BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
As everyone here will want to know, please reply on this thread whether the rear rubs on the swing arm like the Road 5 is prone to do.
I would be almost certain that it wouldn't after Michelin clearly knew about the issue and pulled the 5 from the list of recommended tires for the K. I think a simple measurement of the crosssection would give a good indication on whether they tried to address it or not. If it is just 5mm narrower, it is probably fine.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Video about 6 GT here

·
Mr.Fix It
9,044 Posts
Michelin and the other tire manufacturers are playing catch up to the Dunlop RS IV. I hope it's a better tire, I'm always looking to improve mileage w/o sacrificing performance.

Duane

Reactions: Rick92040

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Michelin and the other tire manufacturers are playing catch up to the Dunlop RS IV. I hope it's a better tire, I'm always looking to improve mileage w/o sacrificing performance.

Duane
I just checked my tire records, and my Dunlap RS IVs are approaching 10,000 miles. :oops: There certainly have been some easy freeway miles, but I've ridden some hard backroad slabbing from LA to the MOA Rally in Montana, and the tire eating @Arizona Jim Fall Ride. The 2-up IBA Saddle Sore 1000 I recently did with my wife wasn't always on the best pavement. It might be wishful thinking, but I think I can squeeze another 2,000 miles out of the set.

·
Retired angry palm tree driver
1,456 Posts
New boots fitted this morning, good price, nil balance weights needed on the back and only 10gm on the front. And a good discount as a loyal customer 👍. I got 9,006kms out of the last R5GTs but while the back was still perfectly wearing at 4mm tread depth shoulder to shoulder the front was down to 1mm in places on the right side.

First impressions were tipping in far faster than new R5s ever did: that awful sensation of going to go too far and fall over! Cornering was excellent, over to the second marker bar by coffee at 40kms 👍☕

The new construction for was explained to me along with feedback from another spirited K16 rider who has been out in our torrential rain bomb and found the R6 handles as well in the wet as in the dry. Apparently the harder centre compound now extends under the outer soft compound, tapering off toward the edge of the tyre, so it is expected not to wear so fiercely and quickly on the front tyre.

Let’s hope they are right, but the bar steward thing now pulls left harder than usual: just as I had an almost neutral response from the old R5s 🤪😂

·
Called in sick; gone riding 🏍
4,933 Posts
New boots fitted this morning, good price, nil balance weights needed on the back and only 10gm on the front. And a good discount as a loyal customer 👍. I got 9,006kms out of the last R5GTs but while the back was still perfectly wearing at 4mm tread depth shoulder to shoulder the front was down to 1mm in places on the right side.

First impressions were tipping in far faster than new R5s ever did: that awful sensation of going to go too far and fall over! Cornering was excellent, over to the second marker bar by coffee at 40kms 👍☕

The new construction for was explained to me along with feedback from another spirited K16 rider who has been out in our torrential rain bomb and found the R6 handles as well in the wet as in the dry. Apparently the harder centre compound now extends under the outer soft compound, tapering off toward the edge of the tyre, so it is expected not to wear so fiercely and quickly on the front tyre.

Let’s hope they are right, but the bar steward thing now pulls left harder than usual: just as I had an almost neutral response from the old R5s 🤪😂
Still running a 180 on the rear ?

·
Mr.Fix It
9,044 Posts
Watching, as Id like to go cross country USA and assume that means riding in the rain....
Any of the "top of the line" sport touring tires are well suited for riding in the rain; e.g. Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc. My current favorite is the Dunlop RS IV.

Duane

Reactions: TarkusNY and onad

·
Boom
730 Posts
I would be almost certain that it wouldn't after Michelin clearly knew about the issue and pulled the 5 from the list of recommended tires for the K. I think a simple measurement of the crosssection would give a good indication on whether they tried to address it or not. If it is just 5mm narrower, it is probably fine.
All that finger pointing when the 5 came out and it took two years for the recall notice to be issued on the swingarm part...perhaps nothing ever wrong with the 5...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I hadn't heard of a recall so I looked it up. It appears that a chamfer was not cut correctly at the pivot, possibly resulting in a loose pivot bolt. I don't believe that would affect the space between the tire and swingarm. Might affect the space between your rear end and the asphalt, however!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
All that finger pointing when the 5 came out and it took two years for the recall notice to be issued on the swingarm part...perhaps nothing ever wrong with the 5...
I had a 5...it was most certainly wrong. They replaced my tire for free, so they even agreed it was wrong. No other tire rubs, it can't be the bike when it is only one tire out of dozens of options that has an issue.

·
1,456 Posts
I hadn't heard of a recall so I looked it up. It appears that a chamfer was not cut correctly at the pivot, possibly resulting in a loose pivot bolt. I don't believe that would affect the space between the tire and swingarm. Might affect the space between your rear end and the asphalt, however!
The R5GT recall was nothing to do with the bike swingarm pivot bolt. It was the tyre width being at the extreme of construction tolerances and thus rubbing on the inside of the swingarm.

Discussed to death here 🤔 👍

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think two issues are being addressed here. My comment was about a swingarm recall, not a tire recall. You are absolutely correct that the Michelin recall was not related to the swingarm pivot. That is a separate concern. Information lacks detail, but here's an example of what's out there.

Alert number: A12/00421/22

Published on 17/03/2022 in web report Report-2022-11

Risk type Injuries
Notifying country Germany Alert number A12/00421/22

The rear strut link may have insufficient strength due to a part that does not meet the specifications and may deteriorate over time. This could affect rider handling and control, increasing the risk of an accident.
The product does not comply with the Regulation on the approval and market surveillance of two or three wheel vehicles and quadricycles.
Category Motor vehicles Product Motorcycle

Description Motorcycle Packaging description No information Brand BMW Motorrad
NameK 1600 GT, K 1600 GTL, K 1600 BAGGER EC-type approval/model 2T16, 2T16r
e1*168/2013*00010*, e1*168/2013*00011*
Production dates 19.07.2018 - 29.06.2020
Company recall code 0000334600
Is the product counterfeit? No
Measures
Measures ordered by economic operators (to: Manufacturer)
Recall of the product from end users

·
1,456 Posts
I think two issues are being addressed here. My comment was about a swingarm recall, not a tire recall. You are absolutely correct that the Michelin recall was not related to the swingarm pivot. That is a separate concern. Information lacks detail, but here's an example of what's out there.

Alert number: A12/00421/22

Published on 17/03/2022 in web report Report-2022-11

Risk type Injuries
Notifying country Germany Alert number A12/00421/22

The rear strut link may have insufficient strength due to a part that does not meet the specifications and may deteriorate over time. This could affect rider handling and control, increasing the risk of an accident.
The product does not comply with the Regulation on the approval and market surveillance of two or three wheel vehicles and quadricycles.
Category Motor vehicles Product Motorcycle

Description Motorcycle Packaging description No information Brand BMW Motorrad
NameK 1600 GT, K 1600 GTL, K 1600 BAGGER EC-type approval/model 2T16, 2T16r
e1*168/2013*00010*, e1*168/2013*00011*
Production dates 19.07.2018 - 29.06.2020
Company recall code 0000334600
Is the product counterfeit? No
Measures
Measures ordered by economic operators (to: Manufacturer)
Recall of the product from end users
The clue is in the thread title: it’s about the Michelin tyre 🤔👍

·
Premium Member
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
60 Posts
I just replaced my Pirelli Angel GT 2's (A spec) with the Road 6 GT. I really liked the Pirelli's. They inspired so much confidence in the corners, easy tip-in, and superb wet weather performance that I was hesitant to switch, but the mileage kinda sucked. The rear was down to 3/32 at a little over 4300 miles and I figured I could get another 500 - 800 miles out of them, then I got a puncture in the rear that forced my hand to replace. The Michelin's are a harder rubber than Pirelli and I am finding that the rear end is much looser in the corners than the Angel's to the point where they scared me a little bit. There just doesn't seem to be the same grip, which makes sense if it is a harder rubber compound

61 - 80 of 89 Posts