BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not a lot of detail there on the difference between the Standard and GT tire. Interesting that they're shipping the new RT with the PR4 tires though.
The GT's have a harder sidewall with the same load rating, from what I understand.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Interesting.. I have a fairly fresh set of pr3b's on the k16 now so I'm not in the market for a bit. I'm sure there will be plent of post about millage and handling before I need to swap out. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for posting

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
My front PR3 will be worn out in May and the rear in June. I would like to get away from the sipping on the front PR3.

·
Super Moderator
16,841 Posts
Press Release:

Michelin has once again pushed the limits of braking. On wet surfaces, the new tyre’s braking distance is shorter than that of its main competitors.

In 2014 Michelin will bring to market an all-new range of motorcycle tyres, available in three versions: the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail.

Intended for road use only, these tyres cover most categories of road motorcycles of more than 600cc.They were designed to deliver maximum safety in the most common conditions of use, especially on wet roads and in particular when braking.

Michelin will also be the tyre supplier for the new BMW R 1200 RT with the GT version of its new tyre. The fact that BMW has selected the Pilot Road 4 for this bike – the bestselling bike in its category – reflects the level of performance it provides.

In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 delivers enhanced safety in all situations and extended tyre life. They are a tangible illustration of Michelin’s Total Performance strategy of constantly and simultaneously improving tyre performance characteristics across the board.

With the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres, the aim is to enable as many motorcyclists as possible to experience safe riding in nearly all conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
My front PR3 will be worn out in May and the rear in June. I would like to get away from the sipping on the front PR3.
Looks like the PR4 is heavily siped up as well, maybe back to the PR2 with much less siping?

·
Registered
185 Posts
What exactly is sipping? I just installed a new set of PR 3's recently and have not heard this word used before now

Thanks
Mark T.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
What exactly is sipping? I just installed a new set of PR 3's recently and have not heard this word used before now

Thanks
Mark T.
Grooves that make up the tread pattern

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I can't find anyone with them in stock...where did you purchase yours?

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Grooves that make up the tread pattern
Generally refers to the very fine grooves, almost cuts, that provide more overall tread compliance (flexibility) in the direction perpendicular to the sipes. These are to be contrasted with the grooves and channels that make up the usual tread pattern. They are notorious for feathering but the PR3s seem pretty immune to the problem in my two runs with them.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Bob's BMW is checking their suppliers but presently do not show the PR4 as an option for ordering. I'm just about due for my 18,000 mile service, the recall update, and a set of tires and assuming I can get the tires in the next month or so I'll be scheduling my maintenance visit when the tires come in.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Call me an old fashioned 45yr old, but the PR2's are hard to beat for longevity. I still may try out a set of 4's this spring, being they are supposedly +20% increase in life, maybe they will equal the Long-Life-King; PR2!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I just heard back from Bob's and their supplier is saying "Jan '14 availability." I'll probably wait and try to get the new tires since I'm not riding that much in the next month anyway.

I've never used the PR2s but would say, based upon my experience, that the PR3s are dang near magical. For context, I used up the OEM Bridgestones in 3,100 miles. I used up 1st set of PR3s used mainly in twisty road rides in about 6,000 miles. My last set of PR3s took me for a 7,100 mile lap of the USA with some good twisty work thrown in here and there and brought me back home with plenty of tread left. A tire that'll last that long on this torque monster running high speed touring and perform like it does in the wet and dry cornering is pretty darn amazing. And Michelin says the PR4 GT tires are better in every respect. What I don't know yet is how much they'll cost.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
This comes from the Michelin rep at Ocean City Bike Show last year.

PR2's compound is slightly harder than that of the PR3's, the 3's being slightly softer feature a better wet weather traction. The trade off for the better wet weather traction is less longevity. Hence why they still make and proudly sell both and are big sellers in each there own right.

PR2 = longevity
PR3 = better wet weather grip
PR4 = 20% more longevity than the PR3 (I'm thinking 'hopefully' as good as the PR2 but with the wet grip of the 3's)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts