage. I hope they fit!

Been using (Pilot) Roads since switching to the PR 2 from Metzler, mainly for longevity. Then the the wet grip of the PR3s made me a loyal customer. And they just keep getting better.

Pilot Road 2 - #1 for wet grip and got 8 to 10K miles
Pilot Road 3 - Siping change gave more wet grip, slightly more mileage, and quieter.
Pilot Road 4 - 20% more life than 3's. 1st time ever got 12K from a mc tire!
Road 5 - I couldn't tell any changes, but still #1 for wet grip.
Road 6 - Advertises 10% more life, 15% more wet grip. So up to 13,500 miles!

·
Registered
515 Posts
If people can run car tires, then I'm not worried about those trivial tire specs, lmfao. Tread pattern looks pretty cool. Maybe I will have to stray from my RS3's and check em out :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Even more mileage. I hope they fit!

Been using (Pilot) Roads since switching to the PR 2 from Metzler, mainly for longevity. Then the the wet grip of the PR3s made me a loyal customer. And they just keep getting better.

Pilot Road 2 - #1 for wet grip and got 8 to 10K miles
Pilot Road 3 - Siping change gave more wet grip, slightly more mileage, and quieter.
Pilot Road 4 - 20% more life than 3's. 1st time ever got 12K from a mc tire!
Road 5 - I couldn't tell any changes, but still #1 for wet grip.
Road 6 - Advertises 10% more life, 15% more wet grip. So up to 13,500 miles!
With all the advertised increases in tire life we should be nearing a point where a set of tires lasts 2-3 bikes. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the road 4 gt for a couple of years and loved that tire. I have road 5 on my k1600b. I'll keep tabs on how the road 6 compares while I wear this set down. I've been getting great mileage using m9rr but that's on my s1000rr because they don't make the road series in 200/55/17

·
Registered
2021 K1600B Kalamatta
453 Posts
I used the road 4 gt for a couple of years and loved that tire. I have road 5 on my k1600b. I'll keep tabs on how the road 6 compares while I wear this set down. I've been getting great mileage using m9rr but that's on my s1000rr because they don't make the road series in 200/55/17
I’ll be interested in your mileage on the 5’s and 6. I thought the rear 5 would t fit?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I’ll be interested in your mileage on the 5’s and 6. I thought the rear 5 would t fit?
I got 12k miles mostly hwy miles out of both a Road 5 rear and two fronts.

They fit standing still, but the rear tire can rub the swing arm under load. Apparently there can be like 1/4" variance in tires.

I ran my rear with no problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got about 11.5k miles from my last set on my K1600GTL (I did not have swing arm rub) - I had also spoken to the Michelin Rep at the Mt. Rally who had said that the issue with swing arm rub would be fixed on the Road 6s. 10 percent increase would be almost 13k. Gonna have to try these next.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I got about 11.5k miles from my last set on my K1600GTL (I did not have swing arm rub) - I had also spoken to the Michelin Rep at the Mt. Rally who had said that the issue with swing arm rub would be fixed on the Road 6s. 10 percent increase would be almost 13k. Gonna have to try these next.
For me to get to 11.5k miles, I'd need a 100% increase (or more)! I just can't imagine how anyone gets that distance on any rear tire on a K1600.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have tried many tires over the past 7 yrs on my K1600 GT bikes....14 sets of tires on my 2014 GT and currently on my 3rd set of tires on my 2020 GT that I bought earlier this year. My personal preference for my style of riding has been the Metzler RoadTec 01. Most tires last between 8 - 9K miles. The best mileage was on a RT01 at 9350 miles and worst mileage was on a PR5GT at 6500 miles. I like the way the RT01 handle as well for spirited riding.

Most recently I put on the Dunlop RS IV's which turned out to be a very good tire. I just set a new personal mileage record at 11.2K miles on the set. I will admit that 6800 of those miles were put on one long distance trip which was more scenic riding than spirited riding but still way better mileage than I have ever got in the past under similar circumstances.

The Dunlop and Metzler tires prices are way better than the Michelin's so I really don't see a reason to try out the PR6. Tires are very subjective and every tire has trade-offs. Whatever makes you happy should be what you put on your bike. Ride On!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts